PDA

View Full Version : yfz450 with yz cam? need help

hatchconversion
03-16-2009, 09:46 PM
So im going to be buying a yfz450 and it runs great and etc. But he says it has a yz cam in it? Is this a common mod and can someone tell me what they know about it and/or the pros and cons.

thanks

oemparts
03-17-2009, 10:12 AM
when doing the cam mod it is the same as the yz cam. with him installing the yz cam in the yfz means you do not retard the exhaust cam one tooth. you align the dots on the cams with the top of the head. i love the cam mod on my yfz , power is awesome with this simple and free mod.

hatchconversion
03-17-2009, 12:22 PM
so you are sure that its the same as the cam mod? I just thougth the yz cam had a bit more aggresive duration/lobe. but i could be wrong. but i would love to see a vid of the yz cam or cam mod vs a stock yfz. someone got a vid? aahhaha

thanks oemparts

oemparts
03-18-2009, 11:38 AM
go to yfzcentral , all the info you need is there. my username on there is scrimmy

greenblood01
03-18-2009, 01:25 PM
I thought the YZF cams were different? I was at a race once and a kid supposedly had YZF cams and his electric starter wouldn't start the quad, he had to be pull started every time.

oemparts
03-19-2009, 10:46 AM
there must have been something wrong with the decompression pin or spring on the cam. when you do the cam mod it is the same as a yzf cam

Fast350ex
03-20-2009, 06:10 AM
All the cam mod does is retard the exhaust cam which allows a longer duration of valve overlap, which increases volumetric efficiency by scavenging the cylinder.

Valve overlap is when int. & exh. valves are open simultaneously, at the end of exhaust stroke and beginning of intake stroke.

More noticeable at higher RPM.