PDA

View Full Version : Snapped screw

Ex907rider
03-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Hey guys, stupid and annoying problem.
I was putting the lid on my front brake reservoir, and the darn head of the screw snapped off. half of the screw is still inside the reservoir.
Because of my location, i have no auto-shops, no access to a new reservoir, and no fancy tools.
I've already tried putting it in a vice, heating it up... and nothing. no movement.
Any ideas on how to get it out?
there's just a very little bit stickin out of the top.

fishnfergie
03-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Grind a slot in the part that is sticking out and use a large flat head and try and get it out.

buck440
03-12-2009, 11:33 PM
it might be too small but buy an easy out and try it or get a new master cylinder ....i seen one on ebay buy it now for $35

Homerx
03-13-2009, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Ex907rider
Hey guys, stupid and annoying problem.
I was putting the lid on my front brake reservoir, and the darn head of the screw snapped off. half of the screw is still inside the reservoir.
Because of my location, i have no auto-shops, no access to a new reservoir, and no fancy tools.
I've already tried putting it in a vice, heating it up... and nothing. no movement.
Any ideas on how to get it out?
there's just a very little bit stickin out of the top.

I had the same thing happen I put a small pair of vice grips on it and turned it out. GL

CJM
03-13-2009, 08:47 AM
If you can get a grip vise grips,if not drill it out for a larger screw and tap it.

scuzz
03-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by fishnfergie
Grind a slot in the part that is sticking out and use a large flat head and try and get it out.

Yes, get a dremmel and do this. I had a Phillips screw inside my airbox that was stripped and I dremmeled a slot in it for a flathead screw driver and got it out quick.

Dremmel type tools are awesome with stuff around your quad.

Ex907rider
03-13-2009, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
I tried the slot in the top, and a flat head, no luck.
Its pretty tight in there. I may have to drill it out..
But just thinking about getting a new res.. Living in AK isn't great for problems like this one..
Thanks again guys.

Hmm, im still workin on gettin a dremmel.. i love those things...

03-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
Dremmel type tools are awesome with stuff around your quad.

word. I have used it many times. Grinding off bolts, shocks, and making a slot in a screw head that stripped. I think I had to do that with almost all my carb screws, then I went out and bought new steel bolts to use a socket and never strip them.

hondaking52
03-13-2009, 08:48 PM
how much is sticking up? i broke one of the bolts that holds my head cover on, tapped a 6mm(i think) socket over the bolt, turned right out, if its in to far, drill a small hole in it, and get a reversed screw remover, kinda like an easy out, but on the inside...

Ex907rider
03-14-2009, 11:14 PM
No luck yet.
The weather is great right now, is it possible to rig it for a lil ridin? electape/zipties? the other screw is just fine.. just that one..
I really want to ride, and just wondering if i'll do any harm if i ziptie it down and some electrical tape....

Dathon Lawler
03-15-2009, 02:30 AM
if it's in there german style......goodentight. grind or file a nice flat top and just start over on the tapping process. punch a dimple in it. drill the propper size hole. and tap it. and iffffffff you have to jimmy rig this fella. at least use something that's got some force behind it. not zips. not tape. lol. and nobody wants to see an EX'er runnin around with a giant pair of vise grips stickin out. lmao. i thought for a minute here and i came up with.......i thnk maybe a decent size hose clamp. you can get those suckers pretty tight if you opt for the socket instead of the screwdriver. gl.