PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Sticks!!

IcutMetl
03-12-2009, 05:32 PM
So I finally got my Motion Pro Turbo twist throttle to work with my 250r & PJ38 carb. It took a different cable and Keihin carb parts I found at a place in Cleveland. (I just needed the adjustment sleeve/nut on top afterall)

I lubed the cable, assembled everything, put the slide carefully back into the carb the correct way, and checked for smooth motion, then adjusted for cable slack. Very very smooth action, but if you twist it WFO, it hits a "sticky spot" at the end. It will sometimes but not all the times stick wide open. Bad things. Had carb cap off and on multiple times, adjusted cable from different points (throttle, carb, & adjustment section of cable), but still kept doing it. Started up fine and ran fine, smooth motion, but a quick whack wide open had it stuck- quickly shut it off.

To unstick it, all I have to do is lightly loosen the carb cap a quarter-half turn or so, and pop...back closed. Doesn't happen with thumb throttle. Same cap, same spring.

What's the deal???

Honda 250r 001
03-12-2009, 05:36 PM
is your spring still in there? make sure the seal on the cap is in there if its gone it would make the cap screw on too far and might cause some trouble. dont run with a loose cap, if you are at the dunes, wrap some black tape around it to seal it because you will suck in air through the splines.

IcutMetl
03-12-2009, 05:46 PM
Yep, cap screwed on tight, and gasket plus spring are still there. There was actually not even a gasket on it at first with the thumb throttle. I tried to remove the gasket, tighten cap, throttle still stuck. It's like it's trying to open it a hair too far??

Honda 250r 001
03-12-2009, 06:10 PM
well try loosening the cable. you may think the cable has slack in it because your internal throttle parts are worn when it really doesnt. try to loosen it up a whole bunch and see if it works.

IcutMetl
03-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. How much free-play should the twist throttle have in it? I had the motion-pro "cr-pro" on my 400ex and didn't seem to have this problem.

IcutMetl
03-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Well, that didn't seem to work either. I loosened the snot outta the cable...no luck. Tightened the snot back into it...no luck. Lubed the cable again and didn't seem to help. Every time it sticks, just a slight jiggle of the cable fitting or usually a twist of the carb cap and it's good.

Honda 250r 001
03-12-2009, 07:24 PM
dont know what to tell you. without actually seeing your quad. someone else had this problem? BUMP!

05LSR250R
03-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Take the cap off the carb, hold the assembly in your hand and twist the throttle to wide open. Check and see if that spring is compressing and hangin up on itself at wide open position.

Also......could the needle be coming up too far outta the main and gettin hung up some how?

When I bought my R years ago it had a twist on it........notorious for gettin stuck...hated that damn thing!

IcutMetl
03-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your guys' help. I did remove the assembly out of the carb and twist the throttle- it pinned w/o getting stuck, even with the spring not being completely straight. I'm almost certain it's happening on the carb end of the cable and not in the twist. Don't understand why it wasn't happening with the thumb throttle. It's almost like it's coming too far out when pinned wide open???

pdxbigfoot
03-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Carb to airbox tube off and look to see if that needle is comming out the top into the main body of the carb.
If anything you might be able to see if its hanging up on something....My .02

woodsracer144
03-15-2009, 08:07 PM
i would make sure the cable doesnt have a sharp bend in it some where...

bluetrx
03-16-2009, 04:33 PM
i think your throttle is trying to open the slide beyond wide open. does you twist throttle have a throttle stop on? it if so try adjusting. look down its throat while opening the throttle make it so it dosent pull anymore as soon as it makes a perfect circle.

IcutMetl
03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
I think that's what's happening too; going past wide open. It's buttery smooth until you twist it ALL THE WAY to the stop. There's no adjustment screw; I thought about putting one in, but I think switching to the "CR Pro" model twisty will get it done. I've been riding it and works fine because it never needs wide open, but still dangerous. What an expensive adventure...