PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cover recall

PLCracing
03-17-2009, 08:12 AM
I've got an '05 z-400, mag clutch cover went bad, trashed motor. Dealer estimated $2100 to fix, Think he's trying to screw me! Told him I'd fix it myself, but now he wont sell me the updated aluminum clutch cover, says it has to be installed by a dealer. The cyl. bore looks good, piston looks good,besides where they jammed it back into cylinder:mad: . The head's warped alittle, nothing that can't be "flat blocked" or milled. Anyhow, I know I can fix the motor, probably upgrade after reading some of these posts:cool: , but I still need the aluminum cover. I've looked on ebay, will the cover from an '03 or '04 work on my '05? The only difference I can tell from pics is the location of a bolt on the outside, some sort of pressure relief type thing, has a check ball inside passage? Any help would be appreciated, I want to get the ball rolling, but don't have a service manual yet and not sure about the cover. Thanks

250Renvy
03-17-2009, 03:28 PM
You'd be better off buying a used motor off of the net for $1000 or under and parting out your motor to recoup some funds.

I could really use a motor like yours that is pretty much dissassembled to use for mock up purposes.

I need a shell that includes bottom cases with the sprocket in tact - nothing else necessary except the cylinder parts that has the headstay mount on it.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but if you let me borrow it, I could get it rebuilt for $300-$400. It would take about a month or so.

If not, try calling up Hondaeasttoledo and ordering it.

airmobile101
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Heres my 2 cents. Just get yourself a new cover regardless if its magnesium or not. Then run the coolant thats Magnesium safe(MOTUL). You sound like you some what have the knowledge,so give it a shot. Its still is alot cheaper than buying something off Ebay and not knowing whay you get. A service manual is a must!
The dealer is trying to screw you. Why would it cost that amount ??? Then the dealer wont let you buy the part??? wtf??? Is it a warranty part??? If so, tell them to fit everything and send the bill to Suzuki.:devil:

PLCracing
03-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Thanks for your replys. Sorry 250Renvy, I'm ready to get my rebuild going, otherwise I may have loaned it to you. The dealer did screw me, said they couldn't install the part because the bike had to be ran after installed. And due to all the calls I made to suzuki about the denied warranty, my quad was well documented in thier system as not runable. Total crap, they won't even sell the new one to me. Think I'll either repair my old one with a bushing or get another '05 cover and run the MOTUL (thanks airmobile101). Anyhow....now that she's apart I want to hop it up a bit (even though the original piston/cylinder would still work). I've purchased an Alba pipe, and a jet kit already. Bidding on a 400ex airbox boot. Now looking at big bore kits. Pretty much decided on a 434cc kit but got stumped by some of the differences. Which is better to use; a steel bore cylinder, a nickel carbide coated one, or a nickel silicone one? I know they called the original a "Nikasil"? Also the piston itself; there was a forged one, or a teflon coated one, etc. Any tips would be appreciated, I don't mind the rebuild, but don't want to have to do it too often

airmobile101
03-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Well, they say the the Athena 434 is the way to go. But, I just have the Wiseco piston with the sleeve. Im just waiting on my cylinder to be honed and spec'ed and then Im gonna install it. Word of advice, don't use the Wiseco gaskets. I personally know 2 people that had issues with them. Get the Cosmetics gaskets.

ifixtheyride
03-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Ok I'm stupid what exactly broke on the clutch cover that damaged the entire motor? I wasn't aware of the 2 different covers but after reading your thread I looked at magnesium vs aluminum to find problems. I see from airmobil that he suggests a mag safe coolant so I assume the cover corroded and the water pump got damaged therefore destroying the motor? How do I know what cover I have 03 KFX400. I just changed my cam chain not long ago and had cover off and mine looks ok. I can't believe they wont sell you a cover but it online somewhere.

PLCracing
03-19-2009, 07:10 AM
The clutch cover corroded to the point it developed a pinhole near the water pump which allowed coolant into the engine oil, thus overheating the engine. I've checked it out some more, my bottom end will be OK so I just need to address the top end issues and come up with a clutch cover that's not all corroded. Your '03 should be OK, they didn't switch to magnesium untill the '05 model (just my luck).
Thanks for the tip on the wiseco gaskets airmobile101. I'll use cometic.

airmobile101
03-19-2009, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by ifixtheyride
Ok I'm stupid what exactly broke on the clutch cover that damaged the entire motor? I wasn't aware of the 2 different covers but after reading your thread I looked at magnesium vs aluminum to find problems. I see from airmobil that he suggests a mag safe coolant so I assume the cover corroded and the water pump got damaged therefore destroying the motor? How do I know what cover I have 03 KFX400. I just changed my cam chain not long ago and had cover off and mine looks ok. I can't believe they wont sell you a cover but it online somewhere.
Heres the deal. When I replaced my stock clutch awhile back, I noticed the passageway at the waterpump was filled with crystalized crap. It was pretty bad and the bike wasn't even a year old,so you have to watch out for that crap also. Now, since then, I have checked that pump twice, with no issues. I honestly think you can avoid a headache if you use magnesium safe coolant.

ifixtheyride
03-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Thats a shame a pin hole can take out the motor did your thermal switches not work? You have 2 switches one for the fan and one for the idiot light I can now remember some mid nineties cars that would develop head gasket problems or intake gasket problems when people changed coolant I wonder if same thing is going on auto manufactures were looking for cheaper ways to make vehicles and magnesium is lighter and cheaper but if you changed coolant it caused problems.

PLCracing
03-20-2009, 07:55 AM
That was another reason I think the dealer is crooked. They told me the thermostat go so hot it melted, really looked to me like they took a screwdriver to it and bent the shaft inside it. The "dummy" light never came on at all. I was using some John Deere premixed coolant, expensive stuff, figured if it was OK for a $45,000 tractor, it would be OK for my quad. I still don't think it was "that" hot, checked the head last night and it was .004" out of flat. And they wanted to charge me over $600 for a new head! I've been a Suzuki fan as long as I can remember, but Suzuki Corp. sucks when it comes to honoring thier warranties and helping out the customer.
OK, now I've got most of my new parts on the way, 434cc kit, new clutch cover, 400ex boot, pipe and jet kit. Is it worth the $200+ more to install a set of hot cams?

airmobile101
03-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Oh yea, you'll enjoy the cams!

RTJ
03-22-2009, 12:03 AM
airmobile101
i sent pm

airmobile101
03-22-2009, 01:43 AM
Heres a link to the coolant. Its getting hard to find. Rockymountain used to sell this,but not no more.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2787

joetracc
03-22-2009, 10:36 AM
I just got my 05' back from the dealer. They did the full recall. They were very nice and had it done ASAP. They told me that Suzuki says it’s a 3-hour job. However, the dealer said it was more like an 8-hour job. They said they tore out the bottom end of the quad, cleaned and inspected all the parts and put it back together. Quad runs 100% better and feels tighter. Dealer gave me zero problems.

Very happy !

PLCracing
03-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Sounds like you've got a better dealer than I had, good for you.