PDA

View Full Version : Choose a brand new quad

sykoz
03-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Well ive checked around in my city at some atv shops and ive finished with those price ( all prices are in canadians dollars )

2009 yfz450r 11,687$
2009 ltr450r 10,836$
2009 ds450Xmx 11,371$
2008 450r 9,400$

So if you noticed the first three are all with fuel injection... i was wondering if it worth it to pay that much more to get the fuel injection or i should go with the honda2008 or maybe any other brand new 2008 that haven't been sold.

Waiting for you opinions.

Note that im not a pro rider, ive started with a raptor last year and now i wanna try to do some track so thats why i need a 450.

Warnerade
03-13-2009, 03:22 PM
I'd go with a can am or lt-r personally...you cant go wrong with hondas either, its gonna come down to personal preference. Ride your buddies (if possible) and see which one ya like best.

ex. I can haul on my lt-r's but i cant ride a honda for crap because i just dont feel comfortable on it.

sykoz
03-13-2009, 04:10 PM
thanks , but i was kinda more wondering if it worth it to pay that much for the fuel injection or i should pick up a 2008 ( any brand ) for cheaper without fuel injection?

03-13-2009, 04:17 PM
honda. u cant go wrong. i have alwase rode a honda. never had problems out of them. i would pay less for the honda and then have a little extra to mod it. lol

Warnerade
03-13-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by sykoz
thanks , but i was kinda more wondering if it worth it to pay that much for the fuel injection or i should pick up a 2008 ( any brand ) for cheaper without fuel injection? if its what you feel comfortable sitting on, no matter what you buy is worth it.

BlaineKaiser450
03-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Warnerade
I can haul on my lt-r's but i cant ride a honda for crap because i just dont feel comfortable on it. The exact opposite with me. Its all how the bike feels. All the bikes are great. Its baisiclly pick a color

yamahaman623
03-13-2009, 04:30 PM
some people say that you can get more hp out of a carb than a efi. but the fuel injection is supposed to have better response but im not sure all ive ridden is a carberator atv. but if you like the yfzr but want a cheaper one get the regular yfz

03-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by sykoz
Well ive checked around in my city at some atv shops and ive finished with those price ( all prices are in canadians dollars )

2009 yfz450r 11,687$
2009 ltr450r 10,836$
2009 ds450Xmx 11,371$
2008 450r 9,400$

So if you noticed the first three are all with fuel injection... i was wondering if it worth it to pay that much more to get the fuel injection or i should go with the honda2008 or maybe any other brand new 2008 that haven't been sold.

Waiting for you opinions.

Note that im not a pro rider, ive started with a raptor last year and now i wanna try to do some track so thats why i need a 450.
id say the honda or yamaha i read in dirtwheels[not the greatest source] but they sai it ws ridicoulusly hard to change the ds450s oil but it is a beast id say and older used 450r or yfz450 so its got all the goods on it and it dosent look to beat on

ProspectorJim
03-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by mxcowboy
id say the honda or yamaha i read in dirtwheels[not the greatest source] but they sai it ws ridicoulusly hard to change the ds450s oil but it is a beast id say and older used 450r or yfz450 so its got all the goods on it and it dosent look to beat on

yes its rediculously hard to take out 2 whole bolts from underneath the quad to drain the oil, then take two more bolts out to change the oil filter and fill it back up. My raptor was harder to change the oil and oil filter with that plastic skid plate in the way.

MX450
03-13-2009, 07:23 PM
I say get a honda kicker, great bikes, easy to work on and its a honda! of course like others have said it also depends on what you are comfortable on. Fuel injection is overrated IMO. I love my honda havnt had any problems with it.

Im not sold on those Canams... i mean, i deff have respect for a company that is doing so much for the MX scene, but those bikes just look like junk to me. I just dont like how its built, some stuff just doesnt make since to me on it.

xrxmxcx
03-13-2009, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by MX450
I say get a honda kicker, great bikes, easy to work on and its a honda! of course like others have said it also depends on what you are comfortable on. Fuel injection is overrated IMO. I love my honda havnt had any problems with it.

Im not sold on those Canams... i mean, i deff have respect for a company that is doing so much for the MX scene, but those bikes just look like junk to me. I just dont like how its built, some stuff just doesnt make since to me on it.

I'd like to hear a little more on why these quads are junk? I've been going through my bike for the last two weeks prepping it for 2009, and have been extremely impressed with the design/craftsmanship that BRP has put into this product. I will admit it has it's flaws, and as I build this bike back up it will have those addressed, but other than the few weak points this ATV has I am really confident in its potential.

RATPACK Z400
03-15-2009, 01:09 PM
One of the first three IS the best choice the honda WILL cost ALOT more to mod first you will need a front end thats 2-3 grand depends on brand then $1500-2000 for rear end ,steering stem 200,tireand rims 500, gussets and pc 500( needs more gussets than most out of all the quads) , etc,etc. hondas aren,t bad quads there not built wide,tough for racing mx.IMO maybe next year honda will improve there quads (yeah right).

Warnerade
03-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
One of the first three IS the best choice the honda WILL cost ALOT more to mod first you will need a front end thats 2-3 grand depends on brand then $1500-2000 for rear end ,steering stem 200,tireand rims 500, gussets and pc 500( needs more gussets than most out of all the quads) , etc,etc. hondas aren,t bad quads there not built wide,tough for racing mx.IMO maybe next year honda will improve there quads (yeah right). are you kidding me? apperantly you've never done a complete ground up rebuild on a suzuki haha...those OEM parts cost an arm and a leg compared to any other company, definately the only downfall lol.

Originally posted by xrxmxcx
I'd like to hear a little more on why these quads are junk? I've been going through my bike for the last two weeks prepping it for 2009, and have been extremely impressed with the design/craftsmanship that BRP has put into this product. I will admit it has it's flaws, and as I build this bike back up it will have those addressed, but other than the few weak points this ATV has I am really confident in its potential. are you racing nationals?

motofreak2772
03-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Id say get the suzuki. Unless you plan on modding out your quad anyways, in that case get the honda. But if you want to get a quad and do as little work on it as possible to take it to the track the suzuki would be better. A stock suzuki will probably feel more confortable than a stock honda too.

whitebros400
03-15-2009, 02:22 PM
This is just my opinion.
When i first got to ride a ltr which was through some sandy whoops. That thing rode like crap to me. I liked being low and getting completely sideways on a turn. The motor was good. But IMO i would much rather ride a honda 450. Just pick the one that feels more comfortable to you.
Thats just my 2 cents

k4f5x0r
03-15-2009, 02:35 PM
wow complete opposite to the guy above me.

stock 450r handles like ****. simple and straight. it sits high, it doesnt handle all that fabulous stock. and its WAY more tipsy then a stock ltr450. i give the motor mega props though. makes very nice power. my friend has a LSR/fox trx and although i havent ridden it he haulls @ss on that thing.

ltr450. handled amazing stock. was pretty heavy feeling in the air but thats compared to my stock width kfx.

power delivery on both of these seemed pretty similar.

if your gunna go cheap route- go honda. lots of part availability simple and all of that.

race ready- KTM DS or LTR.
if your gunna build it- KFX- TRX- anything you want really

BTW just MY OPINION. noone get offended :)

whitebros400
03-15-2009, 02:38 PM
How does the kfx feel to the trx. I've always wanted to ride one

k4f5x0r
03-15-2009, 03:07 PM
ill try not to be biased LOL.

kfx has a more of a hit in the motor. i love it but some guys dont like that. i love the way it handles in the air. goes where you want to, whips easy, and is easy to level out. i love how i can rip through a turn leaning back and to the side without having to worry about wheeling like on the trx. the trx is just a wheelie machine :scary:

trx. ive only ridden it in a sand mine. so this might not be the greatest comparison. it gets great traction, and wheelies like a monster. it has nice even smooth power. i have NO complains about the motor besides carbueration. i just dont like carbs.
the handling could be ALOT better. it felt like it wanted to tip at all times for sliding,cornering or anything. the stock shocks werent impressive at all. compared to my stockers atleast.

Both quads were stock width,suspension, 20 inch tires. he had hrc cam header slip on and a rev box. my quad just had a power commander and a ESR full exhaust at the time. so obviously he had more power.

To be honest i was very close to buynig a 05 trx 450. he wanted 3500 and it had some goods. but me and my dad decided we would rather spend 3 grand more and have a brand new quad with aluminum frame EFI and reverse... worth every penny :)

madskrillz2
03-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
I'd like to hear a little more on why these quads are junk? I've been going through my bike for the last two weeks prepping it for 2009, and have been extremely impressed with the design/craftsmanship that BRP has put into this product. I will admit it has it's flaws, and as I build this bike back up it will have those addressed, but other than the few weak points this ATV has I am really confident in its potential.

I don't think he literally meant they are. I think he's just saying they look that way. I'll admit myself that they ain't pretty, but I haven't heard of many problems. Only thing I've seen/heard is the overheating and a couple frame incidents. (which about every quad has some sort of frame issue)

As for which quad to get, I'd say LTR just because I'm so used to mine. It's what I've been riding the last 3 years so I'm super comfortable on it. It didn't take me long to get used to it either. I don't think I could ride a Honda because they feel too "long" in a sense. Hah, that's probably because I'm so used to riding a LTR which almost everybody claims is like riding a power wheels.

RaptorRacer45
03-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Raptor's fine:D

lol na seriously itll come down to comfort, sit on em and even ride em all if ya can and make your choice from there

03-15-2009, 07:16 PM
If you want it MX ready no future mods really planned for big spending get the LTR. It already has the wheels, tires, and width for MX without being high priced like the now "true MX ready". If you want to customize to a style of riding get the TRX, the cheaper price will allow you to make it however you want. If you have the cash to spend and want something already done for serious racing I say DS450 or KTM450.

BLU82
03-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Kawasaki and Honda are the way to go in my mind. I've ridden most 450s and the Kawasaki was the most comfortable to me, the honda was second. And by comfortable I mean liked the most.

madskrillz2
03-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by BLU82
Kawasaki and Honda are the way to go in my mind. I've ridden most 450s and the Kawasaki was the most comfortable to me, the honda was second. And by comfortable I mean liked the most.

Yeah I've been hearing the Kawasaki has the best ergos it's just getting any kind of HP out of em is the problem.

250Renvy
03-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I didn't read everybody's posts, but have you considered 2 things:

1. Buy it in the U.S. - it's way cheaper

2. KTM 450 SX or XC? Better value there and it doesn't have FI, but at least has a chromoly frame.

SRH
03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
i go with the yamaha , reliable almost as easy to work on as a honda

2nd choice suzuki

3rd honda

then kawi

then can am

thats just me

DEAL
03-15-2009, 11:43 PM
suzuki , new yamaha or ktm would my 3 choices ..

sykoz
03-16-2009, 07:14 AM
First thanks for all the answers! i really appreciate. Now the yahama dealer called me back so theres another option

2009 yfz450 for 9935 ( its not the 450r )

what do u guys think about it ?

Quad18star
03-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy

1. Buy it in the U.S. - it's way cheaper

Not when you're paying 30 cents more on the dollar it isn't. Plus you'll still have to pay duty, licensing , tax on the machine. In most cases it works out to be cheaper buying in Canada.

Now if you would have mentioned this a year ago when our Canadian dollar was worth more than the USA dollar, my response would be different ... right now though it's just not worth it.

Personally I like a carburated vehicle .. simply because they are easier to work on. I can tear apart a carb and replace things myself when needed ... I can't say the same about anything fuel injected.

If you look around, there's a lot of good deals on used stuff. To give you an example, a couple years back I sold my year old YFZ450 for $5000 less than I paid for it and the bike was mint .. ridden maybe 10 times . Mint to the point you could eat off the frame and not a scratch on the frame. The guy that bought it got a steal of a deal .. I sold it cause I couldn't use it anymore. So keep your eyes peeled for a great used deal kicking around.

BLU82
03-16-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by madskrillz2
Yeah I've been hearing the Kawasaki has the best ergos it's just getting any kind of HP out of em is the problem.
You can get hp out of them just like any other 450. As long as you get rid of the stock intake. If you add other parts and leave the intake alone you'll be going nowhere. And the gearing is low too, so the top end speed is lacking a bit but that is an easy fix if your looking for more speed.

Bryson#221
03-17-2009, 01:14 PM
H:devil: NDA!!!!!!!!!!!!

250Renvy
03-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Not when you're paying 30 cents more on the dollar it isn't. Plus you'll still have to pay duty, licensing , tax on the machine. In most cases it works out to be cheaper buying in Canada.

Yeah, NO I'm going to have to disagree. Even with the difference it's still 2-3K cheaper. The only machine that is actually cheaper is the KTM.

Sykoz - Are you going to finance the machine or buy straight up? Are you going to race it or just play ride it? How far from the border do you live?

Some factors to consider:
2009 hondas come with a 1 year warranty. That means you can race it and all motor stuff is covered and you sell it at the end of the year with a rebuild and warranty still.

2006-2009 YFZ450's - not the R are virtually unchanged from year to year so an old stock machine for slightly less is a better buy.

2008 and 2009 KFX450's have FI - as well as reverse and an aluminum frame and are also virtually unchanged from 08 to 09 so a left over would be a better buy - but in the U.S. as the Can MSRP of 11000 is high - I've seen used go for $3500 in decent shape.

titanium68
03-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Brandon Brown has a couple of last years KFX450s for sale.
http://www.quad75.com/
Already race ready. I rode one in Holister and like d the way it felt and handled. It was an easy transition from my Honda.

Quad18star
03-17-2009, 03:37 PM
Yeah, NO I'm going to have to disagree. Even with the difference it's still 2-3K cheaper. The only machine that is actually cheaper is the KTM.

Not sure where you learned math .

Yamaha YFZ 450 approx $7000

$7000 * 1.30 = 9100
$9100 + 13% sales tax ( assuming he lives in Ontario) = 10283
$10283 + $200 at the border for the paper work to transfer to Canada = $10483
$10483 + plates and licensing + recall letter from the Manufacturer ( could add another $100) = $10583

$10583 plus the gas to travel into the USA to buy , plus 72 hour waiting period at the border for the paper work.

Oh AND the manufacturers will not warranty a machine purchased out of country.

So .... take it for what it's worth ... it's cheaper RIGHT NOW to buy in Canada. Like I said , when our dollar was worth more than the greenback ... then it would have been worth it.

250Renvy
03-17-2009, 04:07 PM
I love inflated prices like that so if you want to start the pissing match, I'll still be right.

2009 YFZ450 - $5800 - cause lets face it there is no reason to pay full retail.
2008 YFZ450 - $4999
2007 YFZ450 - $4599

$5800 X 1.27 = $7366 + 13% = $8323 + 205 Riv + Gas + misc = $8750

VS

$9299 + PDI/freight + 13% + gas + misc = $10905

So admittedly there is no warranty but it's only 6 months - so you have to weigh whether it's worth $2000

The greater difference is in the KFX450

$5699 starting in USD + + + = $8500

VS

$10000 CAD +++ = $11500

Warranty aside - it's still cheaper.

k4f5x0r
03-17-2009, 04:09 PM
i got my kfx brand new for 6500.. my friend got his for 4500 BRAND NEW. :macho . although i bought mine a year after it came out and he bought his a month or two ago

Quad18star
03-17-2009, 04:51 PM
I love inflated prices like that so if you want to start the pissing match, I'll still be right.

Since when do you pay full pop on something like you said ... $9299? Shop around and you can find them sitting on dealers floors for about $7400 CDN and you don't have to deal with the Canadian Border Agency ... AND you'll get a warranty.

xrxmxcx
03-17-2009, 06:31 PM
I will hopefully make a couple close to New England, but will be running the full NEATV-MX series. Will be riding Production 450 B, and 16-24.

Originally posted by Warnerade
are you kidding me? apperantly you've never done a complete ground up rebuild on a suzuki haha...those OEM parts cost an arm and a leg compared to any other company, definately the only downfall lol.

are you racing nationals?

xrxmxcx
03-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Yes I admit the frame has two weak points, but over the last year of testing by BRP, Motoworks/Warnert, and the people at ATV Four-play, we have realized that the only weak points in the frame are the mounts for the front suspension that are free floating, but with a couple of aluminum plates that is addressed.

As far as cooling, BRP has seem to address this with the ECU reflash and a few quick modifications.

Originally posted by madskrillz2
I don't think he literally meant they are. I think he's just saying they look that way. I'll admit myself that they ain't pretty, but I haven't heard of many problems. Only thing I've seen/heard is the overheating and a couple frame incidents. (which about every quad has some sort of frame issue)

As for which quad to get, I'd say LTR just because I'm so used to mine. It's what I've been riding the last 3 years so I'm super comfortable on it. It didn't take me long to get used to it either. I don't think I could ride a Honda because they feel too "long" in a sense. Hah, that's probably because I'm so used to riding a LTR which almost everybody claims is like riding a power wheels.

250Renvy
03-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
Since when do you pay full pop on something like you said ... $9299? Shop around and you can find them sitting on dealers floors for about $7400 CDN and you don't have to deal with the Canadian Border Agency ... AND you'll get a warranty.

Apples to apples? $7400 for a 2009? MSRP is $10600 so $9200 is full pop.

I don't know where this guy lives, but until we know, your arguing my point is moot.

So sykoz - help us out, where to you live?

Quad18star
03-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Where are you from 250Renvy? Just curious.

sykoz
03-18-2009, 04:17 AM
im from canada , quebec so ill have to agree with quad18star i think its cheaper if i buy it in canada.

Duke Nukem
03-18-2009, 03:48 PM
TRX:
Power +
Handling -
Suspension =
Fit & feel =
Service +

YFZ:
Power =
Handling +
Suspension +
Fit & feel -
Service =

LTR:
Power -
Handling +
Suspension +
Fit & feel =
Service =

KFX:
Power +
Handling =
Suspension =
Fit & feel =
Service +

Can am:
Power +
Handling =
Suspension +
Fit & feel =
Service -

I've ridden ALL of them long enough to know, but still just my opinion. Get the KFX.;)

Bryson#221
03-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Why is it that every single decent thread I come across, someone has to come out of nowhere and start an argument? It's always a couple pages into the post that there's a verbal throwdown match. To be quite honest, it's getting so old. Don't come on here, out of the blue, and ruin it for the rest of us please.

HOW ABOUT THOSE QUADS, HUH?!?

Duke Nukem
03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Bryson#221
Why is it that every single decent thread I come across, someone has to come out of nowhere and start an argument? It's always a couple pages into the post that there's a verbal throwdown match. To be quite honest, it's getting so old. Don't come on here, out of the blue, and ruin it for the rest of us please.

Um I hope your not directing that post to me:confused:
I just stated my opinion, what's wrong with that?

Bryson#221
03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Duke Nukem
Um I hope your not directing that post to me:confused:
I just stated my opinion, what's wrong with that?

Nooo not you. I'm talking about the people on the previous page arguing back and forth. Or whoEVER started it.

Quad18star
03-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Bryson#221

No argument ... just a discussion about prices. The original thread starter is from Canada, I'm from Canada and 250Renvy is from who knows where. I said it's cheaper to buy in Canada right now ... he said it's not. We compared prices and I asked where he was from since he has a strong opinion that buying in the USA is cheaper right now ... which I disagree with. Seems my opinion and 250Renvys opinion matter to the thread starter .

And my opinion counted more . :blah: ;)