PDA

View Full Version : wouldn't it be cool if .........

rigger
03-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if somebody started producing something like the 250R again. Or if Honda came back out with the R again.

I know everybody is going to say what about the emissions crap but high preasure direct injected two strokes burn just as clean as 4 strokes. So why not?

Saw on here where someone had mentioned something about people starting to build 250Rs again because of being sick of dumping so much money into the modern 4 strokes. Can't get a much cheaper rebuild than a 2 stroke.

And the power to weight ratio just seems better. Along with the fact that it takes a 450cc 4 stroke to compete with a 250cc 2 stroke. If you were to have a 250 class that ran only 250cc motors, 2 stroke and 4 stroke, the 2 stroke would win every time.

Maybe I am just a little old school but I like the old school stuff.

This was just some off the wall thinking and I thought I would write it down here. I know it would never happen but it would be cool to see the R come back. But if it did come back and everybody else got one, then what we have now would no longer be the cool ride to check out at the local ride spot because everybody would have one.

trx250rider
03-18-2009, 04:03 PM
check out the gas gas wild 300...its a new 2 stroke with a 300 cc powervalve engine...

jcs003
03-18-2009, 04:23 PM
www.servicehonda.com

Langbolt
03-18-2009, 04:34 PM
I totally agree......Lets see BRP take their technolgy from their 2-stroke Snowmobiles and apply it to their 2 stroke bike engines and put in their already proven DS450 chassis.....hmmmm

:devil:

Honda 250r 001
03-18-2009, 04:37 PM
i just dont get it. its like an opportuninty waiting. but no one wants to take it. they would sell. they would be fast. and they would ROCK. so why doesnt it happen? i have no explanation. im lookin in to buyin a gas gas 300. that would be sweet.

deathman53
03-18-2009, 05:00 PM
if ktm stuck the 250sx motor in there quad and added a counterbalancer, it would sell too. They could also make another a 300 version, that would sell to the gncc and open guys.

jon370r
03-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Langbolt
I totally agree......Lets see BRP take their technolgy from their 2-stroke Snowmobiles and apply it to their 2 stroke bike engines and put in their already proven DS450 chassis.....hmmmm

:devil:

Kind of like this engine.

rigger
03-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Yamaha makes HPDI outboards and they burn very clean. They already know how to do it. They could take a YZ250 motor, trun it into an HPDI system and put that in the atv frame. That would rock.

The only reason they are getting away from two stroke outboards is because almost everybody is buying 4-stroke motors for boats now.

Langbolt
03-18-2009, 09:28 PM
Jon370R.....Would you quit teasing us with that MOTOR!!!!

That would make everyone happy!!!!

What I meant was the E-TECH engines that BRP makes.....not just the RAVE valve.

I hear that the E-techs are so clean because the crank bearings are sealed with grease so the oil in the gas only needs to lubricate the rod bearings and the piston/cylinder.....which is how they get away with running them soooooo lean on OIL!

I really wonder if the 2-Strokes were all that bad....emissions wise.....at 20:1 like the Manufacturers recommend us to use..YES!..or the 32:1 with ultra clean burning synthetics ....maybe ????

All250R
03-18-2009, 11:14 PM
The profit margin is in selling parts - not the vehicle. From what I understand it's a bit like how ink printer ink cartridges cost half of what the printer is new. The printer is just the vehicle for selling ink. It's supposedly the same for motorcyles. They recover their costs with the initial sale but the profits come from recurring parts sales. With 4strokes there are a lot more parts sales. It's going to be tough to get them to give that up. People are literally sretching their last racing dollar these days to stay in the race. It reminds me of how people stretched to pay the $5/gal (california) gas prices we were. People will buy what business tells them to. It's sad to see, but marketing to the typically young demographic for motorcycles often just requires plenty of flashy ads and money in supercross events aired on tv.

No doubt they could build it, but the manufacturers have to want to before they'll convince you that you want to. So in teh meantime, it's worth it to read through this thread to see what can be done about keeping the ones we have going: http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=388153

250r morphidite
03-20-2009, 08:40 AM
i agree with all250r in the fact that i work in the industry and not one person other than the riders want to see a 2 stroke back in mix it cost most people aroung 1200 for complete rebuild on a four stroke when i can redo my whole engine cranck and all for what maybe 650 at most. the greedy japanese companies are draining our wallets what we need is a us based company with enough backing and deep enough pockets to contend with these guys and long live our 2 stroke heritage the new etec snowmobile motor is the ticket to go with i have rode it fast crisp and very clean burning and even less mantinance than our current two strokes i didnt want to give it back after only 2 hours of riding it just my two cents wow sorry about going off like that just frustrated with the industry right now LOL!!!!!

mcboomport
03-20-2009, 09:19 AM
man, I really disagree with the greedy japanese companies. They are the poor people that have to keep re-designing their bikes to meet a new American law that seems to go into effect every year against ATVs or dirtbikes. I think our country's helps in that added cost more than anything. Thats just my two cents.

jhtrx250r
03-20-2009, 11:26 PM
I have been talking to a certain big name engine builder who wants to start a project you may may like.

We are trying to build a pro to type and possibly mass produce a direct bolt up retro fit engine kit (kit would be all mounts pipe and any necessary brackets) to bolt up a trx 250r engine into a trx450r or yfz450 chaise (top and bottom end kits would be available using a CPI sphinx or puma cylinder)

How would that work for you?

thedeatons
03-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Interesting, but why not just buy an older aftermarket framed, already built R? Nice and light, already simple, and no mods required.... Just curious... Seems like trying to reinvent the wheel, ya know?