PDA

View Full Version : Break your oil tank?

Newrider08
03-11-2009, 08:27 PM
any of you ever break your oil tank drain tube?

I will tell you what NOT to do because the guy I got the 2002 400ex from did just this.

If you lose your rubber washer that is between the drain bolt and tank DONT USE JB WELD

Yeah seems obvious right lol, the jerk did this and I went to change the oil and the whole drain neck broke off of the oil tank.

I was lucky enough to find a good used tank on ebay for 60 bucks with the lines still attached.

It actually got me motivated to do a couple other things though like a new air filter, polishing some aluminum parts and doing a deep engine cleaning, adjusting my valves, new spark plug, touching up some frame paint, and OH YEAH changed out my painted black plastics for a nice set of OEM Honda Yellow Plastics with Carbon Fiber Graphics.

A friend put some kind of 2 stage epoxy on my broken oil tank to fix it so now I think I will grind that crap off and get a new neck welded back on ( got a neck from a smashed junkyard 400ex oil tank. SO that way I have a spare in case something happens to my new tank.

All in all it was a good lesson and a good reason to do alot of maintenance things that should hold me over for a while.

honda400ex2003
03-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Nice, it all pays off, can you post a pic with the carbon fiber graphics. I am really digging the carbon fiber look lately and want to get ideas for an exhaust shield I want to paint to look like carbon fiber. If you could post one of the carbon fiber up close too that would be awesome. Thanks alot steve

Johnny B
03-12-2009, 12:12 AM
haha sounds like this guy u bought the quad off of was a dumb *****.

Newrider08
03-12-2009, 08:05 AM
yeah I figure if you cant change the oil in a quad you are not the brightest bulb in the box lol but he could have at least given me a heads up.

I dont know when the last time he changed the oil was but the oil did not look bad at all, smelled of gas just a bit but not bad bad.

When I pulled the plug I shined a light in the whole to take a peek and everything is shiny and good and the valves we just about right when I adjusted them so I think that other than the jb weld stuff he did ok maintenance on it.

eprovenzano
03-12-2009, 08:05 AM
I I had the same problem. I went to drain the oil from the tank, and the tube snapped off. As a short term repair, I used an epoxy, (I forget the name), but we use it where I work. It sets up as hard as steel in 24 hours. So far its been good, but yes i do plan on getting another tank, and using the repaired one as a spare.

While the epoxy was still pliable, I installed the tank back onto the quad, so the rubber grommet would form the epoxy to ensure a tighter fit. I let it dry for 24 hours, The epoxy repair "looks" good, but yes I plan on getting another tank.

Newrider08
03-12-2009, 08:12 AM
oh and here is a picture of the carbon fiber graphics you requested, im not sure where they were purchased from but they look pretty good.

as you can see from the pics there are a couple of those slide lock tabs broken on the front fender but it doesnt seem to affect anything
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1341/018uum.jpg

Newrider08
03-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Yeah the epoxy he put on it has held so well I am having trouble getting it to come off so I might just leave it and save it for a spare, I could have put it back on 4 days ago and rode it but I chose to just wait on the one I ordered instead of doing the work twice

honda400ex2003
03-12-2009, 08:37 AM
Hey thanks alot for the pic man. That is awesome. Thanks again steve

ae13291
03-12-2009, 02:55 PM
where did u find frame paint man i have been looking for that forever

Newrider08
03-12-2009, 07:02 PM
I actually ended up using suzuki frame touch up paint but it matched perfect

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/cyclesurge/the-293/LTR-450-LTZ-250/Detail