PDA

View Full Version : Bubbles in oil

Jkaw
03-15-2009, 02:52 PM
06 KFX 400. I have tiny bubbles in my motor oil. The oil level is fine and I haven't noticed any performance issues. The coolant level in the res tank does drop slightly after each ride. I saw a post on this site that said there may have been a recall on 06 waterpumps( I didnt receive a recall notice). Could the waterpump be the issue? Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone confim a waterpump recall on 06's?

kawiracerj
03-16-2009, 06:24 PM
change your oil and check it for water.1st thing i would do.just m.o.

Jkaw
03-16-2009, 07:30 PM
How do I check it for water? What do I look for?
If it is water, is the water pump the likely cause? Thank you for your help

PLCracing
03-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Your '06 probably had the magnesium clutch cover like my '05. Get it checked! Mine ran fine, until it "didn't", ran hot one day. My extended warranty was still good but suzuki denied it saying it was neglect for not changing clutch cover. Checked my oil daily like they recommended, never did get milky or bubbly but damage was severe. They quoted $2100 to fix, I'll fix it myself! The cover corroded where the water pump goes through, letting coolant contaminate oil. Loosen up your water pump and check behind o-ring. If it's starting to corrode you'd better replace it. suzuki had a bulletin so if you take it to the dealer they should replace the cover for you at no cost. Good luck!

PLCracing
03-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Forgot to specify, it's a clutch cover recall, not the waterpump. The Kaw will be the same as the suzuki. Search ltz400 clutch cover recall and it should pull up the bulletin for you. They're calling it a customer satisfaction program, not a recall, so if you contact them, yeah they'll address it, but not being a recall they're not actively contacting owners. Thier "shady" way of getting around it. Only '05 and '06 models were affected.

Jkaw
03-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Yeah, I know about the clutch cover recall and actually had mine replaced in 2006, just a few months after I bought it. I was wondering if there was a seperate recall on the waterpump. Thanks for the tip on checking behind the waterpump. I'll do that.

quad97
03-17-2009, 03:18 PM
change the oil without starting the motor and catch the first oil that comes out in a clear cup or bottom of a water bottle. You should be able to see any water or antifreeze in the container.