PDA

View Full Version : LT80 problem

Honda-Pilot
03-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi, had my boys lt80 for a while and at first it was great, then it started to stall alot and bog itself down. The fuel tap was leaking so i thought it may have something to do with this so i have replaced it but it is still doing it, the thing is if you leave the choke on it runs ok, with out the choke it ticks over great and sometimes it will go for say 30 seconds then it starts to bog down and stall but if you apply the choke its ok?

Has anyone had this issue with an LT80? Its really starting to frustrate me.

Cheers
Dan.

dunatic
03-16-2009, 09:44 PM
main jet partially plugged.

remove the carb and clean every orifice thoroughly

LT80
03-17-2009, 05:13 AM
Welcome to the forums. :)
Like mentioned, clean the carb.
Prolly should do a compression test if the problem persists.

"Has anyone had this issue with an LT80?"
Heck yes! I've typed my fingers to the bone typing "clean the carb". LOL

etondaddy
03-17-2009, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by LT80
Welcome to the forums. :)
Like mentioned, clean the carb.
Prolly should do a compression test if the problem persists.

"Has anyone had this issue with an LT80?"
Heck yes! I've typed my fingers to the bone typing "clean the carb". LOL
There's nothing like the smell of a boiling carburetor........ if you add some onions, carrots, and celery you really got something.

Mike Kozura

Honda-Pilot
03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the help but after cleaning the carb it has only got worse, now it will only tick over with the choke on, as soon as you take the choke off or throttle it it dies, even if i try to throttle it a tiny amount you can hear it ready to die, any ideas?

Also i was going to order one of the carb rebuild kits from the US, are they any good or should i just stick with getting the bits from suzuki themselves?

Dan.

dunatic
03-17-2009, 10:18 AM
i think that most ebay sellers are selling factory OEM kits.

i still think you have a plugged carb somewhere.

take a small thin piece of wire and push it thru every hole there is. make sure the needle is attached to the slide as well and is not moving up and down keeping the main jet plugged when you open the throttle.....tho I dont know how this could happen, but check it anyways.

etondaddy
03-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Honda-Pilot
Hi,
Thanks for the help but after cleaning the carb it has only got worse, now it will only tick over with the choke on, as soon as you take the choke off or throttle it it dies, even if i try to throttle it a tiny amount you can hear it ready to die, any ideas?

Also i was going to order one of the carb rebuild kits from the US, are they any good or should i just stick with getting the bits from suzuki themselves?

Dan.
The first thing you need to do is take compression and make sure we're not beating a dead horse here. If it's OK then you need to disassemble the whole carb....everything that will come off it..... then spray all the passages with choke cleaner (watch your eyes...lol) then blow it out with compressed air real good then spray it with choke cleaner again then spray it down with some kind of cleaner I use purple power and then rinse it with the hottest water you got then blow it out again real good. Then put it back together...and if that doesn't do I'll be surprised. Some guys do actually boil them.....lol and blow all the parts off before you put it back together...hold the jets up to the light and look through them. The fumes from the choke cleaner, purple power and hot water are great.......lol

Mike Kozura

Honda-Pilot
03-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Right ive completely stripped the carb and its boiling as i speak, now i just need some help on the compression test, im new to all this, i have a good understanding but normally i just pay someone to do it. Do i make up my own plates to block of the inlet and outlet on the head? What sort of pressure should i be looking for? How long should it stay pressured? As ive said i have never done one before so the help would be nice.

Many Thanks
Dan.

etondaddy
03-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Right ive completely stripped the carb and its boiling as i speak, now i just need some help on the compression test, im new to all this, i have a good understanding but normally i just pay someone to do it. Do i make up my own plates to block of the inlet and outlet on the head? What sort of pressure should i be looking for? How long should it stay pressured? As ive said i have never done one before so the help would be nice.

Many Thanks
Dan.
No need to block anything off it's not that type of test. You need a compression gage from any automotive parts store....just a cheap one is fine. It screws into the spark plug hole.....hold the throttle open and crank the motor over until the needle quits going up and let us know what you got.....not sure what it is new you'd have to ask lt80 (Jack Moore) We should be in the low one hundreds. You should do it hot but a cold reading will let us know if the horse is still alive or not.

Do you have an air compressor......blow it out real good...the carb that is.

Mike Kozura

Honda-Pilot
03-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Well you think it shouldnt be done but boy that boiling up a carb really does a good job, theres alot of crap in there you cant see.
I wont fit it yet i will carry out a compression test tomorrow to see if thats ok first. I will post what i find on here so someone can tell me if what i get is good/bad.

Thanks again
Dan.

dunatic
03-17-2009, 05:35 PM
compression should be around 100psi.

you dont need the carb, but you do need the reeds to be in place to perform the test.

it should only take about 10 seconds on the electric starter or about 10 pulls on the rope.

Honda-Pilot
03-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Right done a compression test thismorning and i think i have either got a faulty tester or a big problem? it was reading 170psi or their abouts, i done the test from cold so i know it makes a difference but isnt that quite high? What could cause this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan.

etondaddy
03-18-2009, 06:17 AM
Right done a compression test thismorning and i think i have either got a faulty tester or a big problem? it was reading 170psi or their abouts, i done the test from cold so i know it makes a difference but isnt that quite high? What could cause this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dan.
Your good it will go down when the motor is hot.......it's in the carb. Blow it out real good and but it back together. You should have about 150 psi when it's hot.......that's great. I will do my sones cold and see what I get.

Mike Kozura

Honda-Pilot
03-18-2009, 06:48 AM
As i said the carb came out of the pan real nice and i have stuck it back together, but with the idle screw as a good starting point how many turns out should i come with it?

Dan.

etondaddy
03-18-2009, 06:54 AM
As i said the carb came out of the pan real nice and i have stuck it back together, but with the idle screw as a good starting point how many turns out should i come with it?

Dan.
Well what you do is count the turns it takes to bottom it out.... then when you put it back together bottom it out then back it out that many..... but it's no big deal your just going to have to wing it....lol if it's way to high when you start it just shut it off and back it off then just adjust it were you want it.

Mike Kozura

Honda-Pilot
03-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Well i replaced the carb started her up and WOW she has a whole new lease of life, i just cant believe how well she is running, ive only had her out for about 5 minutes but fingers crossed she done. I have another lt80 sitting in the garden that doesnt even start i was going to use her as spares but im boiling the carb up now just to see if i can get her going, i give her a compression test and its giving 160psi so this mi9ght work.

Thanks again for all the help you guy have given me and maybe i can pass on the boil up a carb trick to someone i know. I will let you know how the other lt80 comes along.

Thanks Again
Dan.:D :D :D

etondaddy
03-18-2009, 08:13 AM
Well i replaced the carb started her up and WOW she has a whole new lease of life, i just cant believe how well she is running, ive only had her out for about 5 minutes but fingers crossed she done. I have another lt80 sitting in the garden that doesnt even start i was going to use her as spares but im boiling the carb up now just to see if i can get her going, i give her a compression test and its giving 160psi so this mi9ght work.

Thanks again for all the help you guy have given me and maybe i can pass on the boil up a carb trick to someone i know. I will let you know how the other lt80 comes along.

Thanks Again
Dan.:D :D :D
HaHa..........good deal glad to help.

Mike Kozura

LT80
03-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Good job guys. :)