PDA

View Full Version : Bad Fuel Economy

Luke22
03-14-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey guys heres my problem im lucky to get about 45 miles to a tank of gas. My fourwheelers completly stock its an 88. But today i got bored and took a look at the reeds and on the intake boot between the carb and the air filter it was all wet with gas and i got new reeds on the way the old ones were starting to crack. Would that be some of the cause to why the fuel mileage is so bad. The carb just got rebuild last summer but its been this way since ive had it. Thanks for any help you can offer its appreciated

Honda 250r 001
03-14-2009, 05:53 PM
yes that would hurt your fuel milage but not that much. what are your jets.

05LSR250R
03-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Could your float needle valve be worn out and overflowing fuel while you ride?
Does the bowl over flow when sittin?

Luke22
03-14-2009, 08:29 PM
I think the main is a 158 id have to check to make sure and the jets on the 3rd groove. I just followed the manufactures recomendations for now. Ill play with the jetting more this summer. Ive had it for almost a year now and have never noticed any gas leaking out of anywheres but is there an easy way to check to see if the floats are sitting right. thanks so far for the help

05LSR250R
03-14-2009, 09:43 PM
Float height should be around 16mm. However, if the seat or float needle valve are worn it will still leak.
Leave the gas on and jump up and down and rock side to side to see if it might be leaking while riding.

Aceman
03-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by 05LSR250R
Float height should be around 16mm. However, if the seat or float needle valve are worn it will still leak.
Leave the gas on and jump up and down and rock side to side to see if it might be leaking while riding.

I think he'd be better served taking the carb apart and checking the floats rather than bouncing around and looking for an overflow. It never hurts to take the carb apart to clean it and blow it out, while checking for possible float problems.

It sounds like he needs to get a manual...

Forgot to mention, once the carb is squared away and your reeds are checked, a clean air filter followed by proper jetting would probably be your next biggest factors affecting fuel mileage.

05LSR250R
03-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Aceman
I think he'd be better served taking the carb apart and checking the floats rather than bouncing around and looking for an overflow. It never hurts to take the carb apart to clean it and blow it out, while checking for possible float problems.

It sounds like he needs to get a manual...

Forgot to mention, once the carb is squared away and your reeds are checked, a clean air filter followed by proper jetting would probably be your next biggest factors affecting fuel mileage.

Agreed!