PDA

View Full Version : Can't Turn!! Need Help!!

Outlaw212
03-14-2009, 06:19 PM
I just got home from a hare scramble today in the North Carolina mountains. Very tight trails, tough hill climbs, a 1 mile MX track and lots of mud. Should have been a great race but I had a serious problem...

I COULDN'T TURN!!!!!!!!!!!

I ride an '08 Outlaw 525 IRS and I know the IRS pushes through the turns. I expect that and I have won several races on this quad so the normal pushing is not what I am complaining about.

Today it was different. For those who don't know, the mud in the mountains is slick as glass. I have seen ice with more bite than this stuff! I would turn the bars and the quad would go straight. The front wheels would never get any grip while the back wheels had incredible grip and just shoved me all over the track. I had to ride about two miles of the course in first gear because at speed it was too dangerous. Not going to win riding like that.

I am a bigger guy (about 250) so there is already a good deal of weight on the back of the quad. If I tighten the preload on the rear shocks and loosen the preload on the front will that solve the problem? I don't want to loose much stiffness in the suspension because it handles the landings so well.

Any help would be appreciated.

To make matters worse, I should have won today with no problem. I have beaten all of these guys before but today I came in dead last. It was painful.

:grr: :grr: :grr:

Outlaw 50
03-15-2009, 08:41 AM
Tires........what are you running on the front?......Maxxis Razr 2s are very good for the front of the quad.......ITP GNCCs are also a good choice.

Weight........where are you sitting on the seat?.......the farther forward you place your body weight the easier it will be to slide the rear and steer the front of the quad.........I spend a great deal of time on the front edge of the seat where it hits the gas tank when the ground is loose.

Shock set-up.....are your shocks/springs set up to keep the front and rear of the quad even when you are on the quad?....A little more tension on the rear springs will help with weight transfer towards the front of the quad.

All of these things should be helpful with making the quad turn better.....good luck!

the Z Man
03-15-2009, 09:17 AM
What he said,,,
Also, ice is very different to ride on let alone race, I got beat by a 4x4 in my last race, I would spin and he went right around me...:(

Outlaw212
03-15-2009, 10:33 AM
The quad is a stock '08 Outlaw 525 IRS.

The tires are Razr R.

As far as shifting my weight, I was all over the quad through out the race. I tried everything with only small results. You can't run the whole race laying over the handlebars!

When you say set up the shocks, I assume you are talking about the preload springs. If I tighten the rear and loosen the front will that help? Is there a correct approach to this process or is it just trial and error and finding what works for you?

Thanks for everyone's help. I was REALLY frustrated yesterday.

coryatver
03-15-2009, 10:42 AM
get some razr 2 front tires or gbc x-rex front tires they are the same thing. Front tires make a huge difference. Razr R are same as regular razr tires the fronts are not agressive enough for racing.

Not sure on IRS but on solid axle quads the front end should be 1/4 inch higher than the rear in the ride height measured 22 inches from the footpegs and at the footpegs with the rider sitting on the quad. I have no idea if that works for IRS set up also though.

GE4x4
03-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Like others have said, it's your tires. The stock Razr R are good on hard pack, but are really bad in greasy or mud conditions. They just don't have any bite. Plus it sounds like you got some good race time on the stockers, so I'm sure the tread is getting low.