PDA

View Full Version : New Sprocket

Mav_KFX400
03-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Ok i'm planing on going down a tooth on my front sprocket but i was just wondering if i would have to get a new chain? Also what's a good sprocket to get, one that won't fall apart or wear really fast.
Thanks

alberto
03-17-2009, 11:27 PM
I had to remove two links on my sons 400ex. I am still playing around with the gearing before I buy name brand. I bought a generic brand at the deal for less than 20 bucks. I went down one tooth on the front. I am thinking about going down one more.

Mav_KFX400
03-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Do you think it would be possible for me to just adjust the Axle back a ways?

sprayedgt
03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Dropping a tooth will not require taking out any links. You can adjust the slack via the chain adjuster.

Originally posted by alberto
I had to remove two links on my sons 400ex. I am still playing around with the gearing before I buy name brand. I bought a generic brand at the deal for less than 20 bucks. I went down one tooth on the front. I am thinking about going down one more.
How many teeth were on the 400ex sprocket to begin with?

Mav_KFX400
03-19-2009, 07:13 PM
Good that's what i really wanted to hear because i was thinking about putting the original sprocket back in at some point.

alberto
03-19-2009, 08:59 PM
I tried to adjust the tention when I changed out the sprocket, but there was still to much slack. Try it out you wont be losing anything. Half the fun is playing and tinkering with those things to see what works and what doesnt. Either way have fun and good luck. Let us know how it works. :)

Mav_KFX400
03-21-2009, 02:07 PM
i ordered the sprocket yesterday so it should be here early to mid week, soon as i get it on there i'll let ya know how it works

Thanks for all the help!!

Mav_KFX400
04-16-2009, 11:08 AM
i put it on a while ago and it just fit with adjusting the chain almost all of the way back. It did just what i wanted it to, my friend with pretty much the same mods of mine raced and i smoked him until we hit top speed then he passed me.(he was running stock gearing) i let some of my friends ride it also and they loved it. . . .

Thanks for all the help guys

sprayedgt
04-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Yeah you'll typically lose about 3-5 mph on the top end when dropping a tooth. It's not much to worry about. I'd rather get to a speed faster than be able to achieve a higher top speed.

alberto
04-18-2009, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the update. Glad it all worked out. Whats the next MOD?