PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on my paper?

416exfreak
03-11-2009, 05:17 PM
I had to write a paper for my English 3 Honors class.

The two characters had to be Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson. The paper is supposed to sound like Emily's un-named sister is narrating, and also have some dialogue.

Read it and tell me what you think if you dont mind. Its probably going to be boring to you 12,13,14 year olds...

And btw- if your criticism is not costructive, please keep it on your side of the keyboard.

This tale is told to us through the writings of Emily Dickinson's sister, who without her sister's permission, invited Walt Whitman over for a Sunday lunch. She stayed close and wrote her take of the afternoon as she could by method of eavesdropping. It has been translated into modern vernacular by the students of ******* High School.

The day is clear, sunny, the air crisp. The temperature is quite mild, mid 60's at the most. The birds are chirping and playing amongst the leaves; Cardinals and Bluejays, fist sized and feisty. My sister was completely oblivious to Mr. Whitman's visit, which complicated matters when he was introduced into the foyer. She took one horrified look at a man who's books are forbidden in our house, and ran into her room in a panic. I eventually managed to coax her down from her room, and introduced the two to one another. They are polar opposites really, Emily being so shy and reclusive, while Walt almost seems to be as carefree as a homeless man.

They've chosen to eat their lunch under a large canopy oak in the back yard. Emily surprised me when she took charge for a brief moment and said they would sit and eat there. She tends to love nature. I don't know exactly what it is that she likes about nature, it's dirty and filled with creatures that never bathe. She seems to be handling the situation quite well, despite her feelings of resentment towards our father and other male authority figures. Father was always very strict with Emily, he never allowed her to spend time with her friends, never allowed her to go meet boys. He also forbade certain books in the house, and Mr. Whitman's books were some of them.

As they sit and talk, I daydream of them being married. It is quite silly, but they seem to be perfect for one another. Thier common intrests as writers and people, strike me as a little bit odd, especially on Mr. Whitman's part. They both seem to have an odd intrest in death and religion. Mr. Whitman does not strike me as the type of man who would dwell on such a dreary subject. He is all the time smiling, laughing, and enjoying life as it comes at him. It does not surprise me however, that my sister dwells on such things. She seems too alone and in her own world. She refuses to open up to anyone or anything, except her faithful and silent pieces of paper.

The following excerpt was taken from Mrs. Dickinson's memoirs, and is a small portion of the dialouge between Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson.

- "Pray tell Emily, have you ever seen the stars from the beaches of the sea?"
- "Why no, Walt, I have never been able to gaze upon the stars from the oceans edge"
- "Mr. Whitman, may I ask of you, a favor?"
- "Yes Emily, you may ask of me anything you desire"
- "Are there words to describe the starry skies of the beach?"
- "Yes, my dear, there certainly are.."
- "I would love to hear such words, pray tell Mr. Whitman."

-"On the beach at night, stands a child with her father, watching the east, the autumn sky. Up through the darkness, while ravening clouds, the burial clouds, in black masses spreading, lower sullen and fast athwart and down the sky, amid a transparent clear belt of ether yet left in the east, ascends large and calm the lord-star Jupiter, and nigh at hand, only a very little above, swim the delicate sisters the Pleiades.

From the beach the child holding the hand of her father, those burial-clouds that lower victorious soon to devour all, watching, silently weeps.

Weep not, child,weep not, my darling, with these kisses let me remove your tears, the ravening clouds shall not long be victorious, they shall not long possess the sky, they devour the stars only in apparition, Jupiter shall emerge, be patient, watch again another night, the Pleiades shall emerge, they are immortal, all those stars both silvery and golden shall shine out again, the great stars and the little ones shall shine out again, they endure, the vast immortal suns and the long-enduring pensive moons shall again shine.

Then dearest child mournest thou only for Jupiter?
Considerest thou alone the burial of the stars?

Something there is, (With my lips soothing thee, adding I whisper, I give thee the first suggestion, the problem and indirection,) something there is more immortal even than the stars, (Many the burials, many the days and nights, passing away,) something that shall endure longer even than lustrous Jupiter loger than sun or any revolving satellite, o the radiant sisters,the Pleiades."

- "Mr. Whitman, it sounds to me as if you witnessed a burial on a beach."
- "My dear, everyone has witnessed a burial. It takes but a stretch of the imagination to incorporate such a setting."

- "Do you have any words on the rigors of life, Emily?"
- "Indeed I do Mr. Whitman".
- "Pray tell!, lets hear them shall we?!?"

- "Much madness is divinest sense to a discerning eye, much sense the starkest madness. ’T is the majority in this, as all, prevails. Assent, and you are sane, demur and you ’re straightway dangerous, and handled with a chain."

- "It sounds to me as if you have had conflict with members of authority, possibly from defying the conventions of society, or trying to deviate from the everyday?"
- "You are correct Mr. Whitman. I do have my issues with authority."
- "As do most good people, Emily. Lets take a stroll down to the waterside, shall we?"
- "A most splendid idea Mr. Whitman."
- "I must insist, please call me Walt. This is not a formal occasion, nor will it be."

Mr. Whitman got to his feet, and offered his hand to my sister. They ventured off into the beginnings of a spectacular sunset. I could hear no further, nor did I care to follow them anymore. Mr. Whitman was of the gentlmen type. He believed strongly in chivalry, or so his gestations and demeanor seemed to promote.

The following was obtained through other memoirs of Mrs. Dickinson, wrote in later years after the death of her beloved sister Emily.

My sister and Mr. Whitman never saw one another or spoke again after that day. She wrote many poems to him, all of which were lost in a disasterous fire. I fear that all of my sister's writings were lost in the fire. It seems as though all my sister ever did from that day on, was shrink farther and farther back into the abyss' of depression and pain. She wrote more poems of death, more poems of nature and more poems of religion and its significance in the role of death. I tend to think that she poured her soul into her writings as a way of insuring that she would be immortal.

By the time of her death, Emily was nought but a hollow being. Her eyes no longer retained the gleam and life they had in her younger years, particularly the day of Mr. Whitman's visit. I think that my sister truly fell in love with Mr. Whitman, and lived a life of trying to repair her beating heart with threads of sadness and anguish, stitched into paper and hid away for none to see, just as she kept herself hidden, for none to see.

97blaster200
03-11-2009, 08:46 PM
to be in highschool...it seems like it lacks some imagination and sensory. but its a crappy report. i guess im used to being a little harsher because i was never in honors classes in highschool. and honestly, who the hell would want to read all that garbage and tell you what they thought about it. thats what your teachers are for. and the next time you bash on a 13 yr old saying that his poem lacks imagination you should think twice before you post about it on the internet.

oh and honestly i would fail you for that report without even reading it.

powermadd400ex
03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
if your criticism is not costructive, please keep it on your side of the keyboard

obviously you didnt read this

416exfreak
03-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by 97blaster200
to be in highschool...it seems like it lacks some imagination and sensory. but its a crappy report. i guess im used to being a little harsher because i was never in honors classes in highschool. and honestly, who the hell would want to read all that garbage and tell you what they thought about it. thats what your teachers are for. and the next time you bash on a 13 yr old saying that his poem lacks imagination you should think twice before you post about it on the internet.

oh and honestly i would fail you for that report without even reading it.

Way to be THAT guy...:chinese:

90ccDad asked for opinions, so I gave him mine. It was good poem, but could have been better, just as my paper can. No one ever writes a perfect peice, but being a douche just to spite someone proves just how immature you are my friend.

scuzz
03-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Way to be THAT guy...:chinese:

Originally posted by 416exfreak Then you just lowered yourself to a levl or two below the douchy service rep. Congrats. Way to be THAT guy...

Is that your favorite reply?

Bryson#221
03-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I really really liked it. I think you have a great imagination. ...Seems a little Shakespearian almost. It was easy to follow and very detailed. Great use of metaphors and the layout of the dialogue was clear.

Good description:

"They are polar opposites really, Emily being so shy and reclusive, while Walt almost seems to be as carefree as a homeless man."

I LOVE this:

"Up through the darkness, while ravening clouds, the burial clouds, in black masses spreading, lower sullen and fast athwart and down the sky, amid a transparent clear belt of ether yet left in the east, ascends large and calm the lord-star Jupiter, and nigh at hand, only a very little above, swim the delicate sisters the Pleiades."

You are very creative!!! No typos as far as my eye can see.

Is this for a college writing course?

scuzz
03-12-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Bryson#221

"Up through the darkness, while ravening clouds, the burial clouds, in black masses spreading, lower sullen and fast athwart and down the sky, amid a transparent clear belt of ether yet left in the east, ascends large and calm the lord-star Jupiter, and nigh at hand, only a very little above, swim the delicate sisters the Pleiades."

You do know those are Walt Whitman's words and not his right?

Originally posted by OP
My sister and Mr. Whitman never saw one another or spoke again after that day. She wrote many poems to him, all of which were lost in a disasterous fire. I fear that all of my sister's writings were lost in the fire. It seems as though all my sister ever did from that day on, was shrink farther and farther back into the abyss' of depression and pain. She wrote more poems of death, more poems of nature and more poems of religion and its significance in the role of death. I tend to think that she poured her soul into her writings as a way of insuring that she would be immortal.

You mention the fire twice in two sequential sentences and say essentially the same thing - you might want to fix that.

Also the "I tend to think" should be something more than that and sounds more present day monologue than Victorian era. "It is my heartfelt belief" - or something like that. It's my belief that writings of that era had a soulful conviction to them that every word was pondered over and purposefully put there so I believe the words of "her sister" should be as such also.

Remember these people didn't have TV, Radio or Internet - this is how they communicated and did so with a passion.

416exfreak
03-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
You do know those are Walt Whitman's words and not his right?

You mention the fire twice in two sequential sentences and say essentially the same thing - you might want to fix that.

Also the "I tend to think" should be something more than that and sounds more present day monologue than Victorian era. "It is my heartfelt belief" - or something like that. It's my belief that writings of that era had a soulful conviction to them that every word was pondered over and purposefully put there so I believe the words of "her sister" should be as such also.

Remember these people didn't have TV, Radio or Internet - this is how they communicated and did so with a passion.

I had to turn in a bibliography of sources, so I didnt try to say I wrote those poems.

And I wound up changing those exact parts around a good bit more. I guess I'll see what I got on it in about a week.

And yes, that pretty much is one of my favorite replies. It works in any situation where someone is being a douche, isn't technically "name calling" and gets the message across.

Also, I dont beleive I ever appologized for saying that to you in the other thread. So, if you'll accept it, I appologize.

416exfreak
03-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Bryson#221
I really really liked it. I think you have a great imagination. ...Seems a little Shakespearian almost. It was easy to follow and very detailed. Great use of metaphors and the layout of the dialogue was clear.

Good description:

"They are polar opposites really, Emily being so shy and reclusive, while Walt almost seems to be as carefree as a homeless man."

I LOVE this:

Not for a college course. Im only in English 3 Honors. English 4 Honors and AP Literature are in a whole different league from me:)

Thank you for the compliments, and those poems were wrote by Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson themselves, not me. :)

250R-Dee
03-12-2009, 07:23 PM
416exfreak - do yourself a favor and learn how to take criticism. Have you ever heard of constructive criticism? Use the criticism to better yourself because no person is void of faults!

If your instructor/teacher did not tell you this project was to be a group effort you should not be posting it on the internet before it is graded.

Please refrain form reporting a thread just because an opinion differs from your own!!

Everybody else - be nice to people with thin skin!!

Mxjunkie
03-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by scuzz
Is that your favorite reply?

lol, wonder who THAT guy is anyways..? The mystery continues... :scary:

scuzz
03-13-2009, 07:23 AM

Also, I dont beleive I ever appologized for saying that to you in the other thread. So, if you'll accept it, I appologize.

Awe it's all good. I'll give you that e-hug here too.

[e-hug.]

416exfreak
03-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by 250R-Dee
416exfreak - do yourself a favor and learn how to take criticism. Have you ever heard of constructive criticism? Use the criticism to better yourself because no person is void of faults!

If your instructor/teacher did not tell you this project was to be a group effort you should not be posting it on the internet before it is graded.

Please refrain form reporting a thread just because an opinion differs from your own!!

Everybody else - be nice to people with thin skin!!

It WAS a group project.

And can you show me where I got riled up over criticism on this paper?

I posted it FOR the constructive criticism, so I could get others opinions on weak spots, and work to better them.

And I haven't reported any threads in a long time, so im kinda WTF on that one?:huh

wilkin250r
03-13-2009, 01:24 PM
And I haven't reported any threads in a long time, so im kinda WTF on that one?:huh

Look, you harshly criticized a much younger kid's poem the other day. Not that there is anything terribly wrong with that, but you should have realized that doing so would make you the "bad guy". And then you post your own paper, asking for comments.

Hello, McFly?!? What did you THINK would happen?

You should have know right away that you were going to get some negative comments. You should have known that somebody was going to give you grief, even if it had nothing to due with your paper and everything to do with your harsh criticism the other day.

I'm not going to flak over your comments to the kids poem, you gave your honest opinion. But really, honestly, you should have known this was coming.

Do us a favor, next time you create a problem and invite negative comments, don't respond to them and make them worse. Just ignore them.

The report was good, but the sentence structure, especially in the beginning, is a little choppy.

416exfreak
03-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Look, you harshly criticized a much younger kid's poem the other day. Not that there is anything terribly wrong with that, but you should have realized that doing so would make you the "bad guy". And then you post your own paper, asking for comments.

You should have know right away that you were going to get some negative comments. You should have known that somebody was going to give you grief, even if it had nothing to due with your paper and everything to do with your harsh criticism the other day.

I'm not going to flak over your comments to the kids poem, you gave your honest opinion. But really, honestly, you should have known this was coming.

Do us a favor, next time you create a problem and invite negative comments, don't respond to them and make them worse. Just ignore them.

The report was good, but the sentence structure, especially in the beginning, is a little choppy.

Thanks Wilkin!

I know it was harsh, but the criticism was meant to be constructive, and I highly doubt if a 13 year old lost sleep b/c someone on an internet forum said that thier poem could have used some sensory words.:ermm:

I knew someone would come in and say something, but im still wondering exactly what 250R-Dee is talking about.

extremeblastr
03-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

completely understandable for someone to give him a hard time but at least what he wrote on the other thread was CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM and not him just trying to be a pain in the a** in the hopes of getting on his nerves like the first reply in this one.

motofreak2772
03-14-2009, 12:00 AM
Seems as if you posted this just to get some sort of ego boost after criticizing some kids poem.

Mxjunkie
03-14-2009, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by motofreak2772
Seems as if you posted this just to get some sort of ego boost after criticizing some kids poem.

lol that kinda does make sense since he put it'd be boring for that age range of members to read it.. This may tie into that way to be that guy mystery we were wondering about.. Looks like we might know who THAT guy is after all.. :blah:

416exfreak
03-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
lol that kinda does make sense since he put it'd be boring for that age range of members to read it.. This may tie into that way to be that guy mystery we were wondering about.. Looks like we might know who THAT guy is after all.. :blah:

Lawl. I may be THAT guy in certain situations, but THAT guy is always changing from thread to thread.

I put my paper up because it was due the next day, and I wanted to get some opinions on some ways to maybe change it and make it just a little bit better.

Nothing to do with an ego boost. What I wrote in the other thread was my honest opinion. Sensory words can make a peice SOOOO much better.

For instance, tell me which sentence sounds better to you Josh.

1. The gray bird flew through the air, between the buildings.

2. The gray and white falcon , soared through the air like a knife, diving and gliding amongst the steel skyscrapers.

What I wrote was indeed constructive criticism, not just me trying to give him a hard time.

wilkin250r
03-14-2009, 11:41 AM
but im still wondering exactly what 250R-Dee is talking about.

I'm guessing it was a misunderstanding. The post got reported to the mods, which is what Dee and I are doing in here. Most often when something like this happens, it's the thread-starter that reports it, because they're usually the ones most butt-hurt about it somebody "ruining their thread".

Dee probably thought YOU were the one that reported it. To be honest, I almost made the same mistake myself, I had to go back and double-check who actually reported the thread. Like I said, it's USUALLY the thread starter, but in this case it wasn't. It's an understandable mistake.