PDA

View Full Version : New to the EX, gotta leak!

petersen302
03-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Hey All,

I have an 01 400EX that I traded my Banshee away for (not sure if that was a good idea now). I am new to the four stroke world. Got it out today after installing my new Lexx pipe. I noticed a small leak. It appears to be coming from the bottom of the oil tank, right on the bolt. Is that large rubber piece know for cracking or anything? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks guys!

redteamgo2000
03-13-2009, 11:11 AM
if its the bolt leaking your best bet is just to replace the gasket on it. be sure not to crank it down super tight.

petersen302
03-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Yeah, the overall quad is not in the best shape. But it runs out well. Taking it to my cousins in an hour or so to strip it down and give it some TLC. Won't be able to make it to the honda shop till early next week.

F-16Guy
03-13-2009, 11:38 AM
That rubber piece on the bottom is just a mounting grommet. There is a threaded nipple on the bottom of the tank for the drain bolt, and it slides into that grommet. There should be an aluminum sealing washer on the drain bolt to prevent leaks. Remove the bolt next oil change and check. The nipple on that tank is known to break off where it's welded to the tank body from people over-torquing the bolt, so it may be cracked and leaking from there. If you install a new sealing washer on the tank and it still leaks, you may want to check that next. If the nipple isn't cracked and you fix the leak with a new washer, just be very careful not ot over-torque that drain bolt.

redteamgo2000
03-13-2009, 11:47 AM
yeah thats what im saying it is. someone probably cranked it down tighter because the seal was leaking thinking it would seal. id just get a new seal and try that. dont go much over finger tight maybe 1/4 turn at most just snug it up dont need the smash the seal flat.

Newrider08
03-13-2009, 02:24 PM
I just got a used 2002 and I broke mine of by simply turning the bolt by hand with a wrench, if it has been over tightened it will probably break if you dont fix it.

My advice is that you drain the oil, take the tank off and see whats up. If you just see a small crack you can try some epoxy or something that you can seal the crack with. I personally would take it to a welding shop and have them fix it for you. I had to order a new tank when I broke mine and that is an expensive lesson.

Dathon Lawler
03-13-2009, 11:33 PM
ya, i had the same issue. but mine torqued out the whole petcock. you know how to replace it the expensive way. but i was changing my oil before i left to go to a race. go to "tractor supply" in the nut and bolt section they got this piece that is made up of about an inch and half of rubber with washers on both ends. carriage bolt in the middle. i got a big one......HAD. lol. and i trimmed in with a knife. pop it up in there and start cranking on the nut.......the rubber expands... wala. it's worked for a couple years and a few hair scrambles. hope i was helpfull.