PDA

View Full Version : anyone ride at tug hill ny?

hotshotgoal30
03-15-2009, 07:45 PM
im just wondering whats goin on up there? iv been goin there with snomobiles as they get rediculas amounts of snow. iv also been ther with quads and its a blast. iv heard some trails have closed down and iv also heard they are trying to open up more so does anyone know? i mostly ride around montegue, highmarket, timberview, tuggers areas

gabespal
03-16-2009, 09:33 PM
check out www.NYATVOnline.com go to Forums, look for Region 6. Lots of stuff going on up there, and I'm happy to say what I've read looks good.

hotshotgoal30
03-17-2009, 07:14 AM
im sorry but im so confused now. you now need to pay like a 100 bucks for a permit to ride there? can anyone explain whats going on in english?

gabespal
03-17-2009, 09:47 AM
English is tough when you have to deal with regulatory agencies like the DEC. I would be great if we could take our ATV's to our favorite location and ride but with environmental laws and private property issues those days may be behind us. I'm new to this ATV stuff (fall '08) but here's how I see it, take it for what it's worth.

The guys from upstate NY, Lewis Co in particular, have been working hard to get trails open. Nobody likes fees, but to support our privilege to ride, it takes guys like these and money to support our cause. Anti-ATVers seem to have no problem spending money and spreading there propaganda against ATVing. The only way to counter that is financially support those groups who fight for our privilege to ride. Fees to clubs do that, (I hope). It also helps to ride responsibly, tread lightly, and tone down the loud bikes (less sound more ground) but that's a different subject

The alternative is ride illegally and take your chances, or don't ride. I stinks I know, but if we don't draw a line and fight this we could loose it altogether. If you think not, look what they've done to smoking. Check out the Q & A pamphlet Lewis Co. put together.

Your thoughts? By the way, did you check out NYATVOnline?

hotshotgoal30
03-17-2009, 03:45 PM
i only looked at it for a few minutes before i had to go to work. i mostly was looking to hear from someone who lives down there or who knows whats going on (not saying you dont) because i hear different things all the time. i didnt go up last summer but i went up 2 times the summer before. and ill tell you i have never been bothered. regardless of what time of year it is we always go up to tug hill. there just isnt anything else like it around here. so i was unaware of the improvments they have made. so the truthe is they have opened up more trails? but the catch is the $100 permit you now have to buy? cause there was no permit before. its a hard pill to swallow when you add in fuel, rental house, food, beer ect and they want you to sepnd another $100 just to ride. especially when your trying to bring people up there for the first time and they have no idea what its like. honestly i wish they could do what the snowmobiles do and charge us more on registration. hell i would gladly pay that extra amount to have more trails. look at the amount of trails snowmobilers get.and im totally behind dontating to the trails but to be honest i think id rather donate 50 bucks into a jar and take my chances without a permit. but im not sure how bad the police will be

gabespal
03-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Snirt Run is comming up some time in April. Tug Hill Wheelers site might have more info on that. You might want to catch this one.

jtquad
03-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Basically what you have riden in the past, the roads etc are still open with no permit. The trail system they have made is all off road. This requires the permit as it also requires grooming and bridges etc that clubs up there fund. With no trail fund un place for atvs in NYS this is how its funded. Below is the FAQ from the tug hill site:

http://www.lewiscountychamber.org/pdf/ATV_FAQ.pdf

echids400ex
03-20-2009, 06:50 PM
The SNIRT RUN is on april 11th. The day before easter. As far as the permits and stuff go there is alot of info about it on NYRIDERS.com. I thought I read the Permit is $80 and If you are a member of one of the eight atv clubs involved you can get it for $40.

hotshotgoal30
03-20-2009, 09:47 PM
where abouts do all the off road trails go? like what towns and stuff. the ones you supposidly need a permit for? also will these be labled on the map?

Originally posted by jtquad
Basically what you have riden in the past, the roads etc are still open with no permit. The trail system they have made is all off road. This requires the permit as it also requires grooming and bridges etc that clubs up there fund. With no trail fund un place for atvs in NYS this is how its funded. Below is the FAQ from the tug hill site:

http://www.lewiscountychamber.org/pdf/ATV_FAQ.pdf

jtquad
03-21-2009, 05:50 AM
What im getting from the sites is that the Snirt Run no permits will be needed. So i think im going to go up and check out the trails etc before buying a permit. If you want specifics, JZO on nyatvonline.com is the regional rep for NYSORVA. His region is tug hill and he is the one that does the trailk planning and all the stuff up there. It is the region 6 area in the forums if u check it out. He has a bunch of stickys up - JT

EDIT, JZO is on nyriders.com as well. So either forum will show the info.

hotshotgoal30
03-21-2009, 11:50 AM
alright cool. when you go up to the snirt run let me know how it is and how the trails are and stuff

600howhat
03-28-2009, 09:22 AM
i ride my snowmobile up at tug. Best sledding around IMO. However ive never ridden my wheeler up there. If you guys only own sport quads and wanna go to the snirt run i suggest you dont. Its more for utility quads with 4wd. During the snirt run in some areas there will still be 24in of snow. When may comes around and they open up the new trails id like to check it out.

hotshotgoal30
03-28-2009, 04:31 PM
yeah i know about the snirt run. id never make it. we have a trip planned for august thats why im trying to get to the bottam of whats goin on