PDA

View Full Version : Help ds650 wont start

trooper182
03-15-2009, 05:05 PM
ok so i was out today and everything was great then the ds just died. tried to start it but nothing, the battery is dead (brand new battery) so my buddy tries to pull me and i tried to start it and nothing. so get back to my truck and get the jumper cables out and hooked it up and the ds starts fine but as soon as i take the cable off of the battery it dies. so im thinking stator is bad. any ideas?

trooper182
03-16-2009, 11:21 AM
ok so i got a new battery today. the old battery was holding a charge but only showed 100 cranking amps. put new battery on and ds fired right up. i checked the voltage with reg/rectifier disconected while running and it showed 12.80. i reconected it and it jumped up to 13.8-9 and after i revved it up it jumped to 14.0. turned atv off and voltage dropped to 12.79. turned on again and jumped back up to 13.8. so what would all this mean then? is reg/rectifier good? was it just my battery taking a dump?

DGS
03-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Sounds like you had a dead cell in your old battery... If your rectifier was stuffed, then you wouldnt get a voltage reading increase. I know on the older DS650 i used to race, the stock rectifiers would pack up, so we modified a Traxter 500 rectifier to fit. I would ride it now with the new battery and check the voltage after 1hr of riding. If its below the initial voltage then the rectifier is gone. Also check the wiring on the rectifier, they sometimes break off under the plastic sleeve...

Let us know if u get it sorted...

trooper182
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
yea i put the batt on at lunch today and when i left it was reading 12.76. got home and was reading 12.75 so started it up and it was reading 14.01 at idle. checked it again 1 hour later and was reading 14.08 at idle. rev it up and it jumps to 14.11. turned on fan and lights and dropped down to 13.96. so yea im thinking it was the battery too. when i first got the ds the batt was dead so i had it charged and took it out for 3 hrs and it did fine. this last time i went out i was doing a lot of jumps. must of knocked something loose.

im going to go out and ride this fri since i have the day off for a training holiday (in the army) so hope it will hold up. ill let everybody know