03-13-2009, 12:11 PM
best for the money would be sparks timing key

scuzz
03-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Muffler/filter/jet change

03-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
Muffler/filter/jet change

x2 only because it opens up for any future mods. Then the sparks key and all of the free mods.

Honda#4
03-13-2009, 01:11 PM
I would say suspension, a good set of revalved 450r shocks will improve the handling of the 400 or if you got higher funds a good set of entry level arms and shocks will make you faster on the track as well as the trails.

hypersnyper6947
03-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Honda#4
I would say suspension, a good set of revalved 450r shocks will improve the handling of the 400 or if you got higher funds a good set of entry level arms and shocks will make you faster on the track as well as the trails.

x2

BigLuke
03-13-2009, 01:59 PM
stickers.....they add 5-20hp depending how big they are. j/k

deathcorefan2
03-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by BigLuke
stickers.....they add 5-20hp depending how big they are. j/k

that joke is so played out..

BigLuke
03-13-2009, 02:10 PM
Couldnt help it.

bansheeboyo
03-13-2009, 04:10 PM
yea i got a set of duncan graphics what a diffrence
form 40 hp or there abouts
to dyno proven 300 rwhp:D
cummon seriously guys what u re3comend?

cheetah cubs, strokers ?
?????

hypersnyper6947
03-13-2009, 04:17 PM
If you ride trails i seriously recommend suspension. The stock rear shock is just as good as after-market if you have it re-valved. Im sure C&D or GtThunder can help you out with that. Check in the parts section of this forum i have found +2 arms on there pretty cheap, do that and get some 450 rebuilds or a nice set of front shocks, and you will be faster than most through the trails. Plus a wide bike looks awesome.

You can drop the front sprocket 1 tooth and that will give you some awesome low end grunt. I here good things about the sparks timing advance key. Exhaust is always a good choice, check ebay there is tons of quality used stuff out there for cheap. But like i said before my vote goes to suspension

tri5ron
03-13-2009, 05:25 PM
First off, remember that there is a difference between "Mods" and "Accessories".
Things like, Bumpers, Skidplates, Frame guards, Hand guards, Bars, Wheels, Tires, Scoops, Graphics, etc. are "Accessories".

Since it has'nt been mentioned yet,
first thing I'd recommed is Safety.
A good set of nerf bars, if you don't already have them.

Next, I second the vote for suspension improvements, before engine mods.
(The stock front shocks on a 400EX are commonly reffered to as "Pogo-Sticks", and for good reason).

I changed my front shocks to 450R w/Works triple rates, and trails that I would take in the top of 3rd to the middle of 4th gears, I am now pegged in 5th gear.
(contribute some of that, to also having a good Steering Stabilizer)
and I have yet to get the rear reworked by GTT w/ new link.

Once you've got the suspension to where it can handle more engine power, then pretty much the sky is the limit.
Depending on what you want to do with it, and what style of riding you want to do, will determine which engine mods, and in what order to get them in.

but for basic engine mods, on stock bore/compression,
(while maintaining the proven reliabilty of the 400EX),
then the order would be:
Sparks key, Exhaust, Intake filter and re-jet, cam, 450r carb.

Of course, you can go nuts from there, with bigger bores, higher compression, (at this point you will need/MUST, install HD studs), (and is also recommended to use a larger oil cooler,and/or oil tank), even bigger cams, and if cash is no limit, then go for broke and turbo it!

Basically, the 400EX is one of the most mod-able quads out there, that is only limited to how much you want to spend.

Hope this answers your questions,
and Welcome to the Disease...

BTW- It is a falacy, and misconception, that stickers add any horsepower at all.

But it is a Scientifically Proven Fact,...
that YELLOW 400EX's have 647 more horse power,...
than Red or Black 400EX's !!! :D :D :D

hypersnyper6947
03-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron

BTW- It is a falacy and misconception that stickers add any horsepower.
But it is a Scientifically Proven Fact that,
Yellow 400EX's have 647 more horse power,

So how much do green ones have ?? :D

03-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
But it is a Scientifically Proven Fact that,
Yellow 400EX's have 647 more horse power,

I thought they were just uglier? :D they have more power too? lol

powermadd400ex
03-13-2009, 10:13 PM
^lmao

but suspension is the way to go if you ride hard.
you ride much faster for much longer ;)

tri5ron
03-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
So how much do green ones have ?? :D

I'm not sure.
I don't remember everything that the Scientist's told me,...

but I seem to remember them saying something about the Green one's had ton's more torque, as long as you ran them on Diesel fuel.
LOL!!!

Dathon Lawler
03-14-2009, 10:38 AM
tri5ron really has it right. i got elkas on mine. and i am usually leader of the pack. i have switched up on other people's quads and can't run nearly as fast. i guess the best way to look at mods vs. sups. is yeah your quad can run faster in a straight line but can you rip it through rough terrain without falling off? no. you have to slow down! so do your susp. first. and to the "T" tri5ron was right. get those nerf bars if you haven't already. i can't believe they get by without putting them on from the factory. if you don't, you'll get sucked off one time maybe trash your knee and then you'll get one.
motor stuff......
i have jet, bore, cam, hi com. piston, ex, and i look back at the time and hassle for all of it. and i think. man what i would do to just go back and go all out and buy a slide carb, and an amazing size cam. if i would have went to curtis sparks racing. like a guy told me a long time ago. but i never listened. i would have saved countless gargage hours. get the huge cam. face the rockers. big valves. and buy the carb. the carb is to keep up with the fuel needed. do it all at once and never have to touch the motor again.
i have ridden two quads with stroker cranks and neither one made me as happy as when i ride a 450.
anyhow i plead....elkas. stockers with elkas is fine. you will be able to do so much more.

03-14-2009, 11:43 AM
my vote goes for handling...this includes suspension, bars, nerfs9as long as they have "race pegs")and tires as well as a gripper seat cover...anything that modifies how comfortable you are and modifies how well the machine handles should be number one on the list after protection!!!