PDA

View Full Version : 450r carb jetting... I know...

Which 450?
03-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I know we got a humongous thread already, but I'm still having trouble. I think im running a 52 pilot, and a 183 main jet. Now it runs decent, but my problem is when I come down off a high speed run and pull the clutch in it stalls. The bike is stock besides the carb, uni air filter, outerwears airbox lid and a biggun rev box. I think im mega rich, judging by what other people are running, on the main, but when I leaned it out I started loosing mega power. I actually think Im lean because the bike seems to be quicker now that its warming up. Any ideas?

hypersnyper6947
03-16-2009, 11:23 PM
how is your idle?

Which 450?
03-17-2009, 04:33 AM
It idles fine

hypersnyper6947
03-17-2009, 11:34 AM
I would imagine that your rich b/c of your lack of mods and how big the main and pilot are, look at my mods in my sig and i run 178main and 48pilot needle on the 4 slot from the top. Pm zrpilot he's the man with this and can help you better than anybody else can.

scuzz
03-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
I would imagine that your rich b/c of your lack of mods and how big the main and pilot are, look at my mods in my sig and i run 178main and 48pilot needle on the 4 slot from the top. Pm zrpilot he's the man with this and can help you better than anybody else can.

X2

Which 450?
03-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Yea I know, but I start losing power when I go leaner. But I just noticed today I can smell gas very strong when the bike is idling.

buster024
03-17-2009, 08:00 PM
I've got ZRPILOT's old carb. He sold it to me when he sold his bike (I can't believe you did ZR!) I'll check exactly what mine is, but I have a full Yoshi (minus the spark arrester), so we'd most definetly be different, but it would give you an idea on where to start.
The bikes torn apart, so I'll check out the jet's tonight for you.

Which 450?
03-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Sweet! This carb was on a z400 that was bored out and had some kinda pipe on it, so I know it would be way to rich, but the bike runs to damn good like this. Im gonna run to the cycle shop tomorrow and pickup a few jets.

zrpilot
03-18-2009, 06:42 AM
A couple of things to check:

1) Where is the needle clip position?

2) Did you check the float level? The FLOAT level is VERY important to be set correctly, it does make a difference.

3) Are you 100% sure the hot start plunger is completely closing off the hot start passages! If not, just spend $20 bucks and put a whole new hot start plunger in the carb.

4) Check the air cut off diaphragm, this prevents after burn generated by a lean fuel mixture when throttle is closed The Cut-off valve temporarily closes the slow-jet air passage, which instantly creates a richer mixture

Which 450?
03-18-2009, 08:03 PM
zrpilot, thanks for the reply. The only thing I am sure of out of everything you said is that the hotstart plug is blocked. 1st ride out on the carb, it sucked what the guy before me put in it, through. So I epoxied it shut, its definitely plugged. I will check the needle and float level soon. Ive been so darn busy recently. Also, what is the air cut off diaphragm? Once again, I extremely appreciate the help!