PDA

View Full Version : 2006 predator overall impressions

whc
03-17-2009, 06:31 PM
have a chance to pick up an 06 500 predator in mint condition, ha s a dg exhaust other wise is stock, do not know much about the polaris ktm machines other then the air box is a maintence issue, rode this quad briefly last year seemed quite powerful, the steering was very responsive, maybe too quick, suspension was set up very stiff(for me) so am not sure how it would work if properly adjusted. so what are the maintence issues, are they reliable, is the stock suspension hare scrambles worthy. how does this machine compare to other race quads, I race hare scrambles is the 40+ b class would this make a good race quad for a senior riders??? thank for any help Mild Bill

sleddog66
03-18-2009, 06:18 AM
The predator has a "Fugi" engine, not a "KTM". The fugi is more of a "rever" engine and make more power at higher RPM's. The KTM in a "stump puller" and has it's power band in the low and mid range. My only other comparison was with a 300 ex, so no comparison. Others will chime in.

Flynbryan19
03-18-2009, 06:55 AM
The motor is pretty solid. Its everything else around it that will let ya down. The predator has ALOT of play in all its bushings/bearings right from the time you roll it off the floor. Polaris just really dropped the ball with QC on this machine. I had alot of issues with premature wear in these items. The front brakes are also known for not releasing completely and wearing pads out fast. The airbox is poorly designed and will let dust into the intake if its not sealed off at all the connections with silicone. It is also wide at 47.5" and very heavy for a sport quad.

As for the suspension, it depends on what model you have. If it has the Fox podium shocks with the resevior front shocks they are good and can actually be tuned to be fairly plush. The rear shock is another good shock that can be tuned pretty well. If you got the model with the cheesy preload only adjustable/non-rebuildable shocks they are junk and are just throw away models. I personally spent 2yrs on an 03' and it was an "ok" quad, but there are certainly better options out there. Unless your just getting some rediculously good deal on it I'd let it pass. Predators have terrible resale value and just not a good reputation as a racer.

Bradracer18
03-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Wow Bryan...way to spill it out!

The pred is a good machine, and good for woods racing because it is tough to tear up! It can be a bit heavy...but can be lightened if you look for places to lighten it!

The engine(fugi) is solid if you stay out of it! Keep the oil changed often, and if you experience shifting issues or quick oil break down....switch to Bel-Ray 20-50Thumper oil.

Air system sucks! I suggest a twin air clamp on!

Front brakes can drag as said...but not a big worry! Keep an eye on wheel bearings, ball joints, and axle bearings!

If you have rezzies on your shocks....you can tune them pretty well

Flynbryan19
03-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Bradracer18
Wow Bryan...way to spill it out!

lol, I just call it like I see it. I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from my Predator and saw many of the same problems in all model year predators. The 09' Outlaws seem to really be a big step in the right direction, but I still don't think I could ever own another Polaris.

birdman7389
03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
I own and rode, and now the wife rides a '06 Predator TLD. I have absolutely no complaints with it. It is a very comfortable machine with the Fox podium's adjusted. It does have plenty of power, and I have not had any of the issus that the other dude had. I just now am noticing one tie rod end being loose, big whoop.

It has been reliable, and plenty of fun. Depending on the price, it may be a score......

whc
03-22-2009, 06:07 PM
guys i may have goofed on the model, this macjine has indepented rear suspension and the dealer said it was a ktm 500 engine it has rezzie shocks. i watched a dude this weekend at the steele creek gncc race one, it seemed to be be pretty smooth and fairly powerful, but I could not find him in the pits, 300 quads in the am race. the dealer wants 4500 for the quad but it looks brand new and I know the guy who owed it hardly ever rode ,and when he did not hard. thanks mild Bill

birdman7389
03-22-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by whc
guys i may have goofed on the model, this macjine has indepented rear suspension and the dealer said it was a ktm 500 engine it has rezzie shocks. i watched a dude this weekend at the steele creek gncc race one, it seemed to be be pretty smooth and fairly powerful, but I could not find him in the pits, 300 quads in the am race. the dealer wants 4500 for the quad but it looks brand new and I know the guy who owed it hardly ever rode ,and when he did not hard. thanks mild Bill
Well, the IRS makes it an outlaw, but the 500 is actually made by Fuji not KTM. It would be the same engine as the Predator , in that case.

Outlaw6;=-
03-23-2009, 10:16 AM
For 4500 i would think, if it is a used machine it would be the outlaw 525 ktm machine. Find more info on the exact machine ur looking at.

FiveTwentyFive
03-24-2009, 05:45 AM
I suspect also what he is looking at is the 525. If it is in new condition, buy it. You won't be sorry.