PDA

View Full Version : coolant overflow ideas

riding4fun
03-12-2009, 05:20 AM
Can you give me some ideas of what I can do to make a coolant overflow. Since I did the L/C conversion I still need to make some sort of coolant overflow set up.

Give me some ideas please.

Thanks

ugliest6868
03-12-2009, 05:50 AM
in my opinion i dont think you need an overflow at all. i've been runnin one bike w/out one for a couple months with no probs. keep an eye on your fluid level every couple motos an you'll be fine.your radiator will not stay completly full, it will go down just below the neck, pull the cap and squeeze a hose and you should see anti-freeze thats how mines been runnin and its fine

riding4fun
03-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Problem is we don't run motos. We run 40 minute races.

Logan #34's Dad
03-12-2009, 11:18 AM
You could get a bottle and bracket from Wal-Mart for a bike. Run a line into the top of the bottle and seal it well and find a good place to mount it using zip ties or the mounting hardware from the bracket.
technically its not an "overflow" it is and expansion bottle cause when the water and other parts get hot they expand. I can jerry-rig anything! LOL

cjpoole1
03-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Get you a used yfz or raptor overflow like this. Should be easy to mount on the rear frame somewhere.
YFZ Overflow (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/yamaha-Yfz450-yfz-450-coolant-overflow-bottle_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el11 16QQitemZ380087187188QQptZOtherQ5fVehicleQ5fParts)

QuadJunkies
03-12-2009, 12:16 PM
The Predators would work well too.
We are relocating ours by the steering stem bracket.

snowbalz
03-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Some Pro riders eliminate the bottle altogether. They take a hose from the radiator overflow and point it at the engine or the exhaust. So if the engine should overheat it will drain the fluid onto the engine giving off steam. Which will let them know the engine is overheating and they can shut it down to save the motor from seizer or other heat related damage.

mfr422
03-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Check out my 08 90 xc build thread two posts down, I used an old trx250r bottle for mine, it even has a cutout that matches the angle of the subframe. I might eliminate the bottle on my quad, but wouldn't consider it on a mini, my nephew would probably stop everytime he went through a puddle thinking he was overheating. I've already went through this with the overheat light, we had a bad connection and it would flicker and he would stop everytime. I kept telling him to keep going unless it was on for a few minutes without going off. They listen too well sometimes.:D . You also don't have to check the rad if you have a bottle as you can look at the level and tell if your using water. Good luck, hope I helped. Lonny

raidernut
03-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Darrell-

what is wrong with the stock one? as long as you relocate it a little higher than normal stock location you will be fine.

Logan #34's Dad
03-13-2009, 06:23 AM
I think Darrell just converted to L/C and needs a bottle.

riding4fun
03-13-2009, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
I think Darrell just converted to L/C and needs a bottle.

That is correct. Thanks for the ideas.

ugliest6868
03-13-2009, 11:01 AM
i had him out ridin a couple sundays for at least 2 hours, only shut quad off once for bout 5 min. no problems, if you have a problem in one of your motos 3-4 ounces of anti-freeze in that little bottle is'nt gonna do you any good.i just figured that if dirt bikes dont need'em niether do i. my swingarm,shock, rear brakes,axle, and wheels stay alot cleaner now they dont have anti-freeze splashin all over them. JMO