PDA

View Full Version : 06 450r question

azazel
03-17-2009, 01:39 PM
I just picked up an 06 450r and it seems to have a hard time starting? it is electric start, and takes for ever to get going and keeps falling on its face until it warms up. Its all stock, and I was woundering if this was a normal problem with these or if I just need to do some work adjusting the valves and what not..

Thanks

tpro450r
03-19-2009, 11:42 AM
I got a 06 450r too, it is a very cold blooded bike. just remember, pump it twice before you start it and then never give it any gas while you are hitting the e-start button or it will trash your one way starter clutch

quad2xtreme
03-20-2009, 04:39 PM
I pump mine about 6-8 times before starting (when cold). Sometimes it runs for 2-4 seconds and quits. If so, I will pump it 3 times and it will usually stay running the 2nd time. Like tpro450r said, never give it gas while starting. There is a safety switch there that will stop it from starting and it will trash your one-way bearing.

Make sure your air filter isn't clogged or over oiled.

Check the valves and the decompression clearance.

If none of this works, I would clean the carb and jets with some carb cleaner spray. You will need to remove the carb to do this.

I recommend an HRC kit. It will help quite a bit when it comes to starting.

Definitely buy a manual if you don't have one.