PDA

View Full Version : need to know some stuff about a banshee

Butters
12-27-2002, 08:15 PM
ok awhile back i posted about getting a banshee then i changed my mind to a 400ex. well i kinda forgot about it, but i was thinking about it again and i figured if i was going to upgrade why not go better than a 400ex. don't get me wrong i like the 400ex just i have my 300 and don't plan on selling it cause i like it for trails and mudding. so i thought go with the shee get speed, and keep the 300 for a mess around. so this is where the question part comes in................................................ ...........................
what is the worst thing about a banshee??

worm
12-27-2002, 08:38 PM
worst thing about a banshee...i guess since you come off a honda it would probably be handling...i think it handles great still but honda riders always complain ..ive grown up on yamahas and dont like the way the 400 feels... every hting else about the shee is great IMO

Butters
12-27-2002, 08:42 PM
ok then what are some good mods to do to a banshee??

should you take the oil injector off or leave it on?? on know some people take it off.

worm
12-27-2002, 08:46 PM
lol....a banshee doesnt have an oil injector...you mix gas/oil in a can then pour it in the tank..lol
a blaster has an oil injecter... any way, good mods..first i would get rid of the air filter set up they have and get a pro-design set up, then........i dont know mines stock.

12-27-2002, 09:09 PM
well to me i wouldent get one unless i was going in a straightline like a drag. but the handeling is crapy . i would get af nerf bars and than wheel spacers for back. if ya keep them tight they wont bent i have raced on mine for 2 yrs and have never bent an axel or cracked one 2oo cheeper than a axel anyways., 6than i would get a arms. than go for engine upgrades. it diesnt need that much more power but it dies need a diff powerband so get like carbs or sommin that would get rid of the wacky powerband.

worm
12-27-2002, 09:30 PM
i think the quad handles great i dont get where ppl complain...im getting a dynoprt 2 into 1 pipe to smooth out the pwer band for XC RIDING..

Butters
12-27-2002, 10:01 PM
yeah ha don't know what i was thinking about the oil injector.....probably when i was going to get a blaster or something but oh well. oh what is something to improve the handling since some people think its not good?

12-27-2002, 11:27 PM
Well, only thing ima say it put a set of pipes and rejet it, you should be pretty damn happy, i know mine brings a ear to ear smile when i ride it

Butters
12-28-2002, 04:50 PM
what about stock tires?? are they any good?

12-28-2002, 05:30 PM
to me it just feels soo boxy. but what do i know i ride a 400ex haha. i would say insted of spending 400-500$ on pipes spend it on a axel or a arms or sommin. i mean the stock engine post out enough power but u need to smooth it out. once u gett better than u upgrade power. but asi said i dont know much about them my best froend has one. he never stops talking about it and it gets anoying so it MUST be a good quad.

bansheeguy77
12-29-2002, 06:50 PM
the worst thing is gas mialage....thats it...other than that everything is great...handling is fine unless your a lil panzy who needs it to feel like ur turning air :blah and mods do some bandit rears and t5's, nerfs and cut the fenders.....then as u get money do more like filters and whatnot....u can never have to much on it

12-29-2002, 10:58 PM
so u sayen if u dont liek the way the shee handels u are a panzy. well i dont liek the way it handels and i aint a panzy. i would be willen to put my ex up agnist ur shee on any condition (sept drags) u know xc mx freestyle dont want to make this sound liek a flame but i know allot of peopel who dont liek the banshees handeling and they are far from panzes.

bansheeguy77
12-30-2002, 08:28 AM
haha so your challenging me to only the things where you think your quad would win basically?? and a shee handles like a quad im saying....the 400 is overly easy. start out and grow up on a shee, their handling is fine. if u come up on hondas then the shee might be off. but its not that big of a deal to ***** about it. and with a person who knows how to ride the shee....it will beat the **** out of a 400

worm
12-30-2002, 09:25 AM
i can air it it out on a MX and fly throuh a XC track ,. ..i dount think youre anyone special and id challenge your quad....even though it do matter what i say because well probably never race..i know lost of ppl who dont like the 400ex too because of lack of power

12-30-2002, 04:46 PM
that would explane why just about none of the pros use a shee......thats right they must be GREAT on the mx track. ill buy one now. and yes ii did forget hillclimbs a shee owns and drags but thats it.

12-30-2002, 04:50 PM
o a lac of power...yes the 400 does lack power but u can make a 400ex good at just about anything. when i bought a 400 i didnt plan on leaving it stock, once it is upgraded there is plety of power. And on a mx trace power isnt everything if u can take a corner a second faster than everybody than u dont need as much power. It all comes down to 2 things(in my opinion) 1 rider abilty 2 how well u know ur machine. but that doesn't mean that some quads werent made to be better for certain areas.

bluebaron
12-30-2002, 06:30 PM
i would say handling, gas it uses a lot

bansheeguy77
12-30-2002, 06:51 PM
haha u sound like a stupid little kid sorry....how many pro's use 400s?? hmmm none aint that a considence? sure 4 stroke there are, but theres shees in open to. but now with the right rider on the shee it can eat a 400, trust me ive seen it done. also your right power is not everything in mx but dam it sure helps i know this 1st hand. i had a modded 400....well there was a shee jumping this 70ft stepup easy i do it, first few times just making it then boom wreck...thats a shame cause i was beatin the piss outa that 400 it just wouldnt go....u need alot of money for them. a shee is a great mx bike, ppl may flame me for it...but now this is from experience....if you can ride, it wil do anything u want just as good as any bike and u will have the most fun doing it.

12-30-2002, 07:44 PM
wtf u think i am flaming you for.i am just saying the 400ex is a better all around machine. it is that hard to understand? open ur eyes i am not talking about small time fuccing around on a locla track, i am talking about pro-fess-ion-als read it out loud if u have to. Do u know how many pros use a 250r frams about 50% i would say.....and the 250r frame is just about the same as a 400 except with different engine spacing and mounting.Now lest see how many pro-fess-ion-als use banshee frames.....maybe 1 or 2% if that. so i wonder which is better for a mx track thats right a 250r frame(bacicly a 400ex frame) remember the 400ex frame was built with the same bacic egornomics(sp) as the r. and if banshees are so good at freestyle why does dana cheech use a 300r to do freestyle or lets take jon of this site why doesn't he ise a banshee for freestyle? BECAUSE 400EX'S ARE BETTER FOR IT. now if u are talking about hitting huge jumps than u should get a r. the only thing shees exceedingly good at is hillclimbs and/or baha. thats it. they may be good at other things but not as good a a 400ex or a 250r.

trx400ex
12-30-2002, 08:00 PM
Man hondaquadman take it from someone who has both quads. The banshee is faster in every aspect except you get wore out faster. The more experienced you are the more the banshee will help you. An unexperienced rider will find it MUCH easier to go on a 400ex quad. Also NO Pro riders race a 400ex and they cant race a banshee if they wanted to, there is a 250CC TWO STROKE LIMIT.
Also banshees are handsdown the most fun. There is no other stock quad that you can pin it from a standstill and smoke the tires on pavement without brakes. It feels like a little rocket and you feel like your going so much faster than you really are. Those 2 little pistons putting out all of that power man it brings a smile to my face.:D

trx400ex
12-30-2002, 08:02 PM
Also Jon started out on a banshee and look where he is now,hmm, i dont think he would slam it with you. And the 250r frame feels so much diffrent than a 400ex have you ever ridden one? The pros use what there sponsers want. Ametuers use what they feel is the best, and alot of them just happen to run 400exs because it is a good mx quad, alot easier to control than the banshee.

bansheeguy77
12-30-2002, 08:04 PM
thank you very much trx400ex...i also can speak from experience owning both. and you took the words out of my mouth. and yeah jon started on a shee remember those pics of him doing i think can cans??? hmmm that sucks u spoke before u knew the facts :blah

12-30-2002, 08:22 PM
yea i agree that a unexprianced rider will feel more at home on a 400ex because it corners easier. but whan u are racing dont u want somthing that is easy to ride.Or would u rather have somthing that drains energy as trx said.I think anybody who is a good mx racer will tell you that the more u can save ur energy and keep ur endurance up is better. ahhh and yes banshee guy i do remember those pics. that was a while ago those can cans were sweet! and do u remember when won the sickest trick and was the runner up at the hbomb event????? he did that on a 416ex not a shee. why u think he got a ex insted of a shee i may be wrong but it was probly becaus the ex is easier and better for freestyle.heh "hmmm that sucks u spoke before u knew the facts " yea whatever u have to tell yourself he is on a ex now not a heavy unstable shee.

bansheeguy77
12-30-2002, 08:27 PM
i know the 400 is easier on you for long term....believe me i raced both....id still take a shee though. and why dont you ask jon how he liked his shee if u think u know him so well...

12-30-2002, 08:32 PM
i hardly know the guy,but i know facts speek for themselves and i have seen his pictures of what he can do. and i put 2 and 2 together he is good he had a shee, he upgraded to a ex, as i said before i may be wrong but i THINK he probably got a ex because they are better for freestyle. and u know what it is all personal preferance. u would rather have a shee i would rather have a ex. thats what it all comes down to .

trx400ex
12-30-2002, 09:24 PM
I just saw where jon posted a pic of his shee and said he wished he still had it. He has posted his story of the quads hes owned on here before and i dont think he got the ex because of those reasons but he will have to answer that, later guys

12-30-2002, 09:28 PM
see u were right banshee guy. i was wrong. but i won wondering could u give me the link to that post.i want to see it. and i also want to ask him abotu it.

bansheeguy77
12-31-2002, 08:10 AM
booya :cool:
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39009

Pro400EXC
12-31-2002, 09:43 AM
Pro do to race 400ex's...Look at Duvall and Greg Trew,and Bryan Baker....they run GNCC but still there Pro's hehe

Bean
12-31-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by hondaquadman
so u sayen if u dont liek the way the shee handels u are a panzy. well i dont liek the way it handels and i aint a panzy. i would be willen to put my ex up agnist ur shee on any condition (sept drags) u know xc mx freestyle dont want to make this sound liek a flame but i know allot of peopel who dont liek the banshees handeling and they are far from panzes.

da daaaaa ddaaa tardded daaaaa hookedddd onn fonnics iiss ffforr yya ya yooo you

Bean
12-31-2002, 10:39 AM
a banshee would take less money to win on a MX track if you think about it, all it needs is a-arms, shocks, axel, brakelines, and thats about it, it makes enough power, a 400 needs all that, plus motor mods, which can get expensive

Butters
12-31-2002, 09:41 PM
well well well.....that was funny. i was looking to see what info you guys posted to help me and here is this argument. ha that was great. well i don't personally see how a shee could handle that bad but i have no clue.

trx400ex
12-31-2002, 10:25 PM
bean thats what i thought too, but if your getting into racing, stock banshee power isnt what you want, you still need to spend money on smooting it out and adding some low end

o btw, my banshee blew up on me the other day and now i get to get new pistons head, and a crank. Lucky me.

CBW
12-31-2002, 10:27 PM
my friend and i set this one up for MX......and there wasnt much that could touch it,,,,,,,cept for the LRD 350PV a guy brought from denver LOL...........anyhow it could use a freshening up on the shocks.........but other than that it hauls......we trimmed the front plastic and it looks cleaner now.......but it is about a 404cc with twister welded and trued crank, 34mmpj carbs, upp intake boots, 60over cylinders, vitos 7* advance key, vitos cool head, ..some other stuff..............and man does it drink the gas.............

Quadracer5
01-01-2003, 07:38 PM
It all depends on what you like and feel comfortable on. There are way more banshee's out there than 400EX's. Does that make them better? Not really. I've owned 3 banshees, I ride a 400EX now. I didn't get rid of my last banshee to get my 400, I sold it due to other reasons a year earlier. I like both of them myself. The banshee is lighter, faster, bigger.

I like my 400EX, I liked my Banshee, point is if its yours and you like it then have fun and ride. Thats all that matters. This Banshee vs. 400EX thing is so old and getting dumber by the minute. My 2 cents.

Kyle

Butters
01-01-2003, 07:40 PM
i'm not comparing a 400ex to a shee i straight up know that i want to go with a shee if i can afford one. the questions that i was asking was just stuff about the shee to improve and stuff.

Quadracer5
01-01-2003, 07:53 PM
It all depends on what you like and feel comfortable on. There are way more banshee's out there than 400EX's. Does that make them better? Not really. I've owned 3 banshees, I ride a 400EX now. I didn't get rid of my last banshee to get my 400, I sold it due to other reasons a year earlier. I like both of them myself. The banshee is lighter, faster, bigger.

I like my 400EX, I liked my Banshee, point is if its yours and you like it then have fun and ride. Thats all that matters. This Banshee vs. 400EX thing is so old and getting dumber by the minute. My 2 cents.

Kyle

Edit: As far as improving the banshee, a set of good rear tires, pipes, jets for the carbs, and a pro-flow air filter setup and you have a great quad.

Butters
01-01-2003, 07:55 PM
yeah i figured the pipe and filter but that was one of my questions about the tires. thanks

Quadracer5
01-02-2003, 04:11 PM
The stock banshee tires really suck, unless you ride in the dunes. All they do is spin on anything else. I recommend razr's, holeshots, shredders, turf tamers.... I like razr's myself, in the 20x11x9 size.

Kyle

Poncho
01-02-2003, 05:30 PM
If this helps you any I have a banshee and I don't regret picking it over a 400ex. :blah

Things that help it: First get you a UMI pro flow and a K&N, some good tires (turf tamers or razrs), then get some pipes (Toomeys are great), and if ya can afford some good front shocks. Then ya will have a fast quad that alos handles good. :D

Spencer

Butters
01-03-2003, 12:00 PM
ok thanks for the help. anybody want to give me a shee now? :D