PDA

View Full Version : How fast are crotch rockets???

jesseweaver
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
my friend just got a MINT 99 trans am with 23000 miles on it and its got like 350 hp and man that thing flys. ive wanted a crotch rocket since i was probably 5 and am planning on getting one in the near future BUT... theres 2 cars ive been looking at, a newer audi s4 for $12000 and a 99 trans am with 80,000 on it but its really nice and its got like 450hp:macho those cars would be so much fun, so can anyone put it in perspective how fast crotch rockets are (im talking newer like 06+ 600cc class) how much quicker are they than say a 350 horse trans am. what kind of cars are their speed comparable with?

i was looking at 1/4 mile times and i saw the stock 4th generation trans ams can run high 12s. stock ninja 636s (which is what im leaning towards) can run like 11 flat. :ermm:

06YFZ450SE
03-15-2009, 08:00 PM
I dont now how fast crotch rockets are. But I had a trans am with 480 HP to the wheels it went 11.22@120-123 MPH in the 1/4.

deathcorefan2
03-15-2009, 08:01 PM
ok a car will just not beat a bike...it takes A LOT to beat a fast bike.

scottsworld
03-15-2009, 08:14 PM
my boys gsxr smoked a guys ws6 with alot of work to it that thought he could beats bikes

Tommy 17
03-15-2009, 08:22 PM
lets put it this way...

i got a 2006 cbr600rr... top speed 163 mph thats shift light on 6th gear....

So far up to like 120mph i've beat everything from a new shelby gt500 to a linkenfelter z06 corvette to STIs... those are 60,000 to 100,000 cars pushing well over 500hp and they didn't stand a chance up to the 100 or 120 range... after that the car will win but u rarly ever have enough distance... A car juts can't hang with the bikes out of the hole they rev way to fast!

JJs450r
03-15-2009, 08:36 PM
i raced a twin turboed S2000 on my 954 and only pulled 3 cars on it, but the S2000 beat a couple 600s in the group, but ya my 450r beat a worked z28 in the 8th but would beat me in the quater so id say wouldnt compare without alot of work

440racer66
03-15-2009, 09:04 PM
definatly insane

TGW_400ex
03-15-2009, 09:24 PM
I don't quite get what you want to know but yea bikes are faster. It is hard to not speed for me sometimes.

blacknblue#2
03-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Like said before it takes a very freakin built car to beat a bike. Ive got an R6 now ive never done much readin on it but i had a CBR600RR a couple years back. According to a test that one of the cycle magazines done they said that bike ran like 10.7 in the quarter off the showroom floor. Those numbers may be wrong i never checked to see. Buts its hard to beat something with over 100 horse, runs 16000rpm and weighs 400lbs.

JJs450r
03-15-2009, 10:04 PM
^^^ sounds about right, i was running 9.7-10.0 on my 95 depending how i launched

muddy400EX
03-15-2009, 10:07 PM
i never understood how people could race cars vs bikes, there just not comparable what so ever:confused:

TGW_400ex
03-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by muddy400EX
i never understood how people could race cars vs bikes, there just not comparable what so ever:confused:

Guess they don't know what power to weight ratios are.

06YFZ450SE
03-15-2009, 10:38 PM
Me and my dad built a 73 Duster 10.5" tire car Pro Street car that runs 8.20s in the 1/4 mile. We have quite a bit of money in this car. It runs 5.30 in the 1/8 mile.

hypersnyper6947
03-15-2009, 10:41 PM
My buddy had a trans am, not sure what year but newer body style, and he had more problems with that car than any car any of my friends had. He ended up trading it in for a ranger. Go for the S4 there sick, and can be worked to be really fast, there also AWD so then grip like a mother.

tri5ron
03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Jesse,
I'm not trying to pick on you, and I don't mean to be a jerk here.

but reading your sig, and then reading your question makes me think that you've got to do a little thinking about your mortality.

At 17 years old, very few of us think that far in advance, and speed is the ultimate rush for us. on the track that's fine, but on the street, it's deadly. trust me, I've buried more of my close friends than I care to think about. most were caused by speed.

PLEASE do not choose a car or bike simply by how fast it goes, or who it will beat. There is and old saying among bike riders,

"There are only 2 types of riders,...
those who HAVE crashed,... and those who are Going to crash".

(and I am one who has hit the road myself.)
my left foot is held on to my leg with 3 screws, that look like drywall screws in the x-ray. my ankle does not flex more than a few degrees, and my knee looks like a big rat took a chunk out of it.
My helmet was cracked in half when it went into the curb, and the face guard was ripped completly off. I have various scars all over my body. This was all from going down at only 50mph.

at 150mph you are traveling more than a football field every second.
There IS no time to react. please think about that, and you'll be able to make it to 18.

Ron

muddy400EX
03-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Jesse,

but reading your sig, and then reading your question makes me think that you've got to do a little thinking about your mortality.

At 17 years old, very few of us think that far in advance, and speed is the ultimate rush for us. on the track that's fine, but on the street, it's deadly. trust me, I've buried more of my close friends than I care to think about. most were caused by speed.

PLEASE do not choose a car or bike simply by how fast it goes, or who it will beat. There is and old saying among bike riders,

my left foot is held on to my leg with 3 screws, that look like drywall screws in the x-ray. my ankle does not flex more than a few degrees, and my knee looks like a big rat took a chunk out of it.
My helmet was cracked in half when it went into the curb, and the face guard was ripped completly off. I have various scars all over my body. This was all from going down at only 50mph.

There IS no time to react. please think about that, and you'll be able to make it to 18.

Ron

id listen to this dude, he knows his stuff:cool: dont base your purchase on the fastest thing u can find

trick250r
03-16-2009, 12:15 AM
when i first got my bike (08 cbr600) i thought it was fun to mess with the kids in turboed civic and stuff. that got old quick. ;) haha there are two cars around here that i would even compare the speed of my bike to and thats a ferrari f430 spider and a dodge viper srt... sadly enough the viper was the only one who would race me... the car is fast as hell but the bike still came out on top. now on to the serious matter... if youre buying a bike or even looking at a bike for arguments sake, just to have something cheaper that will beat most cars, YOU ARE A JACK*****. sorry to sound harsh but youre what 17? granted im only 19, but ive seen first hand what happens when you start street racing bikes. a friend of mine who wrecked in august is just now starting to walk again. thank god he wasnt paralyzed or killed. i really dont care if you listen to me or not, its your life, but dont give us guys who ride bikes a bad name by being the next statistic. talk about this stuff AFTER youve had a bike (which is A LOT different than a quad or dirtbike... yes some experience carries over but its a whole new ballgame). get a bike to cruise around and maybe pick up chicks with. dont get one to race your buddies in their cars. i dont have room to talk seeing as ive been in your situation before but for having a motorcycle for only 2 years, ive grown up a lot faster than i would have without one. if you wanna race a bike, do it legit on a track... if you wanna race in the streets, the real race is going to be your parents going to the ER to see their son on a ventilator. think about it kid.

Jeff

hypersnyper6947
03-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Just get a truck, there cool, chicks dig them, there safe and you can haul your quad around with it

suck my pipe
03-16-2009, 01:30 AM
FAST I had a GSXR750 that I had up to 178mph and it still had some to go. I have never felt any thing even close to comparing to the excelleration and speed of a bike. they handle so well that at 100mph you feel like your going 60mph in a car. 600's are fast but are not nearly as intense as the 750. I never had the chance to ride a 1000 or up but I would think they are the same in comparison as a 600 to a 750. I got rid of mine because they are just too fast, a wreck at those speeds is going to be bad. The fun is top notch and the risk is too. If you decide to get one make sure it has a steering stabilizer or add one to it. I would never ride a bike with out one.

Regular_Joe
03-16-2009, 06:42 AM
Basically on sportbikes it works like this ....

600cc -> 1st tops out about 70 mph
1000cc -> 1st tops out about 100 mph

From there the next 2 gears add 20 mph each, and the next 3 gears add 15mph each. Puts the top speeds about 150's and 170's .... no matter what the speedometer is telling you. There is a lot of speedometer error on bikes.

Kinda hard to beat something in the 1/4 that is topping out at 100 mph in 1st gear.

03-16-2009, 08:08 AM
I built the worlds fastest lifan crotch rocket. Its on lifan forums 24/7. Not nothing special stock but I made it super special!!!! Fastest and lightest Lifan crotch rocket in the world. A mag comp was all crazy over this.

It's a left over national YZ450 engine from a quad in the chassis lmao!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n26/getdrunk1990/4wheeler390-1.jpg

Warnerade
03-16-2009, 08:52 AM
mine does wheelies

03-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Warnerade
mine does wheelies

Mine does 5th gear wheelies at monent notace. Its a national 450 engine in a light street super light bike frame.

jesseweaver
03-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by TGW_400ex
I don't quite get what you want to know but yea bikes are faster. It is hard to not speed for me sometimes.

yea i dont really know what im asking either haha. ive wanted a bike for a long time and know they're fast but was wondering how fast they are in comparison to a 450 or 500 horse car.

and no im not getting a bike to just go as fast as possible on. im not some 17 year old that goes out and gets a new 600cc and sees how far they can wheelie right away. ive out about 7000 miles on a ninja 250 last year and took a safety course. i know its a 250 but they're still plenty fast enough to do some damage. i didnt have that down at all. i think i am more of the conservative type of rider.

krt400ex
03-16-2009, 10:25 AM
this is in miles per hour. its acutlly in jersey not too far from me. these are 600cc bikes running with a lambo. this should help some

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVetaw8SMZs

jesseweaver
03-16-2009, 10:31 AM
...btw if i really wanted to just go fast, i'd go for an older gsxr 1000 or busa or something. i'd rather get an 06+ gsxr or a newer zx6r or a 636. something a little nicer with low miles and good condition.

Motoracer13
03-16-2009, 11:14 PM
This was in an email I got today from a buddy thats into Ducati's. Basically there's a couple of pics of a bike inside a Volkswagon.

"The Honda rider was traveling at such a 'very high speed', his reaction time was not sufficient enough to
avoid this accident. Swedish Police estimate a speed of ~250 KM/H (155 mph) before the bike hit the
slow moving car side-on at an intersection. At that speed, they predicted that the rider's reaction time
(once the vehicle came into view) wasn't sufficient enough for him to even apply the brakes.
The car had two passengers and the bike rider was found INSIDE the car with them.
The Volkswagen actually flipped over from the force of impact and landed 10 feet from where the collision
took place.

All three involved (two in car and rider) were killed instantly. This graphic demonstration was placed at the
Stockholm Motorcycle Fair by the Swedish Police and Road Safety Department. The sign above the display
also noted that the rider had only recently obtained his license.

At 250 KM (155 mph) the operator is traveling at 227 feet per second. With normal reaction time to
SEE-DECIDE-REACT of 1.6 seconds the above operator would have traveled over 363 feet
while making a decision on what actions to take. In this incident the Swedish police indicate
that no actions were taken.."

Those are some scary #'s for reaction times.

Motoracer13
03-16-2009, 11:16 PM
Stupid computer double post!

ridered92
03-17-2009, 09:42 AM
why dont you just get a cruiser?:confused:

tach13
03-17-2009, 09:59 AM
ive had four rockets, the last a 02 cbr 954rr i just sold. theres nothing like the feeling you get when you twist the throttle of a bike like that. but speeding is to easy and wheelies on the freeway are to fun and to easy. so im getting older and do enough crazy **** on the track that i dont need that anymore. plus when i was 19 and got my first 600 the insurance guy told me the insurance was so exspensive because the life expectancy of a 19 year old on a rocket is two weeks.

67z400
03-17-2009, 07:02 PM
Dude, a lot of people are right with what they are telling you. You may want to rethink you decision. From the sound of your attitude and poor writing skills I take it that you need to some maturing do. I’m not saying you can’t handle something with a lot of power, but it definitely takes some respect and maturity. I have owned LS1 powered cars, LS2 powered cars and a 600cc sportbike. High horsepower machines aren't anything to mess around with. Riding a motorcycle on the street is completely different that dirt ridding. A motorcycle demands more attention from the rider than any kind of high performance car or quad for that matter. Just a few tips, stay safe!

bradley300
03-17-2009, 07:25 PM
car and driver did a car vs. bike test in '06, with a new Z06 vette vs. a hyabusa. In the zero to 100 and back to zero test, i think the bike finished beore the vette got to 100

jesseweaver
03-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by 67z400
Dude, a lot of people are right with what they are telling you. You may want to rethink you decision. From the sound of your attitude and poor writing skills I take it that you need to some maturing do. I’m not saying you can’t handle something with a lot of power, but it definitely takes some respect and maturity. I have owned LS1 powered cars, LS2 powered cars and a 600cc sportbike. High horsepower machines aren't anything to mess around with. Riding a motorcycle on the street is completely different that dirt ridding. A motorcycle demands more attention from the rider than any kind of high performance car or quad for that matter. Just a few tips, stay safe!

i can see how you think that, but im not just going out and buying a crotch rocket to fly around on all the time. i DO have a little experience on a bike (on road). i drive a 2003 mustang. i havent crashed either, im extremely careful cause i pay for EVERYTHING myself. and i think typing skills have very little to do with driving maturity. just because i dont take the time to capitilize my "I"s or use an apostrophe doesn't mean a whole lot (well to me at least)

ridered92
03-17-2009, 07:57 PM
i know i said this before but why not a cruiser?

Flyin_250r
03-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Well i know one thing..... you can crash a bike real quick whether its a 600, 750, 1000, busa. Could be a 250 like you mentioned. So much depends on the rider. As well as the driver in the car. Take that into consideration as well. Ive seen guys at the strip with so much money thrown into their cars get smoked by a guy in a car that wasnt even worthy of being next to them, just because the guy could drive like you wouldnt believe.

Just know, whether its a trans am or a 600 crotch rocket when it comes to speed. BOTH ARE FAST ENOUGH TO KILL YOU if you dont respect them!

Motoracer13
03-17-2009, 09:40 PM
I wasnt saying "dont get a sportbike", I was just posting some reaction times. I personally know 17 year old kids that would ride safer than some people in their 30's. You said you had some experience and that's good. A 600cc isn't a bad bike to start with, it's the people whose first bike is the GSXR1000, R1, ZX10, CBR1000, Busa, or ZX14 that scare me. Just be smart and ALWAYS wear the right gear. Today on the hi-way I passed a guy in shorts and flip flops, he gave me a big smile and nod of the head. All I could do is shake my head in disbelief.

The test Car and Driver did showed how a car carries more speed into a turn where as the bike would walk away coming out of it.

I own a 07 GSXR 1000, I it put through a barbed wire fence last June at 80mph. I was lucky. I was REAL lucky! Walked away with 3 scratches and some bruises. Didnt even need to go to the hospital. The next day a friend of a friend laid his down at 50mph and suffered brain damage. I wasn't being stupid, I just wasn't thinking about riding. It totaled my bike but I put it back together and still ride. I think about that day alot and it puts alot into perspective. If you get a bike, have fun, but be safe and use your head when you ride!

ricksmx865
03-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Jesse,

Ron

I'd listen to this fella too, but I will add when I'm out riding with my buddies its not myself of my buddies im worried about its the other idiots on the road

whatever you decide just be safe

I as well as pre much my entire HS witnessed one of our friends get killed right in front of the school, a majority of the students were out on the front lawn.... kid was doing 100+ and just as he went to pass a car it turned into the school lot

he just wanted to show everyone how fast he could blow by the school :confused:

KXRida
03-18-2009, 05:49 PM
I had my old R6 at 158 and that was banging limiter topped out. I've beat quite a few cars. I can't recall any cars that beat me honestly. I don't know how fast my gsxr 750 topped out. Didn't have enough time to top it out before it got totaled.

ridered92
03-18-2009, 05:51 PM
how did you total it?

Ghost-Rider
03-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Cars can beat bikes,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6WNs5Jh3sRk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6WNs5Jh3sRk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

KXRida
03-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Cars can beat bikes,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6WNs5Jh3sRk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6WNs5Jh3sRk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Never said they couldn't, but judging by the cage, pin on glass front clip, semi gutted interior, and cowl hood, I'd be more than will to say that that car is rather quick.

KXRida
03-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by ridered92
how did you total it?

Old lady rolled through a stop sign.

Before...

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/21/l_d62828a517ea6bcfad6ffdd8b19f8362.jpg

After...
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/71/l_33782bbc6b64619a5e3d43c7c5602994.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/72/l_4c46c94fd4954d9bffca5081a57caad6.jpg

ridered92
03-18-2009, 08:22 PM
damn. how fast were goin?

Stiles86
03-18-2009, 08:27 PM
i had my 1000 up to 186...and my 600 up to 167...

Stiles86
03-18-2009, 08:28 PM
lol

KXRida
03-18-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by ridered92
damn. how fast were goin?

KXRida
03-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Stiles86
lol

haha I hear yah on that one. I only got the normal scratches and scrapes, but pushed my forks back a few inches.

Stiles86
03-18-2009, 08:49 PM
i got t bonned by a bmw at 40 ++ in a t shirt and shorts no helmet..... 23 stiches and a new bike out of the deal thoe, this time i bought a yellow one red and bikes dont mix...something about crashing

buck440
03-18-2009, 09:47 PM
hey i live in ill and was wondering how much insurance is for a bike for the basic minimum coverage. i have 2 speeding tickets and 5 verbal warnings in my car.for like a 600cc bike.

tach13
03-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Depends on your age. But if those tix were recent prolly a couple hundo a month for full coverage.

Premis
03-19-2009, 01:42 AM
my 2003 GSXR 1000 will do 98 in first gear, had it up to 186 with a gear left (closed course, professional rider, of course :) )

All you need to look at is power to weight ratios, for instance, my bike makes 156 HP an weighs 370LBS, so:

370/156 = 2.37LBS/HP

the Trans Am you were looking at:

3500lbs/450hp = 7.7LBS/HP

No comparison.

The beauty of a bike is that they are so fast there is no need to prove it. I always laugh at kids in rice burners that just want to prove how "fast" there car is. No reason to do it on a bike, you can beat most cars in one gear.

Ghost-Rider
03-19-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by KXRida
Never said they couldn't, but judging by the cage, pin on glass front clip, semi gutted interior, and cowl hood, I'd be more than will to say that that car is rather quick.

You could say it's quick,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V64pvhB8sKU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V64pvhB8sKU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BjDaHCkMXkk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BjDaHCkMXkk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HSkwyH5-78g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HSkwyH5-78g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

buck440
03-19-2009, 08:53 PM
a stock bike keeping up with a drag car......the bike is fast

JForestZ34
03-19-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
this is in miles per hour. its acutlly in jersey not too far from me. these are 600cc bikes running with a lambo. this should help some

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVetaw8SMZs

The guys in this video are jackass's.. You don't ride like your an Ahole on the street like that... That is why motorcycle insurance is high on sport bikes... Watching some idiot pop a wheelie on the highway is asking for trouble... Even cutting between to cars on the white line is crazy... Good vid to watch, I hate people that ride that way....

James

JForestZ34
03-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
You could say it's quick,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V64pvhB8sKU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V64pvhB8sKU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BjDaHCkMXkk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BjDaHCkMXkk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HSkwyH5-78g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HSkwyH5-78g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Is that mustang an old highway patrol body.. The paint looks like it could be...

James

Ghost-Rider
03-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Yea it's an old cop car

03-21-2009, 04:37 PM
crotch rocket is a poor mans race car lol They are fast but pretty dangerous. I do live in the state with the most motorcyclist and the most motorcycle injuries and deaths. Most people that get hurt are doing something they should be like stunting or going extremely fast... why? because you can and thats how you get hurt. I wish I had one but I know that I couldnt resist opening it up on some straights and seeing how fast it will go before I chicken out. A lot of automobile drivers either dont know or dont have respect for motorcyclist they will pull out in front of or follow too closely. They dont give them room because most likely they have never ridden one and dont know what its like.