PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Scrambler 90? Lots of questions.

dave5.0
03-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Bought a little pile of a scrambler for my son. Doesn't run. supposed to be a 90. Anybody know how to tell the difference between a 90 and a 50? I finally jumpered around enough bad safety devices that I got it to spark. Felt decent as far as compression. Cleaned up the carb and checked the reeds. Ok. Flywheel and stator look new. Didn't take much to get the flywheel off with my puller. Once I pulled the stator out I could see the crank seal sitting on the crank. It was out of the cases. No wonder it wont start. I kicked it over a few times and watched the end of the crank and it looks like it's bent. Explains why the seal is dangling there. Any suggestions? I've got $250 in the little bike. Do I need to cut my losses or is it worth rebuilding? What's all this stuff cost, crank, gaskets all that stuff. I think it has a pipe and maybe an intake/carb on it. I took some pics if someone can use them to help me identify this little heap. Thanks in advance for any help.
Dave

JAG Motosports
03-13-2009, 09:34 PM
Ya have to wonder how the crank got bent so bad that you can see it. You sure it's not the bearings? Is the crank loose? You need to post some pics of the quad for the " is it worth it factor".

dave5.0
03-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Working on it right now.

dave5.0
03-13-2009, 09:54 PM
This is what it looked like before I took it all apart. Need closer pics of pieces or the engine? the story I got was whoever the brain trust was the change the flywheel didn't have a puller. God only knows what they used to get it off. It's not bent real bad, bit not sure why else the seal would be laying there like it is.

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo32/davemustang50/DSC00087.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo32/davemustang50/DSC00088-3.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo32/davemustang50/DSC00089.jpg
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo32/davemustang50/DSC00090.jpg

JAG Motosports
03-13-2009, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't throw alot of money at it. I've seen nice bikes in the sale section for a grand. A crank is alittle over $100 and you will need base and head gasket,bearings and new seals. Before I did anything I would check it over real good...variator, clutch, compression check, etc... The problem is it will all add up.

dave5.0
03-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Well I bought some front wheels, extended axle, and a hydraulic rear brake kit for it the other day. It'll be like my Banshee I guess. Bought it cheap and years later it's a money pit that's worth a quarter what I've put into it. It's a blast though. I guess I'll keep digging into it and see what else I can find. I just sold his 50 a little while ago so we have a little toy fund money to throw at it. I guess I would dump it if I could come up with a duel A-arm quad for cheap, but I don't see that happening.
Any idea where I could punch the VIN into and see if it is in fact a 90? Any other tells that set it apart from a 50?

JAG Motosports
03-14-2009, 06:19 AM
Just check the bore and stroke.

dwhst9
03-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by JAG Motosports
Just check the bore and stroke.

Yup, that's the only way that I know of. When brand new, the 50s had smaller tires than the 90s, but everything else was the same (other than bore/stroke).

dave5.0
03-14-2009, 08:36 AM
I think it's gonna get parted. We are looking at E-tons and other stuff the parts will interchange on at the moment. We're going to buy something else the parts that I just bought will fit on.

03-14-2009, 08:50 AM
WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR IT? i LIVE IN INDIANA.

dave5.0
03-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by tgcheeseman
WHAT DO YOU WANT FOR IT? i LIVE IN INDIANA.

Not sure yet. I kinda want to get him something else before I move this. I might want to steal some parts of it. Pipe, rear wheels, That stuff. If I do that I'd probably have stuff to put back on it though. I've got a bunch of feelers out but nothing came back yet.

03-14-2009, 09:20 AM
sent you pm

dave5.0
03-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Pretty sure I'm going to part it out or swap it for some other parts. We just picked up a '05 Viper so I might be looking for some parts. Maybe some extended front control arms, paddle tires and rims, and a set of alum 8" rear rims.