PDA

View Full Version : Setting up for 200 pounds

MtnEX
03-14-2009, 10:20 PM
OK, I ride woods / cross country.

I think I am ready to start setting up better. I think I need to set up softer, and maybe lower.

In the rear, I think my preload is ran most of the way up on the spring. It doesn't look to have many more threads left to let off preload. Up front it looks like I have a lot of adjustment.

I'll have to measure the actual sag and see where I am now. I generally go 30% there and hope for just a little rake... little lower in the rear than the front...

But I have no idea how this chassis likes to be set up.

I was kind of surprised when I realized the front tires are 21's... as I did have in mind that I might have to re-adjust when I get tires.

What size front-to-rear are you guys running when you set up?... Or should I say how much difference in height are you running? 1" 2" 3" ?

Also, if there is anyone out there that runs the rough stuff with a soft setup that is around 200 lbs... some suggestions on where to start with the other adjustments would be nice.

I want to start out by going as soft as possible without loosing my handling. I don't get big air much, and if I were planning to I'd know to stiffen things up. But what I get most of is humps, bumps, ruts, rocks, roots etc...

MtnEX
03-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Oh... and would I for any reason ever need to upgrade the rear shock link?

I need to know prior to skid plate decisions are made.

Like my 400X could have used a GT Thunder rear link, but I had the full PRM skid....

I don't want to run into that again, ya know?

KFX450Rrider490
03-15-2009, 07:27 AM
this should help a little
im 170 and all i ride are trails just like u (rocks roots ect)
and i have my front shocks as soft as possibe and it actually seems to handle better than before and for the rear i have mine 5 clicks off the bottom on bolth ways and i love it

MtnEX
03-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks...

I was starting to think everyone was taking theirs to the MX tracks only.

It sounds like you are almost full soft?

It finally quit raining, so I was going to start setting mine up, but it looks like I will need to go buy a hook wrench for the spring retainers because I didn't find one in my tool kit.

I want to get my sag set before I go messing with the clickers.

k4f5x0r
03-16-2009, 03:55 AM
as for changing the preload. this is a way me and my dad discovered.

knock the top ring loose with a screwdriver and a hammer. then twist the bottom shock to wherever you want. then tighten the top ring against it. very simple and very effective. ;)