PDA

View Full Version : TDC and taking off head

shok47
03-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Ok, Im nervous about what I just did. They say you should have everything TDC before removing the top parts. Well I thought it was TDC sinc eI just did the valves so after taking the cover off, I noticed the T was not there. I then turned the chain and camshaft until the T lined up.

Im wondering what will happen when I put it back together. Will it blow? Cause serious damage??

OR will I have readjust my valves??

drew416ex
03-11-2009, 08:47 PM
as long as you time it with the mark on "t" and the cam facing the right way you will be fine. Always adjust the valves after it is taken apart even if they were in adjustment when you took it apart becasue most likely they will be out of adjustment.

shok47
03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
thats what I wanted to hear :)

Now for the infamous ticking in the engine noise to fix. I first checked the valves and they were pretty good. THe feeler slid in with some friciton on all of them except for the left exhaust. That one didnt have resistance. I decided to check the cam chain because it seems like that is always a solution. Right now I only have the top part off, where the valve springs are still sticking out and the cam is still connected to the chain.
Also the camshaft has the paint worn off to full silver, from black

Is is possible to determine if the chain is causing the tack tack noise?

Do you need to drain or tip the quad to take off the right side panel for the cam chain?

fishnfergie
03-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Are you talking about the actual cam lobes having no paint. If you are they do not have paint on that part of the cam to begin with.

droppedmazda
03-11-2009, 10:20 PM
take the tensioner bolts loose and see if the it starts to come out as your taking the bolts loose. if it has an aftermarket cam, chances are you'll never get all the tick out of it. if the tensioner does not come out some when the bolts are loose, the timing chain is bad and you need to replace it. you need to drain the oil or turn it up on the side if ur goin to take the clutch cover off.

shok47
03-12-2009, 11:07 AM
the tensioner assembly that is held by the 3 bolts or the long chain guide? and this doesnt require the cover removal?

also Do I need to replace the gasket on the top case cover since it looks basicaly new and is not stuck to the case?

I dont think Im not sure if I take off the side case yet since I just got it ALL of it back together after my PC. There is a tick noise but its been going on for awhile and nothings happened.

droppedmazda
03-12-2009, 11:45 AM
the tensioner has 2 bolts and is on the back of the cylinder by the carb. you dont have to take the side cover off to check it. you dont have to replace the gasket if it looks new and its probably metal, most that i have seen usually are.

shok47
03-12-2009, 12:20 PM
awesome. thats what I like to hear! :)

and should i take th entire tensioner out? Is it a hassle to get back in or is it as described in the clymers; just turn the middle screw and it will pull in itself?

or should I just seee if it pulls out easily?

shok47
03-12-2009, 02:04 PM
how and what does the tensioner do? Does it go in between the chain or keep the chain from moving??

droppedmazda
03-12-2009, 02:46 PM
it keeps tension on the chain so it stays in time. you have to turn the little screw in the tensioner clockwise to pull it back in and hold until you get the tensioner reinstalled, then u pull out your screwdriver and the tensioner will put tension back on the chain guide again and take the slack out of the chain. make sure its in time when u put it back in. when u take the tensioner loose it should start pushing itself out as your loosening the bolts. if it dont come come out any, the timing chain needs to be replaced.

shok47
03-12-2009, 03:48 PM
alright, thanks!

I just checked it and it does come out while I unbolt it. I did not take it all out though, I just checked to see if there was any and there was. So does this mean the ticking is not from the chain?

droppedmazda
03-12-2009, 07:12 PM
id say the timing isn't bad but dont tighten that tensioner back up before u run the tensioner back in.

shok47
03-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Shouldnt it be in there already? I put everything back together and rode it for about 3 hours. Ticking is still there though, it increases as the rpm's go up. Im going to have to recheck my valves b/c I dont believe I did them right this time.

BossHogg420
03-12-2009, 10:54 PM
theres always going to be some ticking going on with those motors...there infamous for ticking...mines ticked from the day i brought it home from the dealer checked the values and everything still does it....your prob fine

shok47
03-13-2009, 08:10 AM
thats what m friends say, Its not a biggie. But im going to redo the valves once more to make sure because the way I did it last time, I was all over theplace