PDA

View Full Version : 10 doller revlave kit, no valve or taking shock apart

Honda 250r 001
03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
if your lookin to make your rear shock on your trx 250r have a little more dampening to it because you always bottom out on jumps. just go down to the local co-op and get some tractor hydraulic oil and change your old oil out with the thicker hydraulic oil, it worked great for me and helped a lot. But im not sure if the oil will change when it gets warmer we will see. Any one ever thought of this other than me?

thedeatons
03-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Good thinking! That will slow down the "action" of the shock, but is no substitute for respringing the shock for the proper weight.

On a side note, any motorcycle shop can get shock oil in different weights. For instance Axis uses a 10wt oil in their shocks, as does Ohlins. So you could go to a 5wt for a quicker action, or a 20wt to really slow things down...

If you weigh 230 though, and the shocks are sprung for a 160lb rider, you will never get it right simply adjusting oil weight. The spring rates are very specific to rider weights....

Honda 250r 001
03-12-2009, 05:33 PM
ya but its a quick way to have more valving for very cheap. i always bottom out my shock. im going to get a axis rear someday but im savin for now. plus you can tighten up those stock springs pretty far, but that give you no up travel.

thedeatons
03-13-2009, 08:53 AM
If you run out of room on the preload collar you could also try removing the large adjuster nuts and installing a thick piece of PVC pipe as a preload spacer. This will compress the spring more and tighten it up a bit. The problem is that every time you compress the spring like that you shorten the available travel of the shock.