PDA

View Full Version : My wife says quading is not exercise...

nakomis0
03-11-2009, 06:02 PM
My wife is very serious that quading is not much exercise. I laughed and told here she couldn't ride hard for more than 2 laps.

Anyone else agree with her?

Pipeless416
03-11-2009, 06:19 PM
honestly, did you think anybody on an all ATV forum would agree with her? lol

powermadd400ex
03-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416

for real haha
im sore all over when im done riding, and thats when i dont crash :devil:

BLU82
03-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Give her your quad and a track and she'll find out pretty quick. That or your quad will hit something pretty quick.:eek2:

859davidt
03-11-2009, 06:30 PM
I took my wife to a race while we were dating. She said she could beat those guys out there. I bought her a quad and she learned real quick that its not easy. 10 years later, she does pretty good. We ran nationals in 02 and 03 and she finished pretty good. Now after a break and 2 kids we'll see how it goes this year. But I notice she's training harder now then she did then. She know's it is not easy to go out there and beat a quad for an entire moto without being in shape. Motocroos is the most physically demanding sport out there and MX Quad Racing is double that. Good luck convincing your wife. It was the single, biggest reason we started back again, for the EXERCISE.

03-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Plenty of people think the same thing because they think "the motor just pulls you around and you dont use any effort" - dumb broad. I challenge/invite everyone that says that to come out riding with me. Havent had someone even attempt it probally for the fear that they are wrong. More hurts after hard riding than probally anything I have ever done.

MX MaNiAc 06
03-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Exercise? How the hell do you get any type of "exercise" sitting there pushing the throttle? haha We've all heard it. They can choose not to believe us how agonizing it can be to race motocross. They just don't have the courage to try it for themselves. ;)

muddy400EX
03-11-2009, 06:48 PM
the only way to show her how hard it is, is to put on her on the quad and say "ride away" lol

deathman53
03-11-2009, 07:03 PM
After a nice, long whoop section, there isn't one part of your body that isn't sore. Holding the throttle open and leaping the tops of whoops, while moving your body back/forth/up/down isn't easy at all. Driving into corners and leaning all the way over one after another is quite tiring also. I hardly was able to walk the first time I rode my atv for several hours. After , recovering form a very bad accident, I rode my trike(atc200x) for a total of 8, 1 mile laps. I hardly had enough strength and stamina to put the trike back onmy truck. I was very sore the next day. Aggressive riding is quite abusive on your body. My brother said the same thing some years ago. He rode my 250r for ~1 hour and was plenty sore the next day. He also crashed on it and would never ride again. I read some years ago, that Motocross and swimming use something like 90% of the muscles in the human body, thats alot to get sore.

buck440
03-11-2009, 07:24 PM
i've been out of riding for a few months and i took my friends bike out for a ride and maannnn that ride made me so sore.

csr250r
03-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Anyone who said that has not raced a Quad A moto in 100% humidity 95 degrees with no wind and breaking bumps the size of small woops everywhere on the track, that is a workout that makes you ready to take a cold shower:blah: .

O yeah, and stock shocks dont help in that situation either haha.

justen08
03-11-2009, 07:44 PM
csr250r that sound like where i live 100% humidity and 95 degrees and i just started riding quads it is some work the good thing its enjoyable work

Warnerade
03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
just tell her to go climb a rope for ten minutes...up and down, that might get your upper body about the same soreness.

bens250ex
03-11-2009, 07:55 PM
my girlfriend works out everyday she loves to ride her 440 she says she don't have to work out when she does. she says it really helps tone her better than regular exercise. but yea ridin is deff a work out.

csr250r
03-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by justen08
csr250r that sound like where i live 100% humidity and 95 degrees and i just started riding quads it is some work the good thing its enjoyable work

Yeah I will probably ride until I can't anymore. Best hobbie of mine by far.

My dad told me the other day that if I put as much money into my mustang as i do my quad i could have a "hot ride"-(he's pretty oldschool) and I told him I would rather have a fast quad than a fast car. The police don't really like it when i race the car either:ermm:

jesseweaver
03-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by csr250r
Yeah I will probably ride until I can't anymore. Best hobbie of mine by far.

My dad told me the other day that if I put as much money into my mustang as i do my quad i could have a "hot ride"-(he's pretty oldschool) and I told him I would rather have a fast quad than a fast car. The police don't really like it when i race the car either:ermm:

haha i get the same thing, my dad would much rather me spend money on my mustang to but i'd rather have a nice bike to.

and yes you do get a workout. im still sore from riding sunday and monday morning it took a good 15 mins to just get my clothes on. i've heard about it being written in some higher more respected magazine that motocross was the most physically demanding sport. anyone know of this article??

and i dont see how the pros do it. granted, i dont train like they do but i go out and run hard for 10 minutes and im half dead. i cant see how they're riding twice as hard as me and go for 30 minutes:confused: i get off my bike lol and have to physically push my hands against something to get them straightened out because they stay in the grip position.

hypersnyper6947
03-11-2009, 10:08 PM
funny my neck is sore from my last wreck a month ago, and my whole back and biceps are sore from riding yesterday, it is def a great workout. Its pretty good cardio too.

300racer
03-11-2009, 10:14 PM
motocross is a very physical sport! i have ran both mx and xc and i would have to say xc beats the living heck out of you for 2 hours a little more physically demanding on the rider and quad but either way it is a work out! i played football for 4 years in high school and even two a days didn't make me feel like i do after a race.

03-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
My wife is very serious that quading is not much exercise. I laughed and told here she couldn't ride hard for more than 2 laps.

My doc tole me the same thing. People who dont ride think riding a quad is the same as riding in a elec wheel chair. They think you just sit their.

06 Honda 450R
03-11-2009, 10:59 PM
theres these kids at school that say after i say you have to be good, how can you be good at riding, all you do is sit there and move your thumb, the rest of the arguement lead to bickering at each other, they are pure city slickers and have no idea what riding does and how fun it is

deathcorefan2
03-11-2009, 11:06 PM
i hate people who underestimate quads. like my friend who is determined to think that his V6 Mustang [lol] will beat my 400ex 0-60. hahahahahahahahahaha

hypersnyper6947
03-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by 06 Honda 450R
theres these kids at school that say after i say you have to be good, how can you be good at riding, all you do is sit there and move your thumb, the rest of the arguement lead to bickering at each other, they are pure city slickers and have no idea what riding does and how fun it is

Maybe with a utility quad on some girly fishers atv world trail rides, but real trail riding or mx really kicks your a**, and you feel it the next day for sure. Those of you who have watched fishers atv world will know what im talking about.

06 Honda 450R
03-11-2009, 11:17 PM
i know exactly what your sayin, kinda off topic but they have a winch for evry one of them things, back when i had my recon i had a strap to pull people out, one time i was pullin my bro out jerked it to hard and snapped the strap and left a huge, i mean huge bruse on my back, that was the last day i ever pulled anyone out lol

tri5ron
03-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0

Well I have to agree with your Wife. I think she is right.

(as long as you never take the quad off the trailer, and only sit on it with the engine not running)

extremeblastr
03-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by csr250r
Anyone who said that has not raced a Quad A moto in 100% humidity 95 degrees with no wind and breaking bumps the size of small woops everywhere on the track, that is a workout that makes you ready to take a cold shower:blah: .

O yeah, and stock shocks dont help in that situation either haha.

ok now replace those breaking bumps with holes the size of your quad and you have race weekend at southwick

SRH
03-12-2009, 12:25 AM
my gf always rolled her eyes when id say i was in decent shape, i got a slight pot belly but my cardio endurance and strength were good, i could run a 15 minute moto at 90% so i got her a quad, she works out 3 times a week, along with my other buddy, so me and my cousin who are both A level mx riders take them out on the track, and they couldnt beleive we could ride that fast for that long which in reality we were play riding for 45 minutes at the speed of a b or c rider, they had to work hard to even ride the track at a 1/8 of the speed, lets just say they had a whole new respect for the sport, sometimes thats how you gotta do it, now if you put me on the track with a pro am or pro rider id be like god how do they do it....its amazing the levels of ability

now im all crippled up from a wreck so im curious to see how much faster i am than them being paralyzed..its discouraging that people will be kicking my *** on the track tha couldnt hold a candle to me before but the fact i may be able to beat guys in perfect shape might be a rewarding feeling too

Bryson#221
03-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Pipeless416

Haha. True that, Mike. Starting this Saturday, I will be racing MY ATV through a 4 lap, 6 mile track doing Grand Prix/MX...try doing that for a season (through November).

Heck..you don't even have to ride the thing to get excercise. Try lifting one into the back of a lifted pickup!!

She'd be in a world of hurt, my friend.

csr250r
03-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by SRH

now im all crippled up from a wreck so im curious to see how much faster i am than them being paralyzed..its discouraging that people will be kicking my *** on the track tha couldnt hold a candle to me before but the fact i may be able to beat guys in perfect shape might be a rewarding feeling too

There is a young guy that is paralyzed from the waist down who races Pro Oval in Pipestone MN flattrack. He is dang fast. Hang in there bud.

pepshocks
03-12-2009, 11:03 AM
i made the trip to florida to race round 1 gncc and we got there a day early so we decided to go practice at croom. i was with wes stone and gncc #10 jarrod mcclure riding them whoops, like 3 miles but noting of whoops section and "wow" i was sore when sunday came to race. you sure do get a work out

ALAMX37
03-12-2009, 01:15 PM
Haha, simply riding your quad isn't much work. Now riding for speed is when everything changes. I remember how I felt after my very first race. I limped around for a week.

03-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by pepshocks
i made the trip to florida to race round 1 gncc and we got there a day early so we decided to go practice at croom. i was with wes stone and gncc #10 jarrod mcclure riding them whoops, like 3 miles but noting of whoops section and "wow" i was sore when sunday came to race. you sure do get a work out

those conditions have created the greatest riders in history. I think nothing of whoops since I ride at Croom all the time its my local spot. After a while you get used to miles of whoops and its no surprise. Carmichael and Stewart both came from Florida riding and that was said to have shaped them into such great riders. Sand gets rough real quick, most whoops in sand are bigger than the whoops at any motocross track and when you become accustomed to them and getting beat up you tend to whoop some arse. They groom the main trails created in Croom now every other week or so. What a blast when its flat to be 4th an 5th gear through the trees.

fastredrider44
03-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by 859davidt
Motocroos is the most physically demanding sport out there and MX Quad Racing is double that.

I disagree. XC racing is worse. MX will wear you out, but Florida GNCC = +50 miles of sand whoops. I've have never felt as bad from riding as I did this year. I ran afternoon, 5 laps at 12 miles a lap.

fastredrider44
03-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by pepshocks

I saw Wes busted out the R. Probably gonna be a few more follow suit since none of us can afford new stuff. Gonna be rapairing all the old R's laying around. lol.

03-12-2009, 07:12 PM
you guys make me feel good, thanks lol

300extreme#8
03-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Back when I was racing I used to stay in shape and had killer abs. Now that I've quit I just sit on my *** and drink beer. I tend to look at old pics of myself and say dam what happened to them abs. Haha