PDA

View Full Version : Discontinued parts you want.

250Renvy
03-16-2009, 09:34 PM
This project has failed in the past because most people are too cheap to actually pony up some money for stuff they want so I've just got stuff for myself. I'd like to hear some ideas for parts that would be possible to get made again. In a recession, people are motivated to make stuff if the orders are there.

I am going to petition IMS/Roll to make heelguards and footpegs for 88/89 again. I figure I'd have to order at least 10 sets at least, but if there is no interest I'll just get my pegs converted to 450R.

I am also going to throw the idea past Bill at Quad tech about making some custom hoods - either 88/89 style in plastic or QT scoop hoods in plastic.

No guarantees that anybody will make this stuff, but I've found out recently that money talks so lets put out money together to make it louder.

What else?

k265r
03-16-2009, 10:35 PM
i would take a hood and gas tank if they were oem quality and color. 88 red

voodoochassis
03-16-2009, 10:40 PM
im in on a hood..plastic is fine with me
Originally posted by 250Renvy
This project has failed in the past because most people are too cheap to actually pony up some money for stuff they want so I've just got stuff for myself. I'd like to hear some ideas for parts that would be possible to get made again. In a recession, people are motivated to make stuff if the orders are there.

I am going to petition IMS/Roll to make heelguards and footpegs for 88/89 again. I figure I'd have to order at least 10 sets at least, but if there is no interest I'll just get my pegs converted to 450R.

I am also going to throw the idea past Bill at Quad tech about making some custom hoods - either 88/89 style in plastic or QT scoop hoods in plastic.

No guarantees that anybody will make this stuff, but I've found out recently that money talks so lets put out money together to make it louder.

What else?

All250R
03-17-2009, 01:58 AM
I've got a friend who wants the 88/89 Roll kickups. They don't make those anymore?

01shee
03-17-2009, 03:53 AM
I"m looking for pegs and heel guards. Just watched a let go for 290 on ebay.

Fear250r
03-17-2009, 05:11 AM
I'd be interested in some heelguards!

05LSR250R
03-17-2009, 06:16 AM
I'd be interested in OEM style smoothy hoods!
The kind where you cant see the bolts on the top!
In all colors.

derby
03-17-2009, 07:17 AM
I think someone bought the QT mold for the hoods from Bill a few years ago.

All250R
03-17-2009, 10:13 AM
I talked to Rob (I think it was) at Roll and he said they've been getting a lot of calls lately on some parts for the R - the pegs is what I was asking about specifically. He thought enough people are going back to the R being sick of the money put into the 4strokes.

He said Doug is receptive to making pegs again for the TRX - no plans for their frames though. It takes about a month to get them ready to buy, but it sounds like there are plans in the works to re-release them. I've got at least one guy right now wanting a pair - and I'd probably pick up another set for myself. They're in the next town over from me too, so I can do a little in person investigating if anyone thinks it would be useful.

Aceman
03-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Maybe you could ask Roll how many sets of pegs they'd need to sell to justify making another batch of 'em. They seem to sell for a pretty hefty price on Ebay, seems like somebody is always looking for a set on here too. I'd say that's enough of a sign that people would buy 'em, if Roll would make 'em.

jas250r
03-17-2009, 03:50 PM
i'd be interested in the 88/89 heel guards to go with my pegs. if the hoods were a reasonable price, one that would go with some full bore's in the future

Honda 250r 001
03-17-2009, 05:43 PM
i would defeneatly be interested in the pegs and heel guards.

trx250rider
03-17-2009, 06:14 PM
just curious but i always hear about 88/89..what about us with the 86/87 style...it rare to find theses parts for the 88/89 but even more so for us..im sure there lots of us with the older frame that would jump on these if availible.

All250R
03-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Maybe you could ask Roll how many sets of pegs they'd need to sell to justify making another batch of 'em. They seem to sell for a pretty hefty price on Ebay, seems like somebody is always looking for a set on here too. I'd say that's enough of a sign that people would buy 'em, if Roll would make 'em.

If you're talking to me, I kinda did. The impression I got was they had the idea already that they were going to make them again.

I think if you guys really want parts, teh best thing to do is call and keep them focused on the project. Rob said they used to get 1-2 calls a month about 250R pegs, but lately it's been 2-3 a day. If that's true, keep up the work. That's the best way to communicate demand and so a reason to produce parts we want/need.

Roll: 760-731-5920

k265r
03-17-2009, 09:14 PM
Do you have the number for honda I would call them every day for some hoods and gas tanks.

All250R
03-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by k265r
Do you have the number for honda I would call them every day for some hoods and gas tanks.
I deal with a Honda distributor, so I don't contact Honda directly. That's a good question though. I wonder if there is a way to petition honda powersports. Their website just implies that you have to search for a dealer. I'll see if I can get some info on that though...

Jonny B
03-18-2009, 02:22 PM
I am looking high and low for a qt 3.6 gallon tank cover...very hard to find these and need it to complete my lobo xc project. My oversize blue tank looks dumb with my red and black graphics. Anybody else looking for one of these?

All250R
03-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Ok, this is important. OEM parts - there is a means to petition Honda for demand in parts you want and haven't been able to get. When you call this number, the information becomes available to the different departments inside Honda for review.

So parts discontinuation - typically a part gets discontinued when demand is low and the manufacturer goes out of business (which is increasing as of late). They have to see a certain monthly demand for the parts before they will go through the trouble to seek out and go through the process of design, manufacturing process and quality control. Around the 18-20 model year mark is when they start to lose interest in continuing parts. This is where we can help.

I don't know first hand other than what people tell me and what I see you guys talking about online how, but if there is a resurgence in interest in the TRX250R from people leaving the high performance and high cost 4-stroke, then it would be time to send feedback to the OEM for their consideration.

I have to imagine that for person who does not place an order for part because they are told its discontinued, if that request was known to Honda corporate it has the opportunity to count as demand.

I called and voiced interest in the light hoods for the 88-89 model years. That information again, gets put into a central information area that is reviewed by Honda sales, etc. The rep I talked to made a specific point to let me know that Honda is interested in customer feedback like this and is actively reviewed. That's the important part, if you call, the information will get reviewed. So you will make a difference.

One example is the Pilot 350 fenders. They were at one point discontinued, but enough customers wanted the parts so honda went through the trouble to find another manufacturer.

She couldn't give me an exact number, but as an example 2 or 3 requests/month for a part are not enough to regain financial interest in the part. Along the lines of 20 starts to sound more attractive to them. So our voices count here - 20 (apx) requests a month.

So what parts would customers across the US and world can we focus on to get interest in manufacturing. Again, instead of resigning to the part being discontinued, call Honda corporate and tell them you're interested in this part. Instead of sitting back, let them know - it counts.

Here are a couple parts I think we have a reasonable chance to get back on the Invoice slip, and every time I get the urge or a friend or customer wants one, I'm going to call corporate and let them know. Add to this list or voice a second, third, etc yay for the need for the part.

Having said all this, a lot of TRX250R parts are still being made. However, they're looking to get rid of parts if they lose a manufacturer for this old of a model. It's still important that they know we want parts to stay on the continue list when their time comes to shed possibly it.

These are the ones I want back.
parts - regular basis:
86 short rod crankshaft

once in a while basis:
88-89 light hoods - may be able to get current fender mfg to simply continue

Honda corporate customer service (Torrance CA): 866-784-1870
Call them right now!

jcs003
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
86 short rod crankshaft

i believe this is what alot of people would want.

All250R
03-18-2009, 10:19 PM
OEM parts guys - if you want to take matters into your hands, you have to take some action...

250Renvy
03-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by All250R
OEM parts guys - if you want to take matters into your hands, you have to take some action...

Thank-you for this information. I will be calling to enquire about a number of parts but also to just have some info on the process.

If you guys call, enquire about counterbalancers and headlights as well.

All250R
03-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Thank-you for this information. I will be calling to enquire about a number of parts but also to just have some info on the process.

If you guys call, enquire about counterbalancers and headlights as well.
Yea, it's worth it to just feel like you contacted someone there and did something to plug yourself into the situation. I talked to Kelly - she was bright and totally helpful. I was surprised actually. Well worth the phone call!

05LSR250R
03-19-2009, 06:45 AM
This is good information people! I will be placing many calls!

A squeeky wheel gets the grease!

k265r
03-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Thank you ALL250R for the number. nothing compares to certain new honda parts they really bring an old machine back to shinny new condition.

bansheeboyo
03-20-2009, 01:43 PM
i would take 2 sets of pegs and heelguards
1 red plastic scoop
and a super light weight frame

Aceman
03-20-2009, 06:45 PM
If you guys call, enquire about counterbalancers as well.

You know you can replace the bearings on those, right?

honda4traxx87
03-23-2009, 07:44 AM
what about Quad Tech Gas Tank covers for a 3.6gal. IMS Tank.....Definitly interested in that and a scooped CF hood.

Honda 250r 001
03-23-2009, 09:29 AM
OK so what happend to the pegs? I WOULD REALLY LIKE SOME.

bansheeboyo
03-23-2009, 12:13 PM
we should get a post going with a petition thing with list of names and parts we want and send it to ims and other companys
i recently took part in one of these on bansheehq and we got DMC to make like 50 odd pairs of 916's
any one up for doing this with the pegs and what not

Honda 250r 001
03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
i will sign the petition for the pegs. I will buy some also when they make a batch.