PDA

View Full Version : stroken a 440 big bore

peacefrog
03-17-2009, 03:24 PM
I put in a 440 big bore with a stage 2 hot cam on my 400 ex an, Now my botton end is going out. I was wondering if any of you fellas have storked a 440 ex engine?? Was curious on some Ideas on what to do to bottom end?? Looking for some sugguestions?? Thanks fellas

drew416ex
03-17-2009, 03:52 PM
That would make it a 460 with a +4 crank. If you get a hotrods crank, you will have to get a new piston made for a stroker crank. If you get the stock crank rebuilt and stroked by powroll you can use the same piston that you have. Also, if you do a stroker you will need at least a stage 3 hotcam or it will fall on its face in the upper rpm range.

crxjarred
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM
is this very good for trail riden?

drew416ex
03-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by crxjarred
is this very good for trail riden?

Personally I wouldnt want it for trail riding due to the added heat. You also wouldnt beable to use the power it put out so there isnt much point going that big for a trail machine.

Sanddraging28
03-17-2009, 09:00 PM
i have to disagree with "drew416ex". i have had a couple of strokers that i have trail rode the crap out of...never had a problem. you just need to adapt your riding style. I take my 500ex stroker trail riding on occasion, and besides the +10 swingarm, i love having that much power on tap. heat really isn't a big issue, if it is jetted right i have never had a heat issue with any over-bored or stroked 400ex, even my 500ex doesn't have a heat issue. i do agree with the stage 3 cam, its a must have. without it that thing will trip over its own feet on the top end. i would stay away from the hotrods crank and piston. i have not had real good luck with the few i have built in my shop. plus the compression is kinda low for me....

drew416ex
03-18-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Sanddraging28
i have to disagree with "drew416ex". i have had a couple of strokers that i have trail rode the crap out of...never had a problem. you just need to adapt your riding style. I take my 500ex stroker trail riding on occasion, and besides the +10 swingarm, i love having that much power on tap. heat really isn't a big issue, if it is jetted right i have never had a heat issue with any over-bored or stroked 400ex, even my 500ex doesn't have a heat issue. i do agree with the stage 3 cam, its a must have. without it that thing will trip over its own feet on the top end. i would stay away from the hotrods crank and piston. i have not had real good luck with the few i have built in my shop. plus the compression is kinda low for me....

I guess I say that because most people around here that trail ride mean mud ride so there isnt enough air to cool the engine. But like sanddraging28 said, if you adjust your riding style and have it jetted right, you shouldnt have a problem with heat.