View Full Version : New to atv's. PLEASE HELP! Dont know what happend!!

Daniel B
03-17-2009, 08:06 PM
Ok my six year old son and I decided to trade an 80gb PS3 with a ton of games and extras for a 1998 YAMAHA TIMBERWOLF 2WD 250. We got it last Fri. night and it was working fine. A friend of mine and I road it Sat. sum when It wasn't raining and it was working fine. Sun. morning I get up with my son to ride it with him for the first time and it pull starts just fine. I failed to give it gas though in time and it died. I have not been able to get it started since then. The start button does not work on it. I think its the relay switch. The pull start will not work though it sounds like it wants to start but it dont. I have changed the oil and the oil filter, filled it with gas, changed the spark plug and got a new battery and it still wont start. And it some times is real hard to pull and gets stuck. I hope we didnt trade all that we did for a piece of junk :( !! Some one please help!!!! What could it be? Am I over looking some thing?

charlie211
03-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Try a little starting fluid, aka Ether. Give it a spritz in the air intake and see what happens... You can find it at Auto Zone and the likes. I use it for a stubborn lawnmower.

Pappy
03-18-2009, 12:52 PM
I would also suggest dropping the float bowl and seeing if any debris is in there. If the atv has not been run for awhile, your running it and topping it of with fuel could have caused the junk usually found in the fuel tank of an older atv to find its way into a jet where it can clog it.

AbnMP13
03-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Remove the plug, place the plug back in the boot, hold it about 1/4 inch from something metal while someone else pulls the pull cord to see if it sparks.