PDA

View Full Version : packing??

honda400ex2003
03-15-2009, 07:33 PM
Hey guys I got a quick one. I just repacked my t-4 and did not get it all the way up in there. Do you think it will work its way to the end or should I take it apart and push it down. There is about 1.5" left at the end. What do you guys think. It is the 14" moose stuff for the t-4. Thanks guys, steve

tri5ron
03-15-2009, 07:44 PM
Steve,
if it's not completly packed at the rear, it's not TOO big of a deal, but it is always best to have it full one end to the other.

If it's not packed all to way at the FRONT, then it's a bit bigger of a deal, bacause it will not take long for your core to start burning/corroding away.
(take one guess as to how I know this...)
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/03%20400ex/IMG_8184.jpg

If you do not have any more packing material, a good temporary subsitute is 000 or 00 steel wool. It works pretty well, wil keep from burning out your core, but dosent last as long as the fiberglass packing material.
Works in a pinch, and will last for a while, but you certainly wont go through a whole season with it. But at least it's not too loud, and will keep the db's in an acceptable level.

honda400ex2003
03-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Cool thanks It is a brand new chunk of stuff so it should not be too bad to fix if I need to. It is tough to get it down to the end. I tried it a few times and when I got it back together I thought it was in there but it wasn't. Do you think I could just snag it and pull it back with a pik or something or is it too tight to get it loose? It did not even make it much quieter when it was done. Did it make a difference with anyone else? Thanks for the help guys it is always appreciated. Steve

tri5ron
03-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Before I pulled out the above pic from my Big Gun, it was WAY too loud.
I didn't have any repacking material that day, so stuffed it w/000 steel wool, flipped the core around backwards to have the burned end at the rear, and it was MUCH quieter.

Next time I was at the parts house, I got some packing material, pulled it back out. I had also ordered a new "Quiet Core" to replace my burned up "Race" core, so it was even quieter yet.

And no noticible loss in performance at all. I'm VERY happy with the Quiet core, and new packing.
BIG difference compared to burned race core and half packing, LOL!!!

honda400ex2003
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
I just had a quiet core made but I have not put it in yet. the first time I stuffed it in there it blew the end off and all. I have different bolts in it and they were not in far enough so it just shot it out. Steve

honda400ex2003
03-15-2009, 08:23 PM
I should take a pic of it and post it on here. It is a pipe 5.5" long with 16 .25" holes in it. then the plate that goes on the outside is a .125" peice of steel. It was not the best choice but they could not use the sheet metal I brought with it. They kept burning through it. All well. I need to get longer bolts to hold the end cap on with the extra .125" of steel in it. It was quiet for the minute and a half it was in there. As soon as I hit the gas hard it shot out and I had nothing again. I am sure the neighbors on the lake really enjoyed that. It sounds cool with nothing in there anyway. Steve

Dylanfalcone
03-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Ok i got my ex used, it has the white bros e series exhaust. How do i pack it and what are the benefits/losses of not packing or packing it

honda400ex2003
03-15-2009, 09:01 PM
To repack it you have to take the exhaust silencer apart and take the old fiber glass out and put new in. Some have rivets holding it together, some have bolts. The t-4 I have has bolts so it took me about a half hour start to finish. I beleive the benefits are supposed to be noise and better performance since it gets the gases out more efficiently. I can't really tell since I have just done mine and it is running so rich with the air box cover on it that it sputters and all. It was jetted for summer with it off so to get it close for winter I just put it on. It works until it is about 30 degrees. when it was below zero it ran great since it was rich enough. Anyone else any info on if the packing will work its way down or if I should take it apart and try it again. I want it to work good and work right. thanks for all your help guys, steve

buck440
03-15-2009, 11:45 PM
my hmf ballance has rivits and i said screw that and took it to the shop and had them do it for me for $35 i think if your ever fed up with what your doing just always pay someone else to fix it.:blah:

dunatic
03-16-2009, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
Before I pulled out the above pic from my Big Gun, it was WAY too loud.
I didn't have any repacking material that day, so stuffed it w/000 steel wool, flipped the core around backwards to have the burned end at the rear, and it was MUCH quieter.

Next time I was at the parts house, I got some packing material, pulled it back out. I had also ordered a new "Quiet Core" to replace my burned up "Race" core, so it was even quieter yet.

And no noticible loss in performance at all. I'm VERY happy with the Quiet core, and new packing.
BIG difference compared to burned race core and half packing, LOL!!!

Ive used Stainless Steel wool for years. But you gotta pack it tight. Otherwise when the wools gets RED hot and makes it way out to the outer shell of your muffler it will melt rivets

honda400ex2003
03-16-2009, 10:32 PM
I wish could afford to give it to someone to fix it. I'm a college kid who needs gas to get home and ride:devil: I get to change oil on 6 vehicles, 4 fourwheelers, a rocket, keep up 2 jetskis, 2 snowmobiles 2 boats and mowers. if I took the,m all in I would never have any of it. My parents own a resort with 3 cabins so I get to work on 4 houses too. It is always fun. I am good with just about anything though. I just keep fixing the crap as it breaks and gets older. Does anyone know if the packing will move its way back or should I just take it apart and try it again? Thanks for all the help guys. Steve

tri5ron
03-16-2009, 10:50 PM
add some more packing, or use steel wool.
your existing packing wont move back much, and it wont be tight enough.

honda400ex2003
03-16-2009, 10:52 PM
sounds good thanks tri. I will pack it again if I dont have any steel wool. I'll get it fixed either way. Steve