PDA

View Full Version : freshing up a motor?

xtreme 250x
03-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Hey Guy/Girls I am trying to decide on a piston kit for my ltr I am now running a wiesco piston stock compression open box and a yoshi pipe. I am thinking of going with the je piston it bumps the compression to 12.8-1. If i do this do I have to change cam and get a fuel management system: ie powercomander. If I do have to change the cam and Fuel management how do I know what pitch cam to get and i have seen a bunch of different fuel management systems on ebay what is everybodys opinion. I am very new to efi and up grades i searched to find other threads but couldn't find one to help. Thanks for all of your help in advance.

LTR450_#67
03-12-2009, 06:48 PM
If you're raising the compression it's best to get a cam......in most cases just go with an intake cam for the LTRs. Changing the exhaust cam doesn't do much on these unless it's been punched out or over-bored so it can breathe. The best bang for the buck is the either the Hot Cams intake cam or ATP Racing has one that is better for a lil bit more in price. As for fuel controllers the Power Commander 3/III is the favorite by many due to ease of tuning on the dyno. Plus you can download maps that will get you in the ballpark without hurting your engine. But if you don't have the money to dish out for PC3 the cheaper ones like the dyna-tek or dobeck will do what you need to keep you from running lean. The Yoshimura set-up is pretty good from what I hear. It's just that you have to buy an adjuster (FIMAK), instead of just using a labtop.

when you get the mods done though you should get it dyno tuned for the best results. There is a difference from being in the ballpark and being spot on when it comes to tuning your bike.....

Warnerade
03-12-2009, 07:24 PM
might wanna consider getting a new cylinder if you have a bit of time on your bike already...

You can run a high compression piston without gettin a cam, I did for a little bit and it still made a huge difference over the stock piston.

xtreme 250x
03-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I have about a season on this piston and cylinder.
I blew it up last spring ran it out of oil when a line came off the bottom. I might send it out mid season or so for a new sleave.