PDA

View Full Version : Wheel spacers?

TC17
12-27-2002, 10:04 AM
i'm looking at come durblue wheel spacers. it gets to tippy and i need better handling. so i need to widen it. some people i've talked to say that when you start jumping with them they break. they're made by Durablue so i'm goign to trust them. i'll get 2 1/2 each side in the back and 2 each in the front. 200 bucks for 2 sets. i don't want to go jumping while i'm racing and have my front wheels go breaking off rollign down a hill and see everyone pass me. should i get them or not? i do NOT want to pay for an axle and a-arms that's way too much. i'm also getting low profile tires so it won't be riding on the middle of the tires.

DaveEX7
12-27-2002, 12:08 PM
id get them, im lookin into them also, except mine are made by Moose, and for 8 of them its like $25, there probably really cheap but if ur quad is too tippy and u want better handling, get them

d-14 rider 27
12-27-2002, 02:40 PM
i would get them for the back, they will hold as long as you make sure they're tight, if they get loose, the impact could shatter them, so make sure they are tight before every race. as for the front, dont waste your money, just flip your stock rims, drill new valve stem hole, etc...

TC17
12-27-2002, 09:39 PM
k. thanks guys. i have decided to buy them. now what do you think about shocks? i can get the for 50 bucks. should i get them?

racin 400
12-27-2002, 09:41 PM
Can you jump wit the front 1s only?

TC17
12-29-2002, 12:29 PM
what do you mean? i think i'm getting them all around though.

JUSTINcredible
12-29-2002, 12:38 PM
they would be fine to put on the front but if you put them on the back and jump alot the extra leverage on the stock axle will start to bend it

TC17
12-31-2002, 10:48 AM
ok. my dad said to start we'll put them on the front and if we have to the back.

jb400exxx
12-31-2002, 04:07 PM
flip the stock fronts and get them for the back.

PhilMoore
12-31-2002, 06:27 PM
250EX axle extenders and flipped rims: www.atvpix.com/250ex.html

www.atvpix.com/fliprim.html

I did this about a year ago, and have not had a single problem with the wheels coming loose, or bending anything. Granted my wife mostly rides the quad, but I have "tested" it out on some 3 foot high jumps myself:) (I weigh about 200)

Keep in mind, when you widen the front by flipping the rims, or adding spacers, you increase the stress on your front end components. You will notice a slight increase in steering effort. Another downside is increased bumpsteer. When hitting a bump or rough spot, the handlebar may jerk erratically. This has not been a problem for us, but like I implied earlier, my wife is not overly aggressive. She appreciates the added stability, and does not mind the added steering effort. A fair trade...

You will also notice your shocks will be "softer" with the added force applied by the wheel center being further out on the spindle. Again this has not been a problem for Toni and I because I wanted more give in the stiff front end. I went one step further, and installed a set of Works shocks valved for a 130 pound rider (low as they go...)

I installed 2.5" DG aluminum wheel spacers on the rear. I once had a set of 2.5" DG plastic wheel spacers on my Blaster, and they broke and cracked right away. I have run the Aluminum ones on my 350X, and they never come loose, and have not cracked. The only problem, as mentioned by MNmxblaster37, will be the stress on the axle. You will increase your odds of bending the axle with the added length. The axle is not designed to be extended. I bent an axle on my 350X running the spacers. The axle tweaked right at the narrowest point, at the end before the hub spline. All I did was lightly (in my estimation) clip a 2" poplar sapling on the edge of the trail, and the axle bent. If you plan on doing a lot of jumping, a bad landing could bend your axle pretty easily.

All said, I believe your best bet is adding the REAR extensions. Widening the front has a larger effect on more moving (and seemingly delicate) parts. You will definately enjoy more stable cornering, and off-camber side-hill riding with the extra width.

Another option would be to order a set of 20 inch "racing" style tires. These would have a stiffer sidewall, and a flatter profile which can help. Keep in mind, the stock ballon tires actually provide you with a bit of added suspension, with the downside being a tire that "rolls over" during harsh cornering situations. When you order the tires, you can order them installed on increased offset rims. You may be able to add an inch to each side with the extra offset. You could try the tires and rims first, and if that is not satisfactory, order the spacers. You will want to measure your stock offset, and make sure you order an increased ratio.(ie: 3+4, 3+5, etc.)

Keep in mind any wheels and tires you order for your 250EX will mount up to a 400EX, or 250R if you upgrade to one of those someday! :)

Good luck!
Phil

jaspurx
12-31-2002, 07:04 PM
i have been thinking of getting a set as well. i was not sure if they were worth it , stability is great , but not if i bend an axle because i did not have enough money to buy a beter rear axle! what shocks can you get for 50 bucks???

jaspurx
12-31-2002, 07:06 PM
has anyone tried a lowering kit ? suposedly it can drop the ride by actually changing the shocks locations with brackets!!

TC17
01-01-2003, 03:00 PM
thanks for the info. i'll experiment with the rim offset the spacers and the rear wheel extenders. i'm getting low profile 20"s for racing too.