PDA

View Full Version : CRF tranny binding

pro-rider46
03-13-2009, 09:40 AM
okay i finally got a crf 450 service manual, and got everything the way it should be, well. when i start to get the cases tight together, the tranny will begin to bind, and get so tight it wont even turn at all. i think i have the shift forks in right but i am unsure.

can anyone give me a idea what might be causing this. any help is appreciated, havent rode this thing in over six months.

-Steve

HBRIG014
03-13-2009, 02:33 PM
not sure might have to grind the case out some... not real sure on that.

d3ktrix
03-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by HBRIG014
not sure might have to grind the case out some... not real sure on that.

Your never working on my engine :P

Only thing I can think of is 1 of the bearing's aren't pressed in all the way. Did u change any?
Thrust washer in the wrong spot?

Shift forks/drum shouldn't cause any problem unless its between gears, but you would notice that before you put the case together.

HBRIG014
03-13-2009, 05:49 PM
nevermind what i said...lol i was thinking about the flywheel.. when you put the CRF flywheel in... my bad...lol

pro-rider46
03-13-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by d3ktrix
Your never working on my engine :P

Only thing I can think of is 1 of the bearing's aren't pressed in all the way. Did u change any?
Thrust washer in the wrong spot?

Shift forks/drum shouldn't cause any problem unless its between gears, but you would notice that before you put the case together.

well i think its the shift forks now, i dont think i installed it right into the shift drum, cause i pulled the forks out and case went right together without binding or anything, btw i didnt install new bearings.

do you know how to install those forks into the drum? cause i dont think i do, lol

D Bergstrom
03-13-2009, 09:19 PM
If you look at the shift drum, you will see three different "channels" or grooves that the shift forks set in. Each fork must be in its own groove. On one side you have two forks, the other one. If you have just the case half on its side with all the componenets in it (The manual tells you what case half to lay on it side to put all the parts in, right or left, I do not remember which one off the top of my head.), the side with two forks, the bottom fork is in the bottom groove, the top fork is in the top groove. (You must pull up a little to get that top fork in the groove, I am guessing you have two forks in the same groove.) The side with just the one fork should sit in the center groove. Also make sure all the thrust washers are on the right spot.

Doug

pro-rider46
03-13-2009, 09:41 PM
thanks man, i bet i did have 2 forks in the same slot, ill go take a look. and ill report back with my news

pro-rider46
03-13-2009, 10:28 PM
well i did have the forks in the same slot, now i have them in the right slot, and it feels like it is shifting fine. my cases went right together, so now i am going to try to finish this motor tomorrow, and get the motor in the bike. cant wait, and hope all goes well.

thanks again to everyone!