PDA

View Full Version : who has a stage 1 cam? how do u like it?

Dathon Lawler
03-14-2009, 10:44 AM
i personally have a two but was not impressed. i thought it would give me just a little more than what i got. i was thinking...maybe i should have gone with the stage one and gone up a tooth or two in the front sprocket. that would compensate everything. has anyone tried this? please stage 2 holders don't respond. we are a dime a dozen. i haven't met a single person with a 1. but that's not on the internet. so i thought i would bring my thoughts here.

droppedmazda
03-14-2009, 01:28 PM
i have astage one a i love it, it picked quite a bit of bottom end so id say u could go up a tooth in the front if u wanted to.

xDeeVy465x
03-14-2009, 01:39 PM
You live in indy too, let's ride. lol:huh

tri5ron
03-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Dathon,
No cam mod here yet, But I will definately be going with a stage 1,(or similar), and not a stage 2.
I ride trails, rocks, and desert, no stadium/track/ racing, so I'm looking for more torque, rather than more top end.

I realize that simply dropping to a 13t will do that for me, but at the same time, I don't really want to lose any of the top end that I currently have.

so the stage 1 cam makes more sense.

I am also considering going to 21" rear tires, over the stock 19", to gain another inch of clearance in the tail, (remember all those rocks) :D

after I go to the 21" tires, and the resulting higher ratio due to the tires, the 13t sprocket should be a cheap and easy way to compensate it.

I have'nt crunched all the numbers, and ratio's yet, but will be doing that in the near future.

I will first be comparing various cams for their lifts and durations, and their accompanying dyno graphs, but from what little reasearch I HAVE done, so far I'm liking Curtis Sparks cam and rockers the best.

Second I will be comparing stok gearing/tire size to the increased circumference of the 21's, and therefore the resulting higher ratio, compared to the same 21's with a 13t front sprocket.

My objective will be to finish with 1" extra clearance at the swinger, as well as increased torque in the bottom to mid range, and hopefully no loss of current top end speed.

all the while staying at the stock bore and compression,
(I.E.- maintaining the stock reliability).

If I DO, end up losing some of that targeted performance, then I'm figuring that a 450r carb, and one of ZRPILOTS adapters, will top it all off nicely.

Now, off to the calculator I go....
I've got some numbers to crunch.

shawn3389
03-14-2009, 05:20 PM
i got a stg1 and love it i am goin to change my front sprocket back to stock it is down 1 now and its got alot of bottom end:devil:

03-14-2009, 05:43 PM
stage 1 is great all around, it doesnt just give low end it has a lot more up top compared to stock. Mid range hits hard!

shawn3389
03-14-2009, 05:52 PM
yeah i just got mine in a few days ago and have run it to hard yet but i will see tomorrow:D

honda400ex2003
03-19-2009, 10:30 PM
I gained quite a bit low and a on mid with a bit top. I only have 10:1 so it is not quite what some guys see but it still rips compared to the stock one. My buddy has a stock one with a 14 tooth and I spank him bad. I wish. I love the stage one though. Steve

Pipeless416
03-19-2009, 10:49 PM
to the original poster, are you running a stock piston? if not, what compression ratio are you running? a stage 2 can actually hurt performance with a stock compression piston. the stage 2 gave a nice boost everywhere in my powerband.. i couldn't take much more low end without standing it up everywhere.

shawn3389
03-20-2009, 05:39 AM
well had mine out the other day and it rips had to change my gearing a bit....15/36 to keep the front down a bit