PDA

View Full Version : Edelbrock Eichner Carb?

Needmorehp
03-12-2009, 10:42 PM
How do they perform? Does anyone recommend one? If so what mods did you do, and the performance.

Chukkinsod
03-13-2009, 10:10 AM
I love the simplicity of the carb....easy tuning (all flat slide carbs).. Only bad part is that the bolt for adjusting the slide is under the gas tank. Accelerator pump also little tricky. Definate gains in HP, torque and rev (with motor mods). FCR 39 and Lectron a little pricy, but also great carbs.

zrpilot
03-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Needmorehp
How do they perform? Does anyone recommend one? If so what mods did you do, and the performance.

I would have to NOT recommend one. I would use the '04-'05 450R carb instead. Her are my reasons:

1) Price. $170 for a NEW, geunine HONDA 450R carb
2) Sucess. There are hundreds (really!) of others on this board that have used the 450R carb successfully.
3) Help. See above, but ask a question, read the stickys, there is ALOT of help for the 450R carb on the 400EX
4) EASE. IT is an easier carb to work with, IMO.

Here is a link to my 450R carb installation that shows you how, with some pictures!!!!

My 450R carb install (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314423)

Chukkinsod
03-14-2009, 08:06 AM
I would agree with ZR. Many people out there have done this mod with great sucess. And the price is a helluva lot cheaper!

Needmorehp
03-14-2009, 10:16 AM
What kind of mods, to get the 450 carb to work? I mean can I do a cam, exhaust, airfilter, w/stock bore? or do I need to go big bore and porting?

buster024
03-14-2009, 10:19 AM
You don't need any mods to get a bang out of your buck with the 450r carb. I run a stock motor, and was very impressed at the carb upgrade.

**** Read the stickys at the top of the forum. They are long, but will answer EVERYTHING. ******

Sanddraging28
03-14-2009, 03:14 PM
it really depends on what you are looking for out of your bike. i have 400ex's equipped with both carbs. each has its strong points and its not so strong points....price is a big difference and when it comes to finding advice, it may be a little scarce with the eldebrock as not alot of people want to spend the dough for such a pricey carb. but in my opion the my 416 with a eldebrock has better throttle response than it did when a 450r carb was on it. now my 500ex drag bike runs much better with a 450r carb. you are able to POUR fuel like a garden hose if you need to with a 450r. :devil:

if you are just looking to build a trail bike with some decent power i would recommend the 450r carb with a performance air filter. in time i would look into a stage 1 cam and exhaust (either a slip-on, or a full system) i would get a full system. i am a HMF fan, but opions will vary