PDA

View Full Version : hey all you R guys.. can you help me??

beags86
03-17-2009, 08:20 PM
hey i looking into buying a 250r, i have always wanted a R. now i have enough money to buy one. i have been floating around the 400ex pages since i found this site in Jan. i have a 400ex and get no respect and get beat in races about half the time. well i'm going to let my girl ride the ex and get a 250r. so i wanted to ask everyone in the "know" what yr R to get. i understand there were some changes in 88' from the 87' so which on is better to get? the 86'-87' or 88'-89'? i like the red fenders and frame mounted headlight of the 88'-89's but so far i have only found the 86'-87' R's with white plastic and handlebar mounted light.... any pros and cons about any yr? other then cosmetics.

thanks for your help!!

pdxbigfoot
03-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Is to really read all the threads on here.
There is tons and tons of good info and some really great threads.
I have spent countless nights on here and feel like i have gained a world of knowledge.

riderssb250x
03-17-2009, 09:04 PM
theres always gonna be problems somewhere its a 20 yearold bike maybe older,
search the threads theres tons of info but mainly 86 uses a shortrod crank 87 to 89 use longrod port changes a little in the newer rs 86 had a longer swingarm i beleive 1 inch longer

beags86
03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
yeah i have been lurking around the 250r page for a few weeks but i am just looking for something more cut and dry then some of the info on here.. i know a 20 yr quad won't be perfect and thats ok, i can fix most anything. but really is there a better one get from the start..

riderssb250x
03-18-2009, 06:59 PM
there all awesome quads just the 88-89 had a few more modern upgrades and the ditched the steel swinger and used an aluminum that was an inch shorter i beleive,

i have an 86 and love it just get something in good shape mainly dont worry abouth the year

bluetrx
03-18-2009, 07:23 PM
they are all basically the same, if you get an 86 or 87 and want that headlight integrated into the hood its no problem to install on earlier plastics. i personally dont like either stock headlight and prefer to run fullbore plastics with a pair of trail tech lights just under the front fenders. i ride on the sand where an extended swingarm is a must so i dont really have any knowledge on factory lengths i just know the one i made is 5'' longer than the stock one that came on it. i have never heard of an aluminum stock swingarm but dont have the knowledge to say they were never made. as was said the 87 to 89 longer rod length is definatly an advantage over the 86 a higher rod to stroke ratio reduces side thrust on the cylinder and frees up a little extra horsepower while increasing longevity. but again, if you have an 86 bottom end this is easily remedied as in my case with an aftermarket crank assembly, hot rods makes a 4mm stroker 5mm long rod crank. thats 5mm long rod if you put it in an 86 but stock length rod if you put it in a later motor. theres subtle diffrences in the frames, but none of the geometry changed only minor mounting locations. what im getting at is, if you plan to be modifying you bike while you own it the actual year will quickly become irrelevant.

beags86
03-18-2009, 07:26 PM
ok cool, then is there anything to look for when buying, cracked frame, common broken bolts, etc.. i know the 400ex frame cracks around the a- arms mounts, i bought mine and it was fine, but i didn't learn of this til i found this site.

so is there any thing to know that would reg flag a quad i might buy??

beags86
03-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by bluetrx
what im getting at is, if you plan to be modifying you bike while you own it the actual year will quickly become irrelevant.

yes i plan modifying it, but i don't do full on rebuilds with aftermarket everything, i would like to but i wallet doesn't allow it and really i don't need all that stuff for the type of rideing i do, most of the stock really works well for me, plus i want reliability in my stuff.

bluetrx
03-18-2009, 09:12 PM
the most common frame breaks are crushed bottom tubes from bottoming out, broken lower engine mounts see thread http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=388126
, and bent sub frames.

All250R
03-18-2009, 10:34 PM
the 87 to 89 longer rod length is definatly an advantage over the 86 a higher rod to stroke ratio reduces side thrust on the cylinder and frees up a little extra horsepower while increasing longevity

This isn't really true if you're thinking a longer rod simply equals more horsepower. If that were true Honda wouldn't have been running CR250's with teh short rod crank. The rod on the 85/86 ATV cranks are the same part number as the CR - however the CR retained the short rod while the detuned ATV got a long rod.

The port timing is more exaggerated with a short rod crank as well, along with less acceleration and deceleration of the piston - but the dwell is a little longer with the long rod - performance wise it's a tradeoff. Longevity probably goes to the long rod along with the restrictive bridged intake they got in 87 as well. Stock Transfers and exhaust ports were definitely improved on the later model cylinders though, and got more material to work with in the water jackets to support bigger ports, but the bridged intake I personally would rather do without.

if you have an 86 bottom end this is easily remedied as in my case with an aftermarket crank assembly, hot rods makes a 4mm stroker 5mm long rod crank. thats 5mm long rod if you put it in an 86 but stock length rod if you put it in a later motor.

You probably know that a longer rod does not equal more stroke. Nobody should think that it does. Stroker setups are a whole commitment to the crank AND cylinder. You can't just drop in a stroker crank without carefully modifying the top end along with it.

I personally like buying low hours 88-89 TRX's. I like the shorter swinger for a more nimble feel. I wrote a page on the topic of picking a good one if my opinions help you any. Good luck and do your maintenance before performance!

http://all250r.com/UsefulContent/BuyingATrx/BuyingATRX.htm

96_banshee_96
03-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Buy a YFZ 450. I will probly be flamed for saying that but I would take my YFZ over my Honda anyday.

As far as the differences in the yr R's thats been pretty much covered buy the other guys.

jcs003
03-19-2009, 06:43 AM
i have a 400ex and 86 250r and in my opinion the handling characteristics are close enough where you wont be lost when applying body english and predicting maneuvers.

the power on the 250 is instant and strong throught the powercurve, so you will really enjoy the thrill compared to a 4-stroke.

i rode alot of bikes and owned a banshee, warrior and have a EX the 250r is the best of the bunch. in conclusion get any year and make the aftermarket changes to suite you riding needs.

dunatic
03-19-2009, 08:36 AM
if you can find a 88-89 in good shape buy it:

better tranny ratio (5th-6th)

clutch update to the torrington bearing

long rod crank (better for later motor up grades)

shorter aluminum swinger arm

better rear suspension geometry

better front suspension geometry

body mounted headlight (better styling)

frame mounted footpegs (easier to buy
pro peg style nerfs or aftermarket pegs)

better cdi curve

if this isnt enough reason to buy one.....then dont.

jcs003
03-19-2009, 08:57 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_TRX250R

check this out it shows a side by side comparison with detailed description in the article.

beags86
03-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by dunatic
if you can find a 88-89 in good shape buy it:

better tranny ratio (5th-6th)

clutch update to the torrington bearing

long rod crank (better for later motor up grades)

shorter aluminum swinger arm

better rear suspension geometry

better front suspension geometry

body mounted headlight (better styling)

frame mounted footpegs (easier to buy
pro peg style nerfs or aftermarket pegs)

better cdi curve

if this isnt enough reason to buy one.....then dont.

thats the break down i was really looking for. along with the wikipedia. this infor has been great thanks to all... i have found some 87's i would think the longer swinger would be better. and can you feel a power diffence between a 86 and a 88?

trx250r 88
03-19-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
i have a 400ex and 86 250r and in my opinion the handling characteristics are close enough where you wont be lost when applying body english and predicting maneuvers.

the power on the 250 is instant and strong throught the powercurve, so you will really enjoy the thrill compared to a 4-stroke.

i rode alot of bikes and owned a banshee, warrior and have a EX the 250r is the best of the bunch. in conclusion get any year and make the aftermarket changes to suite you riding needs.

i totally agree,i have a 400ex and a 250r also,and could not be happier.:D

beags86
03-19-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by trx250r 88
i totally agree,i have a 400ex and a 250r also,and could not be happier.:D

so you guys are saying to keep in mind the 250r, and not buy another 400ex, cuz i was leaning that way til about a week ago when my uncles 250r gave me a spaking...lol now i need to beat him and since i am in the market, for another one quad and i always wanted a 250r, what better time then now??

beags86
03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
bump for some more good info!!:)

05LSR250R
03-21-2009, 08:10 AM
You really cant do any wrong with any year 250R!

I like the 88/89 years.
I've owned earlier model yrs. (86/87) and 88/89 yrs.
The longer swinger on the 86/87 will get you thru the rough better while hauling butt. But, it wont turn as well!
I'd lean toward the 88/89....but like I said you'll be happy no matter what year you end up with!

beags86
03-29-2009, 05:06 PM
well i just picked up a 86 R this weekend from quad9 i would have liked the 88-89 but he just got done putting a fresh engine in his so the built/new motor won me over. i know i will like it requardless since i am more for trail rideing and screwing around in the back forty more then racing so the benfits of the newer model really doesn't matter.

anyway i am happy as a lark with my new R!!

Honda 250r 001
03-29-2009, 05:14 PM
89 was the best year. 88's are second. all years can be updated to be about the same, such as tranny, crank, swinger, lights, etc etc. but theres nothin wrong with the 86, 87's at the right price.

05LSR250R
03-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by beags86
well i just picked up a 86 R this weekend from quad9 i would have liked the 88-89 but he just got done putting a fresh engine in his so the built/new motor won me over. i know i will like it requardless since i am more for trail rideing and screwing around in the back forty more then racing so the benfits of the newer model really doesn't matter.

Congratulations on your purchase! You wont be disappointed!

woodsracer144
03-31-2009, 05:58 PM
post up some pics of your new toy!

heelclickinonaR
03-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by beags86

Hey Beags.... Where at in IL do you live? I'm out in Roscoe, just north of Rockford. I usually ride at Rocky Glen and Byron. I usually get alot of guys gaping when I fire my bike up. There's nothing sweeter than a finely tuned two stroke. We'll have to meet up one day and torment some thumpers. LOL

beags86
03-31-2009, 08:17 PM
heelclickinonaR - i live in dakota.. and hell yeah i'll go riding with ya.

beags86
03-31-2009, 08:29 PM
my r

beags86
03-31-2009, 08:30 PM
another

beags86
03-31-2009, 08:31 PM
1 more

86 Quad R
04-01-2009, 06:51 AM
nice find. ya now have the foundation for many a year of adrinalin<sp pumped fun. hows the power? and where does it come in at?

my suggestion for it next would be to do something with the suspension, front shocks.

beags86
04-01-2009, 04:25 PM
thanks!

got 450r shocks... might be getting some revavled works soon as well..

as far as other mods go, i want to ditch the front bumper for a IMS Intimidator Bumper / Duncan Racing chrome front bumper / prm baja. something more for xc and trail riding.- not sure which one???

a full set of fenders, at least the backs
full frame skidplate and swinger plate
new tires and new rear rims
a headlight of some type-(removeable). i do alot of night riding and tail light, might do a r6 conversion
six pack rack for trails. no beer just fuel. lol
modded airbox
wider footpegs and nerfs
polished silencer to match the lrd pipe