PDA

View Full Version : Racer support from Lonestar What a deal.....NOT

fourwhls
12-27-2002, 09:46 AM
Below is my response to the sponsorship offer from Lonestar. Why do we support companies that don't support us?????

Mr. Bednar
Hello, my name is Shawn Lambert. I submitted my race resume to your company this year for race support for the 2003 season. I would just like some clarification on the package that I was offered.

I was offered the "C" ride, at 10% off retail. I did some quick research this morning, thumbing through the latest Dirt Wheels magazine, and checking out your web site.

I used your axcaliber axle as my reference point. On your web site, the axle lists for $388.49. At the sponsored rider rate, I can purchase this axle for $349.64. Now, I can purchase this axle through Golden West Cycle or Denton Racing for $329.95. This is a 15.07% discount from the retail price. I can also purchase this axle from World Class Accessories for 319.95. This is a 17.64% discount from retail price.

Now, could you please tell me how Lonestar is supporting racers by providing us with this great deal? It appears to me that we are over paying you to promote your product. Also, it appears that the companies listed above treat the general consumer better that you treat your sponsored racers.

I have run Lonestar products on my ATVs for years now. I wouldn't have submitted a resume to you unless I thought you provided a quality product.

This has left me with a really bad feeling about Lonestar. I don't wish to be placed on your support program. I will be removing any and all Lonestar decals from my bikes and trailer, and also will be selling my steering stem and axle and purchasing replacements from a sponsor that takes care of their racers.

Thank you, but no thank you. Lonestar is not supporting the sport of quad racing, they are soliciting sales.

Shawn Lambert
Virginia Beach, VA

airheadedduner
12-27-2002, 09:59 AM
Dan is on here, why don't you PM him and ask??? His SN is Dan Fisher.

Moto92
12-27-2002, 12:02 PM
Definately cant argue with that point. Im sure you will get their attention atleast.

indygncc
12-27-2002, 03:53 PM
Lonestar is lame anyway, a buddy of mine that I race with has went through 3 of their swingarms, cant even get them to last a season. Buy Houser products...
Most places do what they do for sponsorship, these companies barely give the pro's free products.

660bigdaddy
12-28-2002, 08:22 AM
wow, that's a smoking deal. where do i sign up! sounds like package C is for when you want to sponsor lonestar...you need to tell them where to put your sticker on their trailer. lol:p

QuadTrix6
12-28-2002, 01:18 PM
You have made an excellent point, i think that these companies take us for idiots sometimes.... :grr

BadA$$440
12-29-2002, 11:12 AM
Have they responded yet? Im anxioius to see what exucse they come up with.

fourwhls
12-29-2002, 04:07 PM
not yet, I doubt they will.

airheadedduner
12-29-2002, 09:24 PM
So have you PM'ed Dan yet, he has takin care of quite a few problems with LSR products.

fourwhls
12-31-2002, 02:13 PM
OK Airhead,

I PM'd Dan Fisher. Lets see if he will respond.

airheadedduner
01-01-2003, 12:12 AM
Dude, I am not trying to flame or anything.

Go to steering and suspension and look at the thread LSR fans #2. PM outlaw, I am sure he can get you dan's phone number.

01-01-2003, 01:52 PM
i dont blame u, this local racer bought a lsr frame, hes a a level rider and his upper and lower a arms are closer together on one side than the other, thier swingarms break like crazy and thier a arms arent worth anywhere near what they ask, thier frames cracked in dirtwheels after 2 or 3 pro races......they need to get thier act together, i run thier axle its a good prouct, its about 1 of 3 quality products they make, id really liek to see them get thier act together and make something good

01-01-2003, 01:54 PM
forgot to mention they wont do anything about his frame i will buy laeger, houser,and even some other brands that arent that popular, i dont think i will ever buy a lsr frame product over priced bad quality

beerock
01-01-2003, 02:00 PM
Ever look up the price for a set of replacement bearings from LSR??
$100 bucks!!!

for 2 bearings and seals!!!!!!!

Not a very good deal!!!!!!!!!!!!:grr

B@ckBoneBelgium
01-01-2003, 04:43 PM
MAN ,

Stop bashing LSR . I think the guy made his point about sponsorship . But what if you where in LSR's or another company's place , do you give free stuff to anybody who asks for it ? NO , I woudn't .

Ok , maybe they should give more then 10 % off retail prices , but thats not my call . I you want some sponsors you have to search for it localy . People that give you CASH and than you could buy anything you want .

If you get cash , you go to the Quadshop or any other store that are dealers for those aftermarket company's...They will give you a nice price or deal en maybe they will sponsor you also if you buy a lot of parts over there .

Maybe you say , what the **** does he know about it ? Well I live in Belgium and we run in total maybe 250 ATV's for the Belgian Quad Championship . So here we don't have a lot of Sponsors , like LSR , K&N , Houser , etc .

I have to do it with local sponsors , get cash from them and order everything ( almost ) from the usa . I get 1000 $ Sponsorship a year , and that is not much . But it pays off my lisence and my registration money for each race . Above that there is a quadshop that give's me a discount of 25 % on all articles , And that is because I buy there equipment for alot of people's quad's

I think there are a lot of kids on this site , that do not realise that sponsoring pro riders also costs a lot of money for those aftermarket company's and that they just cannot sponsor every rider on this planet .

My uncle is the team manager for KTM Millenium team in MX 125cc Motorcross , like steve ramon , Caps , etc and he needs about 500.000 $ of cash to get thru one seazon ... I hope you getting the point of sponsoring . Pro riders don't ride for free you know ...

Another thing is that if you got sponsorship or a deal with somebody is keeping it private . This will solve your problem more quickly .If you are not happy with the deal they made for you , send again a letter that you where not happy on the deal for sponsorship and explain them why and give a decent reason !!!
This gets more appricated and you gain more respect from them then bashing them into the ground because they don't sponsor you enough ...

If you got complaints about service , not treated right , then come out in the open and post this post an every Forum you find on the internet , like you did also on atv connection .

I know I will get flamed for this answer , but I just said my 2. cent
:devil

01-02-2003, 04:55 PM
OK so I am flaming just a bit. Lonestar only gave you 10% off!!! hey me too but you don't have to buy their product. So 10% doesn't help. I was given a much better deal by another company and I took it. Where did it say that any company has to give you any kind of discount. I drive a chevy to work everyday it looks nice lots of people see me drive it everyday, it pulls my traillers better than most truck, so do you think chevy should give me a disscount when i buy my next truck? All I am saying is that you don't even get response from evevry company that you send a resume too. Some do give you great deals some only give you great deals if you are extremely good. Would have you felt better if they had sent you back a reply that said sorry you didn't make our race support program this year? From what everyone else is saying on this post why do you even want lonestar products if they are so bad!!!!!!!!!!! If you have actually had bad luck with a lonestar product and better luck with a another company you have a right to be upset you everyone else quit bad mouthing a company that helps our sport. (sorry maybe not you personally but this sport they do help) One passing note if you don't like their products quit crying and just don't buy them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry I want to ad one more thing. How many national championships have peopel won on Roll Design?____
how about houser?____
how about lonestar?____
not meaning to drag the other companies into this but I believ these are the two most popular companies. please feel free to fill in the blanks because I don't know. I think it goes 1,0,at least 2

QuadTrix6
01-02-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by fourwhls
OK Airhead,

I PM'd Dan Fisher. Lets see if he will respond.

:confused:

fourwhls
01-02-2003, 06:25 PM
If Lonestar is such a great company that supports quad racing, Why haven't they replied to my e-mail or the PM to Dan Fisher and defended their position????
I would like a response to my reasonable questions.

And GNCCer, Yes I would rather have gotten a letter from them saying that they were unable to help me out. I have a few companies that sent me letters saying exactly that.

Belgium dude, I sent out a lot of resumes this year. Not only to large companies, but also to local shops. I have gotten support from both sides. Lonestar is the only company that made the bogus offer. As stated above, I did receive a few letters saying "sorry, try again next year." I think that is more than fair. The sponsorship money should be split up among the riders most deserving. When the money runs out, it runs out.

Lonestar was not offering any money at all. They were trying to benifit from people that are too naive to read between the lines. Most younger riders would be more than happy to accept a 10% off retail package, just so they can go to school and tell all their friends that they ride for Lonestar.

I think some of you should contact Dan or Lonestar and see if he/they respond(s) to you.

oynot400
01-03-2003, 10:38 AM
I was just wondering fourwhls, is this the first year you sent out resumes? Thanks to Mity Mo, this is my 2nd year for trying to get sponsorship. I get alot of 10-15% off retail. I can go to my local Honda shop and get it for about the same price and not have to pay shipping. I have gotten repeat sponsorships from some companies and the discounts are better this year, but not always.
These companies get alot of resumes, and I know I would not want to sort through them all and decide who gets what. I would be curious to know what it takes to be part of there "A class" program.
I think Belgium has a good point. You need to push for the local sponsors. That is where you are going to see some cash.

chavez
01-03-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by GNCCer
OK so I am flaming just a bit. Lonestar only gave you 10% off!!! hey me too but you don't have to buy their product. So 10% doesn't help. I was given a much better deal by another company and I took it. Where did it say that any company has to give you any kind of discount. I drive a chevy to work everyday it looks nice lots of people see me drive it everyday, it pulls my traillers better than most truck, so do you think chevy should give me a disscount when i buy my next truck? All I am saying is that you don't even get response from evevry company that you send a resume too. Some do give you great deals some only give you great deals if you are extremely good. Would have you felt better if they had sent you back a reply that said sorry you didn't make our race support program this year? From what everyone else is saying on this post why do you even want lonestar products if they are so bad!!!!!!!!!!! If you have actually had bad luck with a lonestar product and better luck with a another company you have a right to be upset you everyone else quit bad mouthing a company that helps our sport. (sorry maybe not you personally but this sport they do help) One passing note if you don't like their products quit crying and just don't buy them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry I want to ad one more thing. How many national championships have peopel won on Roll Design?____
how about houser?____
how about lonestar?____
not meaning to drag the other companies into this but I believ these are the two most popular companies. please feel free to fill in the blanks because I don't know. I think it goes 1,0,at least 2

you have to be the coolest guy out here you and your chevy truck drivng down the road with a trailor and stuff. me i dont have a truck or a trailor anymore i wonder if uhaul is offering sponsorship.or what about you will you take my quad to the races lol

as for the sponsorship usually the longer you are with a company year after year it gets bettter. you have to create a relationship with a sponsor. my first year i got a 10% discount from a break pad company well by the time i would have payed shipping it would have cost more than to buy them from the local shop. i created a relationship where if i went ahead and bought them from the shop i got a better deal. now a few years later i dont even have to pay at all.

Mxbubs
01-03-2003, 11:08 AM
About receiving money instead of deals on parts......Im 100% sure in the AMA if you take money and are caught, you can never again race as an amateur in an ama event. You have to race the Pro or Money Classes. I would also bet it is the same in the ATVA. So money is probably out of the question unless you do not want to race atva sanctioned events, or want to race pro.

chavez
01-03-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
About receiving money instead of deals on parts......Im 100% sure in the AMA if you take money and are caught, you can never again race as an amateur in an ama event. You have to race the Pro or Money Classes. I would also bet it is the same in the ATVA. So money is probably out of the question unless you do not want to race atva sanctioned events, or want to race pro.
thats true

01-03-2003, 04:16 PM
will you take my quad to the races lol
NO chavez you know my rule no mexicans in my truck!!!!!!!!!!
OK maybe I will just because you have more sponsors than me. hahaha

mrusk
01-03-2003, 09:45 PM
What happens if my frame on my 250r cracks in the middle of the season and my main sponser JOHN DOE FARM EQUIPMENT gives to 1800 to run to nacs to go buy a new arens. Is that illegal?

matt

stocktires
01-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Why not just get "John Doe" to buy you the frame? That would make more sense to me :blah

beerock
01-04-2003, 12:09 AM
ive started to curb myself on the bashing. but ill say it again.

$100 bux for 2 bearings and seals????????:grr

Your right though I shouldnt *****, I should just buy somewhere else.

The reason I am *****ing is because that offends me. To think that I am stupid enough to pay $100 for 2 8-10 dollar bearings and 2 2-4 dollar seals.I don't know about you but its like LSr is insulting alot of peoples intelligence by striking such a high price and keeping a straight face.

I understand theres a mark up on product but gimme a break thats a 215% mark up on bearngs.

i wish i could do that.

how are they helping the sport with prices like that?

there hindering the sport by making it hard to be competitive because of price budget.

I see how they help but I also see how they HURT.

Most sponsorships in the u.s. are for products or 10-40%discounts

to tell you the truth i hope john arens rocks the atv industry and has everyone buyin from him cuz he lowers the prices so much that no one buys from overpriced companies.:macho

01-04-2003, 12:48 AM

I am going to have to read up on this in the rule book but in no way is sponsorship money or products the same as being a paid professional rider.

Does anyone know this well enough to save me researching it?

Anyhow if you think your gonna get great deals out side of the pro classes please explain yourself.

d-14 rider 27
01-04-2003, 02:50 PM
why cant you take money as sponsorship???? if mr. blank plumbing gives me 500 bucks a year to spend on parts, welding wire, diesel fuel, race gas, tires, etc.. all for racing, whats wrong with that? someone said to find local sponsors, like that, and resturants etc... what is a restuarant gonna do for you, give you a big *** doggie bag so you have food at the track for the weekend???? what is a landscaping company gonna do for you, come with and mow the pits where your parked? the way i see it, the side of my trailer is like a billboard, ppl pay to have their name up there. whats wrong with that? i think its all bs. mxbubs, (not flaming you) where do you read about this kinda deal, or figure out for sure, cuz that cant be right.

Mity Mo
01-04-2003, 03:48 PM
Mxbubs is correct on most of that. As an amateur racer you are not allowed to accept money. You can however recieve coupons or store bucks. As an A,B,C rider you are an amateur. If the AMA or ATVA catch you recieving money CASH that is a direct violation. Its kinda like college ball I guess in a way. If you are caught you must be in a Pro-Am or Pro class. Now with that said I do not believe in all the years I have been doing this that anyone has ever been brought up on these claims. But they are there for the catch all. If they dont like you then yes they can nail you for it. But As I said I have never witnessed this before. Hope that helps a little. Mo;)

A4StrokeGuy
01-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Being the slow and retarded one that i am, i don't fully comprehend what has been stated. So basically the rules say i can't take sponsorship from say a local auto body shop if he is going to give me $20 a race that i compete in. Can they say pay for your sign up fee's or is that illegal also? If i get this right that is about as dumb as it comes!:huh IF this is true i guess i better tell my sponsors too 1) buy me parts instead of cash or 2) pray i'm good enough to race pro:blah

Jordan "the confused racer"

trx400ex
01-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by A4StrokeGuy
Being the slow and retarded one that i am, i don't fully comprehend what has been stated. So basically the rules say i can't take sponsorship from say a local auto body shop if he is going to give me $20 a race that i compete in. Can they say pay for your sign up fee's or is that illegal also? If i get this right that is about as dumb as it comes!:huh IF this is true i guess i better tell my sponsors too 1) buy me parts instead of cash or 2) pray i'm good enough to race pro:blah

Jordan "the confused racer"

well, just dont let anyone know about it....

A4StrokeGuy
01-04-2003, 06:57 PM
yeah thats what i was kinda thinking, i was talking to my racing partner and were just going to keep it hush hush and if anyone asks we did sum work for him or something. And i won't let anyone know that i'm slow and retarded, they might take advantage of me:eek:

Dan Fisher
01-08-2003, 11:49 AM
I do not turn anyone down for sponsership. Yes most people who are not into racing only get a 10% discount and yes I know you can find our parts cheaper. I thought it was neat to sponser everyone even though it was just 10%. If you guys think it would be better for me just to turn people down and not offer any discount on our parts, I can do that too. I will be watching this site to see what you think. Please let me know. Dan @ Lone Star Racing

MxDale71
01-08-2003, 12:08 PM
I think you should hook me up w/ some a-arms, a axle, and steering stem for free. LOL, ;) J/K. I haven't been reading this whole post, but I would have to agree with you Dan. They're your products and you can sell them for what ever price you want. If people have a problem with you not giving them enough of a discount, don't give that particular person the discount. Let them buy the parts from someone else, and when that company doesn't have the parts in stock or something, they'll just have to wait 2 months to get them. If they need the parts in a hurry, they can order them from you and wish they could've still gotten the discount.

P.S. If you wanna give me an axle, thats ok too. ;) :D Hehe.

01-08-2003, 12:33 PM
Dan just remember that some people cry only because they have tear ducts...:eek: You can give some people a $100 and some will complain that it wasn't in small bills,,even though you GAVE it to them. Keep up the good work dan..

This is why I didn't send off 100 resumes all over Gods creation... I get great deals thru my one main sponsor so why waste a stamp and time to find out my main sponsor gets me better pricing than the manufacturer.. Now after you boys get a few years of racing under your belt and have plenty of fancy trophies and plaques to show off,,I'm sure Dan will take better care of you when you prove your racing expertise to him...;) :D

oynot400
01-08-2003, 12:56 PM
I am still would like to know what it takes to make the different levels of sponsorship. I know you can't give away free parts for someone that is just starting out. Just what does it take? racing for +5 years, always finishing in the top 5 each race or top in points? :confused:

chavez
01-08-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Dan Fisher
I do not turn anyone down for sponsership. Yes most people who are not into racing only get a 10% discount and yes I know you can find our parts cheaper. I thought it was neat to sponser everyone even though it was just 10%. If you guys think it would be better for me just to turn people down and not offer any discount on our parts, I can do that too. I will be watching this site to see what you think. Please let me know. Dan @ Lone Star Racing

I think it is cool ! and RICO summed it up best. 4 years of racing a million miles of driving to races enough plaques to build a condo and still have WOOD left over i would take the 10%.

Dan Fisher
01-08-2003, 01:32 PM
One thing we look at is what class you ride. Then how many races you plan to attend this year and what races you are going to race. I am limited on how many of the larger discounts to give out. So you might deserve a better discount and did not get it because you sent your resume in to late or I have better people that deserve it more. I got over two thousand letter this year and maybe 20% of those letter where really racers. I try to get all the racers the better discount but as hard as I try I will not please everyone. So all I can say is keep trying or try my distributers because I will also work with them on rider sapport deals. So if you have any questions please call. (800)457-7223 ext.203 Dan @ LSR

Mxbubs
01-08-2003, 03:59 PM
I sympathise with Dan on this one guys.

However, I have never sent out a single letter asking for help. Hence, my bike is naked without stickers, with doesnt bother me.

Its real simple, get it as cheap as you can from whoever, and dont run people's stickers if they really were not any help to you. This includes graphic kits.:D

stocktires
01-08-2003, 04:07 PM
Im glad you posted Dan, I think you'r doingthe right thing, and If the rider progresses and sticks with you, then Im sure you'd consider a nicer sponshership.
Rico had a good imput! Thats the reason I didnt send out a single resume. I need a good full year of dedicated racing to see how good I actually am, then I'll be looking for sponsers.
I've been seeing ALOTA racers that send out resume's that shouldnt even be sending out resumes!

Sparks425Ex
01-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Dan: In My opinion. I think that sponsoring every rider is a waste of your time. Because the guys that get the 10% discount are gonna wine(understandable) because they can get part cheaper somwhere else. Well then they shouldn't wine. Just not take the sponsorship. I for one. sent you a resume. I would love a sponsorship for LSR. I think you guys have great products but some are a lil overpriced. All the products have performed great for me so far. But I bet these guys that get the 10% discount that are wining about not getting enough of a discount go an take the sponsership anyway so they can say. " I am sponsored by LSR"

Everyone else: If you don't like the sponsorship offered then don't take it. It is as simple as that. Maybe you are not what they were looking for as a rider. Or maybe you are just not good enough for their standards.

I do not care who I am sponsored by as long as they have good customer service and quality products. And not to mention a good enough discount to get parts cheaper then any other Joe when he goes to another dealer(Where he is not sponsered.)

And I would much have a letter back saying" Sorry We Can Not Sponser You" Then get a "pitty"/crap sponsorship.

Just My Opinions.

But Dan You still doing a great thing with sponsoring everyone. Some ppl just wanna say they are sponsored.

fourwhls
01-08-2003, 05:37 PM
Dan, Thank you for finally replying.

I understand your position from a business perspective. It is a very wise choice to sponsor every rider that sends you a resume. You get a whole lot of advertisement and don't have to spend a dime.

But...calling it racer support is kinda harsh. I guess you are helping the racers (or their parents) out in some way. You are alleviating future back pain due to carrying a heavy wallet.

Again, I would rather receive a "Sorry we can't help you" than a sappy offer.

Tell me this...How do you determine when the racer has reached potential to receive more than 10%?

LilGuyOn400ex
01-08-2003, 08:30 PM
In my honest opinion if i was going to get sponsered by that big of a company i think 10% would be perfectly fine because most of the time its not everyday u get sponsered by a U.S. wide name, personally i would take what i can get and not complain one bit but thats me.

01-08-2003, 10:47 PM
Guys I think maybe we are missing a little something here. Ever think why a company has a sponsorship program in the first place? What is in all these discounts and free stuff for the sponsor? Is it just advertising? Do they need to have their name on every b class riders ride to be known in the industry? Do they need to be seen on the top contenders so the average joe will buy their product? Should a company circumvent their distribution partners etc just to get everyone a deal?

I know there are more points to this but when you put yourself in the position of the manufacturer etc I think you can better understand why they cant properly sponser every racer.

Just my opinion but I think its close.