View Full Version : bearing carrier snap ring help

nakomis0
12-27-2002, 01:57 PM
Any help for getting that snap ring (that holds the bearing carrier into the swingarm) back into place.

I know they have a snap ring tool, but the local hardware shop wants 25$.

Any tips or tricks?

tprender
12-27-2002, 02:10 PM
If you have some good needle nosed vice grips, I have done it with one pair before. Hook one end over the carrier and having the vicegrips on the other end try to pull it open and at the same time push it on. I was able to do this some times and other times it didn't work. After doing that for a few years i finialy got a good pair of snap ring pliers that work. Best of luck.

CHAR250R
12-27-2002, 02:14 PM
The needle nose trick will work OK. Pick up a good set of snap ring pliers at Sears. You won't regret it. You won't use them alot, but when you need them, you'll be glad you have them.

nakomis0
12-27-2002, 04:58 PM
I have needle nose pliers and visegrips. I'll go play with it, one more time, see if I can get that bugger on. If not...

I'm going to go to Sears then and get the tool. They'll be cheaper than this crappy local hardware store.

Sometimes I hate to buy a tool that i'm not going to use very often, but then again its always nice to have the right tool for the job.

12-27-2002, 05:20 PM
tools are never a waste ,& craftsman are even better..take your time ..you can do it ..

toby400ex
12-27-2002, 06:35 PM
tools are always good, but i dont like standaerd sizes, the confuze me.:huh

12-27-2002, 07:18 PM
or you could get snap-on ones for like 100 dollars:huh .. the snap-on mans alway trying to rip me off:grr