PDA

View Full Version : Widening

03-13-2009, 12:18 AM
As many of you probably know, there is a widening kit on ebay by Diamond J Customs that moves the a-arm and shock mounts to make it wider. I am thinking about buying this...

Has anyone here tried it/have it? If so, how do you like it?

Also, should I go with the +6 or +4.5? I would assume that the wider it is, the better.

Also, is it worth it ($30) to widen the rear 4 inches?

How much of a difference should I expect after I put these on?

Thanks in advance for your help

rob_990
03-13-2009, 05:02 AM
someone on here has one.look back a page or 2 and you should be able to find a big thread about it.

bigbad400
03-13-2009, 09:04 AM
i have the +6 inch diamond j kit and i love it, i got the g-force axle to match up the rear end with the front. i ride trails and dunes mostly and its done nothing but improve ride, im gonna get the 450 shocks soon and then i wont need anything else for my setup. but i love the kit for the price its def. worth it. what will you use for 30$ to widen the rear? wheel spacers? i wouldnt wast your money on those, get a $170 g force axle and a dual row carrier, you money will be so much better spent, and it will stand any abuse you can put to it, the dual row carrier is because anytime you widen it out your stress on each bearing is intensified, so they burn up quick. the stock has 2 bearings and the duals have 4 bearings and they are way better quality bearings. i put new bushings in all the points in the front end too, i love how it feels now.very solid around corners. but still easily slideable plus they just look mean as hell all widened out, right guys!!!!

rideracelivemx7
03-13-2009, 09:26 AM
dont get wheel spacers, will wear outu the splines on the stock axel quick, easier bending, its alot more stress on the axel itself.

03-27-2009, 10:16 PM
I think Ill give them a shot, but should I go with the +6 or +4.5? Cant really go wrong for $180

rlb21chevy
03-27-2009, 10:49 PM
i just rode mine last weekend with the 4.5 kit. i really like it. watch ebay. you can find a better deal on there. i got mine fr 150.00 shipped. if you like to jump then go with the 4.5 kit. the wider you go with this type of kit the more bump steer you will see.

03-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Chevy, did you get the widening and lowering kit? Or just the Widening kit?

rlb21chevy
03-27-2009, 11:46 PM
just widening. i like it. it feels more stable.

03-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Big Bad, and Chevy could you please post a picture of your quad with the widening kit? Im curious to compare the two and would like to see Bigbad's wider rear axle too.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated

rlb21chevy
03-28-2009, 05:57 PM
my quad is not here right now. i will try to remember to take pics when i get it here.

03-29-2009, 12:30 AM
1 word.... CRAP. Your better off going with spacers. Go with CRJ they are the strongest. I ran 1.5's a long time ago and never broke the front end and I jump big.

The closer your A-arms are to each other the better the handling you will have. Whats the kit do? Pushes your arms way out. That's the reason for racing you want skinny frame and long A-arms not long frame and short arms.
Look at the new quads. They have skinny frames and longer A-arms.

For the price of the kit you can find used A-arms for the same price.

rlb21chevy
03-29-2009, 01:35 AM
they are right. you would be better off getting a used set of a-arms. if you dont plan on doing much jumping the kits will work fine though. the problem is if you get a set of used arms and they need heim joints or ball joints then you would be better off buying a new set. the used arms plus heim joints and ball joints would be more than a new set. i went the cheaper way. eliminates the aggravations. also the other guy is right. buy a used axle. spacers are bad news.