PDA

View Full Version : Kill/Tether Switch

racerdan24
03-15-2009, 08:46 AM
hey guys...Did a serch on this and could not get a real straight answer....Here is the deal...2008 400EX.

What type of kill/tether switch do i need...Open or Closed???

and what one do you guys recommend as well as the easiest to install?

Pro Armour?

http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/PRO-ARMOR-PRO-SERIES-KILL-SWITCH/?catalogId=110310&words=kill+switch&srchHistoryURL=0zr53bq3||words~kill%20switch^paren tCategoryID~category_root^categoryID~264^categoryN ame~ATV

http://atv.parts-unlimited.com/6/186/6398530

Pro Design?

http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/PRO-DESIGN-KILL-SWITCH/?catalogId=108516&words=kill+switch&srchHistoryURL=dqkbfitr||words~kill%20switch^paren tCategoryID~category_root^categoryID~264^categoryN ame~ATV

Tusk?

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=78&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&prodFamilyId=9298

I need this ASAP as i will be heading to Mototown and is reguired as well as Unadilla in June.Thanks for all and any info. I hate electrical stuff and just want to get the right one the FIRST time.

03-15-2009, 09:02 AM
I have pro armor, easy to install I tapped right into the factory kill and ground wire lines

buster024
03-15-2009, 09:54 AM
I have a Pro Armour as well. Reasonably easy to install. I'm not sure what the open/closed thing is you are referring to, but I know the Pro Armour works (at least on an '05).

03-15-2009, 09:57 AM
the open/closed if you buy a model specific you wont have a problem.

Honda#4
03-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I have pro armor, easy to install I tapped right into the factory kill and ground wire lines

X2

tri5ron
03-15-2009, 10:56 AM
racerdan,
this should answer your question more clearly....

http://pingelonline.com/kill_switches.htm

Ron

racerdan24
03-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
racerdan,
this should answer your question more clearly....

http://pingelonline.com/kill_switches.htm

Ron
Thanks ron

03-15-2009, 06:05 PM
i have the pro design wired into my factory run stop switch, with that whole black box removed...

racerdan24
03-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i have the pro design wired into my factory run stop switch, with that whole black box removed...

Can any of them ( pro design or pro armour ) work with the factory one?

bigd's ex
03-15-2009, 08:07 PM
RacerDan,

Just put a Pro Armor on mine yesterday. It has 2 wire coming out of it, 1 longer than the other. The short wire is the ground and of course it goes to a bare spot on the frame. The long wire I spliced into the black with yellow striped wire that goes into the cdi box that is underneath the hood. I used 18-14awg tap splices. This was the first time I ever used these and they worked great, no need to shave wires, just put the TS over the wires and crimp, then wrap with electrical tape. Took all of 10 minutes to do. The stock kill switch does still work this way. Hope this helps ya out. :macho

honda400ex2003
03-15-2009, 08:16 PM
if you get a normally open one i think and run it to a spot right before the coil there is a quick disconnect there you can tap into. Then you can just ground it out and you don't even have to cut any wires. I mounted mine under the red cover for my handlebars. Mine was actually an artic cat tether switch off a snowmobile. It's a generic type but is is hid nicely. If you look at a wiring diagram i think it is the balck and yellow but I am not sure. It is one that comes from the coil and has a disconnector about 2 inches toward the front of the machine. Oh, and the tusk one that has the bike clamp on it is not a good one ot use. it is normally closed so it needs to be wired differently. It needs to be wired into the kill switch or the main power to cut it when it opens. Good luck, steve

racerdan24
03-15-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
if you get a normally open one i think and run it to a spot right before the coil there is a quick disconnect there you can tap into. Then you can just ground it out and you don't even have to cut any wires. I mounted mine under the red cover for my handlebars. Mine was actually an artic cat tether switch off a snowmobile. It's a generic type but is is hid nicely. If you look at a wiring diagram i think it is the balck and yellow but I am not sure. It is one that comes from the coil and has a disconnector about 2 inches toward the front of the machine. Oh, and the tusk one that has the bike clamp on it is not a good one ot use. it is normally closed so it needs to be wired differently. It needs to be wired into the kill switch or the main power to cut it when it opens. Good luck, steve

Thanks Steve...i wanted one that i did not have to tap into the wiring if i didnt have to and it sounds much easier to go the route of the coil.

racerdan24
03-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by bigd's ex
RacerDan,

Just put a Pro Armor on mine yesterday. It has 2 wire coming out of it, 1 longer than the other. The short wire is the ground and of course it goes to a bare spot on the frame. The long wire I spliced into the black with yellow striped wire that goes into the cdi box that is underneath the hood. I used 18-14awg tap splices. This was the first time I ever used these and they worked great, no need to shave wires, just put the TS over the wires and crimp, then wrap with electrical tape. Took all of 10 minutes to do. The stock kill switch does still work this way. Hope this helps ya out. :macho

Thanks Donnie...I thought the pro armour would work on the 08's even though it really doesnt say.

honda400ex2003
03-15-2009, 09:06 PM
I just did not want to chance the connector going bad that is why I went to where it disconnects to the coil. It will work either place those as long as it is normally open. Good luck those are both good ones and will work great for you. steve

racerdan24
03-16-2009, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
I just did not want to chance the connector going bad that is why I went to where it disconnects to the coil. It will work either place those as long as it is normally open. Good luck those are both good ones and will work great for you. steve
Thanks Steve...as weird as this sounds..my local honda guy wasn't even sure if it was open or closed. So i have held off on getting one but time is ticking for this race in June.

honda400ex2003
03-16-2009, 02:32 PM
i did alot of studying before I out mine in. I looked at the wiring diagram and all trying to find a spot not to cut. There was no way I was doing that. I don't race or anything so i don't use it very ofter. just when I am jumping or if I have to leave it parked somewhere. I will take the tether with me and you can't even see where it connects up to the other part it is hid so it is alittle bit of reassurance i guess against it getting it stolen. If you need any other help let me know, good luck with the install, steve.

rob_990
03-16-2009, 07:15 PM
id get the pro design.i think it looks cleaner.the installation should be the same on both. heres the link i used to put mine on.

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=192238

honda400ex2003
03-19-2009, 09:44 PM
how did it come out? Steve

ngates788
03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by bigd's ex
RacerDan,

i did mine the exact way!