PDA

View Full Version : squeaky swingarm?? and mx link question?

trailrider894
03-13-2009, 10:07 PM
i have a very squeaky swingarm . what could be causing this?? should i take it off and grease it replace the bearings?? or does it have bushing?? and install some grease fittings?? and i'm getting a new stock rear shock and need new linkage i'm wondering about the gt thunder links?? has anyone had them?? what do they gain you? pros-cons? thankx

Gibson
03-14-2009, 04:53 PM
it sounds like your swingarm bearings might be going bad, i'd take the swingarm off and check them, if they have rust on them go ahead and replace them. If you put grease fittings at the pivot, you're bearings last longer. here's how i did mine.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk34/crg10493/100_1034.jpg

I have the GTT XC link and love it, i have way more travel than i did with the stock linkage and it is alot smoother. I suggest you get a GTT linkage. What type of riding do you do?

motox92
03-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Did you spray paint that??

Gibson
03-14-2009, 08:06 PM
yea i sprayed it, i cant afford PC, but it had dust all over it when i took the pic, there wasnt any scratches in the paint. i think i did pretty good to have done it with a rattle can:D

motox92
03-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Does not look bad at all...once i do my carrier bearings i will paint mine

Dathon Lawler
03-15-2009, 11:56 AM
gibson, i have thought of that a million times but never got around to doing it. great minds think alike. i think it would be safe for me to assume in the past you have had some issues taking out the swingarm bolt? great minds think alike. i am just wondering how effective it really is. how long have your bearings lasted you so far. i would think they would naturally last about 5 years.....of hard riding and serious power washing.

Gibson
03-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Dathon Lawler
gibson, i have thought of that a million times but never got around to doing it. great minds think alike. i think it would be safe for me to assume in the past you have had some issues taking out the swingarm bolt? great minds think alike. i am just wondering how effective it really is. how long have your bearings lasted you so far. i would think they would naturally last about 5 years.....of hard riding and serious power washing.

so far they've lasted a year, i only have to grease them two or three times a year.

Dathon Lawler
03-17-2009, 01:24 PM
sounds good. i just installed new bearings. man what a b**ch. i am glad that is over with. luckily where i work we have a press. this is the second time taking out the bolt. i lubed it one day and came back to work on it the next. pb blast couple swift blows with a sledge. this time i used anti-seize. i'll pull it out mid way through the season check them out and if it looks like they are going down hill, then i'll install the zerks.