PDA

View Full Version : Do all pipes have header gaskets?

shok47
03-12-2009, 11:43 AM
After taking off my yoshi exhaust twice I noticed there was no type of gasket between the header and exhaust valve (or maybe it was stuck to the engine). Should there always be one? and if its stuck, should it be changed? If there isnt, could this be causing my tick tick noise? I researched on here that the leak could cause the tick tick. i want to double check before i mess around witht he cam chain and side cover.

jcs003
03-12-2009, 11:51 AM
there is a product out there that is like a clay and it does a great job on sealing 4-stroke exhausts. in my experience it works better than the OEM gasket.

F-16Guy
03-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah, there should be a couple of copper crush type gaskets, one for each hole. They are soft and meant to compress to seal any gaps, so if you re-use them, they may leak. They're not very expensive, so you could buy new ones or go with the new stuff jcs003 is talking about.

shok47
03-12-2009, 12:12 PM
Alright, thanks

Also if anything goes wrong with the gaskets, will I see oil spitting out or could it be as little as just air? I want to check everything else before i rip into the cam chain and side cover to check for the tick tick noise

jcs003
03-12-2009, 12:34 PM
if you have "blow by" it will be part of your combustion cycle. the exhaust gas will be thick and dark. you will se no fluid.

shok47
03-12-2009, 12:42 PM
what is blow by? There is nothing coming out of the header part, but at the parts that the pipe connects, there is the black stuff coming out. Would that indicate a leak or is that too far from the header?? (its where the pipe slips on and then the other 2 connections of the pipe) This is all after the heat shield

jcs003
03-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by shok47
what is blow by? There is nothing coming out of the header part, but at the parts that the pipe connects, there is the black stuff coming out. Would that indicate a leak or is that too far from the header?? (its where the pipe slips on and then the other 2 connections of the pipe) This is all after the heat shield

"blow by" is when piston rings are worn beyond allowable tolerances. oil will be pulled into the combustion chamber and be burned with the air/fuel mixture. you will get dark thick smoke.

for the black stuff, 'seeping' that is carbon: unburnt fuel. very common.

BossHogg420
03-12-2009, 02:48 PM
yea when i took of my headers they didnt have the crush gaskets from the factory.....honda *******s so i put some on...any ones else get one without the gaskets from the factory?