PDA

View Full Version : chain and sprocket gearing

dangitsbrandon
03-11-2009, 04:12 PM
im getting a new chain and sprocket kit. i got the 06 which has the stock gearin 14/39. im thinking about doing a 13/38 or 13/39. which is preferred? i do mostly trail riding and i like a little more bottom end.

hypersnyper6947
03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
How do you like your current gearing, and what size tires do you have and do you plan on changing tire size any time soon?

Be specific what do you like and dislike about your current gearing.

03-11-2009, 06:24 PM
forget re-gearing just make up for higher gearing with more power :D That isnt a cheaper route but deffinately better. Currently I have absolutly no bog. It just goes. You can stab the gas wide open from idle and it will take off and keep going. Higher gearing IMO is better if you can lug down low in turns but have enough for the longest straights you find without changing gears. Trails 2nd gear is only used on the extremly slow parts where there are tight trees. For MX they say you want to be in 3rd gear most of the time and thats usually the gear i'm in when jumping because it has enough pull and speed to clear quite a bit. If I hit 2nd in the turns its fast but runs out mid turn and I have to shift. I cant sacrifice 3rd gear to be shorter because 4th gear might have the speed but not the power or snap for jumping. Low RPM on a jump usually = nose diving. Then if I lower it my 2nd gear will be a blink and 2st gear will be completly useless. I figure after a cam and piston is put in there i'll have enough power to whip around every turn in 3rd and have snap.

dangitsbrandon
03-11-2009, 07:07 PM
i dont like my current gearing at all right now because im not riding it haha. my chain snapped on me. i was waiting on it. i got it from someone who abused this thing more than you would think. i was just tryin to do something different. I have stock tires all the way around and a stage 2 jet kit with uni filter with no top lid and a stock shorty muffler for performance things. my tires i wanna shoot for are 18x10-8 or 18x10-9 for the rear and 19x6-10 or 20x6-10 for the front with razr mx tires

03-11-2009, 07:12 PM
dont gear it down with 18" tires, those are your lower gearing. You can but you will probally top out at 50mph and be shifting one after another right away.

dangitsbrandon
03-11-2009, 07:13 PM
ok so pretty much stick with stock gearing?

03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
yes, with 18's it will be like you dropping a tooth in the front. I run a 13/39 but with 20's. Once I get some 18's Im putting my 14t back on.

dangitsbrandon
03-11-2009, 07:21 PM
good deal. thanks guys.