PDA

View Full Version : temp gauge...where to mount??

1promodfan
03-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Just wondering where is the best place to mount the temp. gauge so you can see what temp. its running? Feel free to post up some pics so I can get an idea.

Also, does those inline coolers really make a difference?

deathman53
03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
the place where most mount the temp gauges is in the return line from the radiator, its also easy to see there too. The correct place to put them is in the line coming from the head, its hard to see there, hence many don't put it there. And your other question, the inline coolers don't do anything, especially the 5 fin ones. I have a 20 fin cooler and I don't notice any difference with it. If you put a temp gauge coming from the return of the radiator, if should be reading 160-180. On my atc250r, I have a temp gauge between the 2 radiators, it runs 160-200 depending how fast I'm going, how much I'm lugging the motor and the load of the motor. My hybrid runs 140-180(gauge is on the return from radiator), it will go over 200 and over 250 if I'm putting it or letting it idle for a time.

BERT306
03-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Heres mine, mounted in the return line. Its easy to see

wilkin250r
03-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by 1promodfan
Also, does those inline coolers really make a difference?

Not really. Maybe 1 degree, if you're lucky.

What DOES help is to use water and Redline Water Wetter (no antifreeze).

Antifreeze has two main functions, to keep your system from freezing, and equally as important, to keep your system from corroding.

The actual part that keeps your cooling system from freezing is called Glycol, usually propylene glycol, and it really sucks for thermal transfer. Getting rid of that glycol would significantly improve your cooling system's efficiency. Problem is, if you run straight water, you end up with corrosion problems.

This is the beauty of Water Wetter. It contains all the corrosion inhibitors you need, but without the glycol. Getting rid of the glycol will drop your temps 5-10 degrees. Water Wetter also contains an additive to reduce surface tension, which will drop temps another 5-7 degrees or so.

If your motor sits in freezing temps, you're going to need the antifreeze, because if it freezes it can crack your radiator. But in the summer, when it won't freeze overnight, a combination of distilled water and Water Wetter (no antifreeze) will usually drop your coolant temps by 15 degrees or so.

wes350x
03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
Oh, da*n, I mounted mine from the bottom of the rad to the engine. Saw a pic of 2 bikes so thats where I put it. Does it make that huge of a difference? what should the temp be there?

Aceman
03-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Here's a pic of one I made:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u305/Poopfarmer/carb4.jpg

I like where it's at, it's tucked up nice and tight under the plastic just low enough that you can see it when you look down there.

morse250r
03-17-2009, 03:28 AM
i had mine in the lower hose from the motor to the bottom of the rad it is a much lower read beacuse its cooled water pump pulls it out of the rad and into the water pump and out the cyl head to the top of the rad so as many have stated that hose from the cyl to the rad is the best true read

Honda 250r 001
03-17-2009, 11:51 PM
i put mine in the line that runs antifreeze from the head to the radiator. I wanted the most accurate reading possible.

dunatic
03-18-2009, 12:07 AM
I have one at both ends of the radiator....Ive got a 510cc motor that typically runs a lil hot, so i wanted to know how well my cooling system is working.

Going in is 190-210, coming out is 170-185 all day long.