PDA

View Full Version : 99 Explorer 400 problems

redonkulousruntsracing
03-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I have a couple issues with my 99 Explorer 400 2- stroke.

1. The electric starter doesn't work any more. Used to be that if you tried it cold, it would just click, you would have to pull start it. Then after the quad warmed up the electric start would work fine all day long. It's isn't a weak battery. Now the starter doesn't engage at all. I have been told the brushes need to be replaced. Not to sound dumb, but where the heck is the starter? It must really be buried in there cuz I cant see it. Any one have a pic of where it is?

2. I have a 3 wheel drive quad. The front left wheel does not engage, forward or reverse. I had it in the snow yesterday and looked and the axle is turning but the hub isn't engaging. I took the hub apart expecting to find something broken, but every thing looked fine. Put it back together and still 3 wheel drive. The other front wheel engages and disengages beautifully, I dont get it.

rundrave
03-17-2009, 08:54 PM
change the fluid in your front hubs

if that doesnt work take the hub apart and in between the bearings there is an armature plate that when it becomes worn it causes the 4wheel drive not to engage correctly

also when putting the hub back together make sure you torque the castle nut down to the correct specs to also ensure your 4wheel drive will work

if that doesnt work check the wiring running to the hubs

redonkulousruntsracing
03-18-2009, 06:23 AM
I did change the fluid, I filled it half full with Polaris "front hub fluid". I didn't see any armature between the bearings, or maybe I dont know what I am looking for. I have worked on many 4wd truck front hubs, so I was expecting something similar. I didn't see anything electrical in there. Also do you know the torque spec?? I used 2 clicks of the elbow and called it good.

I got the stater out and figured out what was wrong with it. Full of water, everything rusted and corroded, water froze and shattered all the magnets. I guess brushes wont fix this one !! I hope the new one I am putting in stays dry inside.

rundrave
03-18-2009, 08:06 AM
here is a good link with lots of pics to explain how it all works:

Linky for hubs (http://www.atvtime.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=116127&sid=00a5f6b5487aa0f67fc0c7a30cead999,)

also for the torque sequence take it to 165 in/lbs then back it off then take it to 124 in/lbs. if it is too loose or too tight it may not lock up right

The proper way to check hub fluid level is to fill it up, then with the fill plug out, rotate the hole to either the 4 or 8 o'clock position, and then let it drain out, then reinstall the plug