PDA

View Full Version : painting/powdercoating fram/a-arms....whats a good paint?

tom416ex
03-16-2009, 03:47 PM
I have an 02 400ex, it had leager a-arms, there red but all beat up, i wanna repaint them. Whats a good paint to use that can take some abuse? I also want to repaint my frame withot having to take it all apart........ whats a good paint to use to powdercoat it/paint it? Any info would be great guys...
thanks

03-16-2009, 03:56 PM
there is no way you can paint the frame without taking it apart and it going to look worth a crap. pc is the way to go on frames and stuff that takes a beating.

DuwBra
03-16-2009, 04:15 PM
If you want it to take a beating like you're saying, you will have to powder coat it. And like he said, you cant paint a frame without taking everything apart, thats physically impossible, not to mention how crappy it'd be.

DirtMonkey
03-16-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah definately pull the bike apart and powdercoat it. If you really want something durable get it line-x'd but that will add a little more weight than your other options

DP400
03-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Just a sugestion, my buddy painted his banshee rims with black por-15 and they turned out awsome. That stuff is supposed to be durable. He sold it though so we were not sure how long it lasted. He had it for 3 months though and they still looked good.

tom416ex
03-16-2009, 05:57 PM
i know that it should be stripped apart. (the bike). but my buddy just picked up a 400 and the fram was powdercoated black. the guy did it himself without taking the motor out... its looks awesome...

jcs003
03-16-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by tom416ex
i know that it should be stripped apart. (the bike). but my buddy just picked up a 400 and the fram was powdercoated black. the guy did it himself without taking the motor out... its looks awesome...

can't be done. when you powdercoat the paint gets baked on.

tom416ex
03-16-2009, 06:27 PM
haha okay then, it was just painted, but whatever it was it came out real nice.... hahaha

03-16-2009, 06:54 PM
rustoleum "hammered" paint... If you are going to rattle can arms. I did mine. They were a beat up red so I painted them black. It holds up good. Once its time for a rebuild everything will be done right (PCd).

I'll post pics tommorrow

dave4881
03-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I've painted a few items on my quad using the Rust-Oleum Applicance Epoxy (black) that I bought at Home Depot. It is very durable, but takes a couple days to cure.

sc400ex_rider
03-20-2009, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by dave4881
I've painted a few items on my quad using the Rust-Oleum Applicance Epoxy (black) that I bought at Home Depot. It is very durable, but takes a couple days to cure.

do they have other colors?

03-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Heres the pics of the rustoleum "hammered" paint on my a-arms... This was after a week of riding nothing but trails.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/Ispend100gsonwhiteTs/FoHundred/PICT0561.jpg

Its holds up great for rattle can. It has like a textured type finish. No primer is needed either.

03-21-2009, 03:26 PM
did you even have to sand down the old paint before you painted it?

Sanddraging28
03-21-2009, 07:28 PM
i just did some stuff on my beater 416 with some red metal flake out of a spray can....did the rims with some anodized color in a spray can also...i think it looks ok

03-21-2009, 07:44 PM
^ that looks awesome
Let us know how it holds up

03-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by 0101
did you even have to sand down the old paint before you painted it?

Of course you have to sand. Not to bare metal though.

DRich43
03-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Just my 2 cents in this...I have painted multiple sets of A-Arms with Duplicolor Bed Liner Spray in a can, you can buy it at any Autozone and it looks great. I have riden with it for 3 years on my 450r and it looked perfect the day i sold it. My 400ex was just done this winter and I expect the same results.

Its low cost, durable, looks very good and anyone can do it. I'm not sure but I think you can even get it in different colors other than Black.

Either way you go GOOD LUCK...

rob_990
03-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by DRich43
Just my 2 cents in this...I have painted multiple sets of A-Arms with Duplicolor Bed Liner Spray in a can, you can buy it at any Autozone and it looks great. I have riden with it for 3 years on my 450r and it looked perfect the day i sold it. My 400ex was just done this winter and I expect the same results.

Its low cost, durable, looks very good and anyone can do it. I'm not sure but I think you can even get it in different colors other than Black.

Either way you go GOOD LUCK...

got any pics?

DRich43
03-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Not right now, but im doing this same thing to a friends 400ex this weekend and I will take some pictures then.

If you do decide to do this be sure to let it dry all the way (24hrs)before riding. If you use any other truck bed lining do the same.

I have also done a frame this way by Rhino Liner and it cost me far less than powder coating and was much more durable too. It was also heavier but in my case I dont care about a pound or two!

I'll post those pictures when I can...

jcs003
03-23-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by DRich43
Not right now, but im doing this same thing to a friends 400ex this weekend and I will take some pictures then.

If you do decide to do this be sure to let it dry all the way (24hrs)before riding. If you use any other truck bed lining do the same.

I have also done a frame this way by Rhino Liner and it cost me far less than powder coating and was much more durable too. It was also heavier but in my case I dont care about a pound or two!

I'll post those pictures when I can...

how did you prep it? i heard that bed liner paint can go over old paint as long as it is clean.

DRich43
03-23-2009, 04:34 PM
First i Pressure wash the part, then hand clean and degrease all necessary areas. I will then sand all rust areas and ruff spots, if i go down to the bare metal i'll put some primer on but if not no big deal. Then I spray or roll on what ever bedliner i have...or have it sprayed.

Like i said before, its super easy and anyone can do it!

Just make sure that your getting bedliner and not undercoating! Any Bedliner kit will do just make sure it a name brand!

I'll be off line till friday so take care and good luck,