PDA

View Full Version : Just how bad is this thing?

matt14c
03-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Only found the dirtwheels article on this subject but I have a buddy who has an average raptor and dogs Hondas day. I've only built mx bikes and he couldnt ride on a track to save his life but his famous line is "oh well mine is faster" He has the original 660 like an 04 or 05 I think with high compression piston, full yosh, k&n, and I think that is all the performance stuff. Not sure of his gearing. Factory wheels with holeshots not sure of the size. I had a an 04 450R with cam, full LRD, KN with stock gearing 8in rear wheels with +2 axle and a-arms and in about a 1 mile drag down dirt road he only had me by about 2- 2 1/2 bike lengths and that was like 3 years ago and havent heard the end of it. I guess my question is with a good exhaust and air filter with stock gearing and even tires can this HONDA spank his ***?

He has had more work done since then. A bore not sure what size and a new clutch. As stated above on an mx track or semi aggressive trail i could beat him with a 300ex with pipe and air filter he sucks but all he talks about is dunes and straight lines.

I want a bike in which he wont be able to say another word about Honda. And by not getting crazy with nitrous or turbos or crazy bores.

Backstabber
03-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Its funny how much some of these raptor guys thrive off of drag racing since thats all they can amount to. I have two friends just like that. I raced the 660(st. 1 cam, high compression piston, intake, exhaust, jet kit and added 1 tooth to the front sprocket). We raced very briefly and I was ripping out of the hole by 2 lengths and he wasn't catching. Keep in mind my 700xx is bone stock. The 700R I haven't raced yet but its a fast machine with all the same mods as the 660. I've seen the 700R race the 660 and it pulls by 2 lengths. The 700R guy spent $2G on his motor and he got super sensitive about me saying he should watch out for the xx, haha. This machine is phenominal in the trails. The IRS is truly amazing, any outlaw or xx guy will tell you. I jumped the quad, went through mud and dragged raced it. I truly love this quad. Keep in mind you will have to adjust to the IRS since its a whole new ball game. I came from a 400ex to this machine and after two short rides I'm totally adjusted. Dont listen to dummies on these forums trashing this quad, listen to people ride it. It is AMAZING! My name on youtube is fastfirstgen, I have a few vids up there jumping with a helmet cam. Not the best video but its proof she can fly, haha.:devil:

450rJam
03-15-2009, 01:01 PM
who the heck races for a mile on the road?

no point in bouncing your motor off the rev limiter for 3/4 mile

(but if thats where you need to beat him buy a $20 front sprocket with a couple more teeth than stock)

about the only place the 660 has advantage is top end

sounds like your friend has no skills and the only race he can win is a top speed hold it open like a tard run

no offense

scuzz
03-15-2009, 01:36 PM
I've never been beaten by a 660.

sprayedgt
03-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Neither have I. All the people I know with 660's have blown them up. Now they're all over bores and I still beat them. I've been beat by a few 450r's though. One time it was at least 4 or 5 length's. That freaking thing was crazy fast! The top speed of the 700xx is a little higher than that of the 700r. Some magazine's has clocked it at just over 80 and with an extra tooth over 90! I sure would not want to be going that fast for a drag race unless there was some nice money on the line.

Backstabber
03-15-2009, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't let your friends dick measuring contest push your descision. In the end all these quads are pretty close in a drag stock for stock. Who really wants to sit there all day and drag race anyways? Drag racing is fun once or twice and then the people who can really ride move on to other things. Buy this quad not only because it is rediculously fast stock but because it kicks *** everywhere else on the trail as well.:devil:

dbc112
03-15-2009, 06:53 PM
700xx is tuned down out the factory.. Get a pipe, filter, and power commander. Apparently its a whole new ballgame.

Got to love efi.. welcome to 1980 atv's.

Have a deposit down on a black on black 700xx.. IRS was my decision point. Went honda over polaris...