PDA

View Full Version : 1999 against 2000

Pabst_Powered
03-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Okay so some friends n I got our quads out the other day, I just recently traded my sled for a 1999 400ex w/ T-4 slip-on, K&N filter, DG bumper and nerfs, Renthal bars, and I just installed a Sparks key(which i think i did right since it started and runs fine with no pops), and which i feel no difference at all in performance. Anyways mine is alittle modded and lighter, and my buddy has 2000 400ex STOCK right down to the tires and he whooped me, then we switched quads and i won on his as he was on mine. So my motor must be really weak right? Whats the stock compression sopposed to be? and now i have like a screaching sound from my carrier as well...good times, any help would be great, Thanx

coryatver
03-16-2009, 02:00 PM
First of all put in new rear axle bearings. If it came with the K&N filter the motor is probley toast especially if it doesn't have an outerwears. Put in a foam uni or twin air and clean it pretty much every ride. If it already had all those mods it may not have been jetted right so you may have to jet it. Also make sure your throttle cable is adjusted so you are opening up full throttle.

BossHogg420
03-16-2009, 02:32 PM
it is probably been geared lower...is he beating you top end or down low

scuzz
03-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah sounds like your bearings in the rear are shot.

Make sure that all of the bolt holes that hold the skidplate in place still have bolts in them. If not you could be getting water/dirt in there and it eating your bearings.

Pabst_Powered
03-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by hondarider11
Problem with your carrier is that your bearings are shot. I have no idea on engine.

Thanx, thats what i thought but didnt wanna hear, ive been checking it out and there is alot of play in the axel, there on order

Pabst_Powered
03-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
First of all put in new rear axle bearings. If it came with the K&N filter the motor is probley toast especially if it doesn't have an outerwears. Put in a foam uni or twin air and clean it pretty much every ride. If it already had all those mods it may not have been jetted right so you may have to jet it. Also make sure your throttle cable is adjusted so you are opening up full throttle.

thanx, i just ordered the bearings and filter, all the mods were there except the Sparks key, i have no idea about being jetted(i was wondering the same when i got but it was like 5 degrees out so really couldnt tell), any idea what the jets should be? ill have to check out the throttle cable...thanx again

Pabst_Powered
03-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by BossHogg420
it is probably been geared lower...is he beating you top end or down low

his is 15/38 same as mine, low end was about the same but high he would walk right away, same way when i was on his

Pabst_Powered
03-16-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
Yeah sounds like your bearings in the rear are shot.

Make sure that all of the bolt holes that hold the skidplate in place still have bolts in them. If not you could be getting water/dirt in there and it eating your bearings.

all the bolts are there, but the bearings probably are still factory and who knows what the previous owners did with it, its really clean for a 99 thou, Thanx

Pabst_Powered
03-16-2009, 07:17 PM
thanx for all the help so far

bbender85
03-17-2009, 09:48 AM
if your compression tests out good definitely check the jetting; with that filter and pipe it would be real lean if the jets weren't richened up like they should have been when those mods were done... which would be starving it on the top end.

coryatver
03-17-2009, 09:53 AM
I had a pro circuit slip on and air box lid on and for jetting I used a 155 main jet. Also put in a 42 pilot jet it makes cold starting easy.

Sanddraging28
03-17-2009, 10:05 PM
jetting depends on where you live and ride......i would try a K160 main jet and a 45 pilot. i would stick with the K&N filter and just get an outerwear for it...those foam filters are junk-IMO